PDA

View Full Version : Doesn,t anyone have 5100 ?? is it only me !!

botros
10-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Hi Every one ,
why i c this froum for only 5100 (Which means it deserve a special forum ) , but there is no any post about it ??

this handset is great & nearly same price as 6610 & 7210 ., but with flash light & tempreture meter & about 100KB more than other mentioned models .

there r other defferences such the Headset internal curcuit in the phone ( cause it can smartly Identfy only original headset as stereo & all compatable can be used as Mono only ) , but this doesn,t happened on 6610 & 7210 .

also there a problme with battry for this model ( only stays 2 days ) where in 6610 stays 4 to 7 days & i had some feedback from other 5100that it stayes 4 days !!!!

any how all 5100 owners should post there info , so when there is a problem we can discusse here .

Botros

miloka
10-10-2003, 12:10 PM
i have also 5100. but i could not find any info about that phone or any other users. in this forum i think there are not many people who use 5100. if someone has softwares or any other stuff please write here.

Thanks...

Gee
13-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Its not that nobody has one its because no one seems to have any problems with them they seem to be quite reliable phones if you read the rest of the forums its always, no signal, dead phones, no audio etc etc. but the 5100 seems to be a trouble free phone so far.
Botros try use a different battery and see if that helps

botros
20-10-2003, 12:56 AM
HI Gee ,
so u have a 5100 or What ?
if u have it ,
how much time u get standby time ?
& what is the round figure Tempreture u r in ? cause i think that this battry thing is realted with tempreture cause in summer is used to stay 48 hours max , & now it stays upto 67 hours !!

Also did anyone tried the compatable headset ? (HDS-3) & the phone recognize it as mono only ??

so is there ant trick in the original ?

Thaks ,
Botros

Gee
20-10-2003, 01:11 AM
36hrs stand by the temp is 15c do you use the radio or intergrated handsfree a lot because when i do battery last 2 days only

botros
20-10-2003, 03:10 PM
well Gee ,
i know the temp now is 15 , but i didn,t know how much stand by time u get ?

any how i heared it,s network related thing !!

i play a lot ( about 45minutes aday ) , but not using the radio .

could u tell me what is your battry made in ?
i have it ( Made in Hungery ) .
i know there r Chzek & China & Hungery & may be finiland .

Also what is your software version ?
Press *#0000# & dial to see it , ( i have 3.02 ,, 13-12-02 ,,, NPM6) .

Botros .

Thanh
21-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi guys :)

I remember having replied to a similar thread a little while ago. It regards the battery times.

You can't complain about having a "low standby time" and then saying "i play 45 minutes a day"....... yuk!

Determine your standby time (STANDBY that is!). Let the phone on untill it is dead flat and turns itself off. Then KEEP IT OFF and charge it for at least 6 hours (!) while it is off. The charging bars may stop moving after 1 1/2 hours, the phone then goes into "trickle charge" which does not happen when it is on! Do this best over night.
Then (phone off!) put in a SIM which's number nobody knows, to make sure that nobody will call or send a message to it. Turn phone ON. And then leave it where it is, do not touch it at all! Untill again it turns itself off due to a empty battery. Now, the time between you starting it up after been fully (and guaranteed FULLY due to trickle charge) charged and turning itself off, with no calls been made, no game played, no radio used, THAT is the STANDBY time, the time the phone STANDS BY available for calls. This may well be over 10 days! Be warned, testing such stuff is time consuming!

What you guys are talking aboiut is "operation time", time in which the phone is actually used for making calls, sending or receiving SMS, radio, gaming and whatever. Every key-press reduces the further standby time. Every second the backlights come on uses energy. Every "beep" does so. When you say you "play 45 minutes a day" and still get 2 days out of it, congratulation! My 6610 could play little over 2 hours non-stop before going flat, that is, no further usage (calls etc)! Did you ever notice that, when gaming, the phone get noticable warm? Because running JAVA stuff produces a high CPU load and uses a high amount of power.
Anothet thing: Your phones got a thermometer, and automatically you try to link the battery times with the temperature. Come on guys. The temperature difference of 10 degrees up or down makes a few minutes. Maybe you did not realize that in summer, when you were more exited about the (then obviously newer) phone, you played more games or with the phone itself?? LOL. I found myself having a brand new phone a week ago and killing the battery in a single day just by exploring the all-new functions (camera, WAP, games etc etc etc etc) and now, i am in the third day with calls been made and SMS's sent and received, and the batt is still half full. Yes, playing with a phone reduces battery time!
About "Network related", THAT one is true! Every netwrk contacts your phone every so often and asks it's location. Put the phone near a radio, and you may know of the periodic "GSM noise" coming from the radio. That is when the network "asks" your phone, and it in turn "answers". Some networks do that more often than others, and it is the MAIN factor making out the STANDBY time. A side factor is the signal level, because when you got a weak signal, the phone needs to send it's "answer" to the network at a higher power then when the signal is good. You reach a maximum standby time when you have still seven net-bars shown while your hand wraps the upper part of the phone (very strong signal at that location) and the network "probes" your phone once per hour or so. A low standby time occurs when you have 1-2 net bars shoiwn and the network probes the phone every 5 minutes. That is how Nokia says like "120-350 hours" with 120 being the minimum, under worst conditins, and 350 being the maximum, under best condition. But in any case, without playing game, using radio or making calls............

I hope i could bring some light into the darkness of "standby" time questions..............

Kind regards...
your Thanh

botros
21-10-2003, 11:53 PM
LOL , Thanh
u seem haver answers to all inquiries ,
your explanation is logic & i do understand it ,
but what drive me crazy is this :
i have friends with 6100 , 5100 , ( uses same battry & get a round figure standbytime of 48 hours) & others with 7210,6610 ( uses same battry & get a standbytime of 96 hours ) .& all this people located in Egypt .

& when i go to your forum & other forum they confirm that 5100 have 96hrs stand by ? so i got fuzzy really .

also i used to have Ericsson2618c that hold up to 7 days standby time with taking & playing a lot !!!

any how , i,m used to it ,, & i was only trying to ask for 5100 holder opinian , LOL ,,, I know that u have 6610 & love it .

Botros Ayad

Thanh
22-10-2003, 06:39 AM
Hello again :)

Well i try my best to give my 2 cents when i can share something :)

I have to admitt that at the moment i am actually displaced here, but i won't change my avatar, and the note i CAN'T even change anymore..... but i haven't got a 6610 since 1 1/2 weeks anymore, but a japanese flip phone!! Yes, i defected to the enemy...... using a Sanyo SCP 550 for the sole reason of having migrated to CDMA and the carrier does not have Nokia's available.

But back to that, i also know of people who can under no circumstances use a ordinary 6610 for longer than two days, yet i manage to use mine (i am heavy user!) for 4 days at least. And time over again, my Sanyo... i was very reluctant to it, having read a gazillion of reviews stating "lousy battery times" and having known that of the pretty similar Samsung units..... they say "standby time 2 days when lucky, talktime 1 1/2 hours, data usage 50 minutes"... well, i am in the 3th day with my charge now, had already talked for over one hour on it (but NOT used data!) and still showing two of three bars for battery... i expect it to stand this day, too. And since there is only one CDMA network here, it can't be due to differences in the networks, right?
Maybe your GSM network communicates with ("probes") the phone when in standby more often than that of your friend? Maybe your receiption is lower? MAybe his screen saver kicks in after 10 seconds (mine was set that way) while yours after ten minutes?? All this makes significant differences when using phones with colour screens, because the screen itself uses a lot of power, too. The "screen saver" is actually a "battery saver"! Use it wisely.......

About Ericsson.... i am in the need to say that i had a T20 (the cute, chubby looking one) a longer while ago, and i did not need to chatge it for almost 12 days...... despite using it for at least 25 minutes each day, and having it turned off at night......... some Ericssons have just good battery performance. In turn, it's receiption sucked hell untill i replaced the antenna with one of those flashing antennas, which suddenly boosted the receiption, another thing that nobody ever believed me, but i used it almost 5 months and can only say, yes, it is true.........

Just borrow another phone for a few days and do a real standby tiume test on your 5100 and you will see, it is not that bad :)

Kind regards....
your Thanh

Ron Hyatt
15-11-2003, 03:01 AM
Hello ALL,

first of all,i would like to thank Thanh from Thailand for his comprehensive explanation about battery performance,and YES he `s right in all he said coz battery performance depends on usage,network coverage(something called LOCATION UPDATE done by the GSM network to detect handsets and update the registry.......some technical stuff here:) which really consumes battery(i.e the more the phone searches for the network the more the battery consumption).

Battery CYCLING (leaving the phone on low battery until it turns itself off then charge the battery) really keeps the battery performance high and makes the battery life longer and avoiding charging the battery when there are still some bars in it also helps.

SO,Botros......u dont have 2 worry coz i have the 5100 and the battery stays for around 2 days(with 30 mintues of gaming/day+lots of sms and infra-red connection to the pc on daily basis to load games,applications and polytones+some on and off wap connection via GPRS which drains the battery

The 5100 is considered the most stable phone among the series 40 Nokia`s(5100,6100,6610,7210,7250...etc) ......being made in Germany really matters here although i sometimes experience some problems when i over-do it with downloading games n ringtones to the phone thru wap(the phone freezez and can only be restarted when removing the battery and fitting it back again+it sometimes mutes itself where the polyphonic speaker doesnt work after i download more than 10-12 polytones thru wap!!!).
note: there is only ONE software version for the 5100( v3.02 december 2002).

I am thinking about the new upgrade of the 5100(the 5140 which will be available next spring"april 2004" but until that time comes,i know that i am using one of the best Nokia s40`s present although it looks rough and untraditional but it`s for sure packed with features and good value for money

Ron Hyatt.

botros
15-11-2003, 04:47 AM
hi there ,

Thanks ron for your comment & it was nice to hear about 5140 & it looks good in shape ( 5100 miss the good look ) .

5100 is one of the best phone i ever sow tell now in regards of the (features & durability) , but for some reason i don,t know it doesn,t have goos market share ? cause i sow it very rare in Egypt & even here very few people talks about it .

also it was nice to know that u r from egypt Ron

Botros Ayad .

Thanh
15-11-2003, 05:30 AM
Hello to both of you :)

Just as an information, also in mobile-phone-crazy Thailand, the 5100 has no big fan community. The first turn-off is it's looks. Most people say "eeh that looks like a children's toy". Second is it's size, altough not too big, for most it's too THICK. The very same reasons made already the 5210 a flop here.

I personally think it is a cute phone just because of it's colours, and a phone that doesn't necessary mind a drop on the floor, well, what could be better? And, despite the same or even better features than a 6610, it is much cheaper! 6610 still around 10.000, 5100 just 7.500!

But there goes the logic, this phone is only for people who like it's look.

Kind regards...
Thanh

Ron Hyatt
16-11-2003, 03:54 AM
hi there ,

Thanks ron for your comment & it was nice to hear about 5140 & it looks good in shape ( 5100 miss the good look ) .

5100 is one of the best phone i ever sow tell now in regards of the (features & durability) , but for some reason i don,t know it doesn,t have goos market share ? cause i sow it very rare in Egypt & even here very few people talks about it .

also it was nice to know that u r from egypt Ron

Botros Ayad .

Botros,
the Nokia5140 may have batter features than the 5100 but can u carry a RED phone?i dont think so....lol
besides,the only extras in the 5140 are the VGA cam,digital compass,fm radio used as alarm alert and the push to talk button(which is still a very recent feature),and there is no news about the memory!! and the screen is the same as 5100(4096 passive matrix,128x128,5 lines!!)

at the end,5140 may be a lil better than 5100 BUT for sure will be MUCH more EXPENSIVE(not a good value for money)

time will tell(april 2004)....lol

Ron Hyatt.

Ron Hyatt
16-11-2003, 04:09 AM
Hello to both of you :)

Just as an information, also in mobile-phone-crazy Thailand, the 5100 has no big fan community. The first turn-off is it's looks. Most people say "eeh that looks like a children's toy". Second is it's size, altough not too big, for most it's too THICK. The very same reasons made already the 5210 a flop here.

I personally think it is a cute phone just because of it's colours, and a phone that doesn't necessary mind a drop on the floor, well, what could be better? And, despite the same or even better features than a 6610, it is much cheaper! 6610 still around 10.000, 5100 just 7.500!

But there goes the logic, this phone is only for people who like it's look.

Kind regards...
Thanh

Hello Thanh,

the 5100 is not a good looking phone and it`s thick BUT it`s the most durable phone available today.
most poeple are either interested in small phones(minimal features) OR in smart meduim sized phones packed with features BUT few poeple(including myself) like a balance between features+moderate size+average looks+ GREAT DURABILITY which serves thier needs n lifestyles.
U mentioned that the 5100 costs 7500 Baht(178 US$) BUT that`s coz its made by NOKia NOT made in GERMANY( the later costs 270 US$ in DUBAI....one of the cheapest places in asia!)......i`ve been to Bangkok and saw phones there at MBK and Panthip malls:)

regards,
Ron Hyatt.

ibsuen
16-11-2003, 01:56 PM
HAHA, i noe, nobody here has 5100 and it pisses me off. I really need help but no one is helping me!

Does anyone noe what dct 5100 belongs to? and how i might be able to unlock it?

As i posted somewhere else b4, i read taht wiht some Sony Ericsson fones, you can fiddle with the power or battery or something and waitf or 11 seconds or something and the whole system in the fone will restart. does anyone noe if there's a similar procedure with Nokia fones and specifically the 5100?

crashynot
16-11-2003, 02:25 PM
HAHA, i noe, nobody here has 5100 and it pisses me off. I really need help but no one is helping me!

Does anyone noe what dct 5100 belongs to? and how i might be able to unlock it?

As i posted somewhere else b4, i read taht wiht some Sony Ericsson fones, you can fiddle with the power or battery or something and waitf or 11 seconds or something and the whole system in the fone will restart. does anyone noe if there's a similar procedure with Nokia fones and specifically the 5100?
Hey
Nokia 5100 is a dct4 pone
and to unlock it
all you have to do is post you details
your IMEI and NETWORK to witch the fone is locked too
and post it in the UNLOCK CODEs Part of the FORUM view link below
http://nokiafree.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Thanh
17-11-2003, 05:21 AM
@ Ron Hyatt

Dear Ron :)

You say there is a difference in the 5100 from Dubai ("made in Germany") or from Thailand ("made by Nokia"). Well, i am NOT on your side.

I am myself from Germany (made in Germany!) but live in Thailand since three years now. In todays times you have to be aware what you buy, specially here in Thailand. Not everything that's got "Nokia" printed on it is from Nokia! Heard the stories about exploding Nokia phones? That were cheap, fake batteries "made in China" but nobody can tell the difference since they look so damn authentic and original Nokia can also be "made in China"..!

I personally don't give a hood if my phone comes from germany, philipines or timbuktu. A 5100 is a 5100 and that "made in germany" is just a sticker. Nokia got it's quality standards, and they would not let an asian-manufactured (well, "by Nokia", where is that from then..?) be of lower quality than a german made one. The only difference is the price, since a german man-hour cost 10 us$ while a chinese man-hour is a cent or so. The parts of which the phones are assembled from anyway come from the same manufacturing plant, they are just assembled here or there. And besides..... Nokia, that is a company from Finland. So, a "genuine" Nokia should be "made in Finland"..!

I personally use a Sanyo at the moment, precisely a SCP 550 CDMA clamshell phone. This one is available ONLY in Thailand and China, but it can be "made in Japan" or "made in China". The difference? A sticker! And yet people go on in discussion forums "which one is better" and "why do they cost the same". Stupid. It's the same thing!

But if you'd like a cheap (178 us$) 5100, let me know, i'll send you some. I buy the "made by Nokia" phone, go one floor down in MBK, pay a shop 100 Baht for 100 stickers "made in Germany" and put them in the phone. You would not be able to tell the difference.......

Kind regards....
your Thanh

Ron Hyatt
17-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Hello Thanh,

I do respect ur opinion BUT i`ve been to bangkok many times and used some of the "made by nokia" phones,believe me there is a difference especially in the performance and phone life(i know am not an expert)

I cant resort the differences to bad luck can i?,the liability for defects r higher in such phones (based on experience) and as an example,ALL authorised Nokia dealers in the middle east refuse to do maintainance to "made by nokia" phones,including the 5100 and i`ve dealt with lots of poeple who used such phones and had many problems like having to restart the phone when pluging the charger and sudden distortion of ear sound which subsides by only restarting the phone as well.....and the list goes on...............

i remember i used to carry Ericsson phones when they were made in Sweden(had my phone for 4 years of hard work and NEVER had a bug or a problem) BUT as i wanted a smaller phone,i got a Sony Ericsson which was made in china.........oh boy!!!,it was a nightmare,poor signal,poor battery and creaks in ur hands with the simplist grip!!,had to exchange it twice with the same problems going on,then i had to throw it in the litter box!!.

I know that there r quality standards worldwide but experience prooves that using different pieces of a certain phone model each made in a different place tells the difference despite applying the same usage and loads to be fair in comparison.

one last thing,i remember seeing some Nokia models in bangkok which were even more expensive than Dubai!!!!!!!!!!

kind regards and again am not an expert:),
Ron.

Thanh
17-11-2003, 09:56 AM

I have had several Nokia's, and the last i cared for was "where are they made"... i can only remember seeing it in my boyfriend's 7250, which is "made by Nokia"... i never checked my own ones! Only after reading your post i checked on my last Nokia i still have at the moment, a 5130.... which is, to my surprise, "Made in Germany"! I got that from my boss a while ago, he wanted to throw it in the bin because it was broken (!) so i took it, had it fixed and it serves as a backup phone now.

It might indeed have been "bad luck" as you said, that you had a bad experience with "made by Nokia" phones... but i noticed, and that is not only for Nokia, but (and specially!) for Ericsson, that newer models are generally of lower built quality than older ones. I remember my rock-solid 1611 long time ago, which survived a fly-off from my belt while barrelling down the Autobahn on my motorbike, after flying around 200 meters and getting overrun by a car, it still worked and had hardly even scratches! But when i see the built quality of my 6610 (well, ex-6610) i would not let it drop onto a carpet floor from my hip.......

And i had an Ericcson GH something, a huge and heavy one with tiny display... i lost the antenna twice because it was so flimsy, but the phone, not only big and heavy like a brick, but same solid. Then i had a t20 just two years ago, still solid phone, good features and TOP battery performance, but lousy reception. A flashing antenna (!!) solved that. And then i get to see today's "Sony" Ericcsons..... cute small, yes, but nasty bugs and flimsy built. No, thanks.

Motorola now seems to go the other way. I had several of their phones, only two of my own but some to fix, and i have to say, THEY are getting better and better in quality terms. And even tough the old ones were "made in U.S.A." so the new ones (i had a e365 in my hand recenly) may be "made in Korea" but much improved stability! Nothing creaks, nothing is lose.

Last but not least, for sure Bangkok is not the cheapest place to get mobile phones. Thailand might be classified as a "developping country" and farmers might have to live on 50 us$ A YEAR, but there are more S-class Benzes in Bangkok, i believe, than in whole germany where they are made! And so is it with phones, pretty much "world class" prices here. The stalls in MBK and/or Panthip may be cheaper, but they don't import their phones legally.... they come here, hidden in car trunks, via the land border from Malaysia, been bought either in Kuala Lumpur or even Hong Kong, where certain phones can be 50 % cheaper than in Bangkok! Did you never wonder why some "official" importers such as AIS, Telewiz or Jay Mart have the absolutely same prizes as Nokia dealers?

Kind regards....
your Thanh

botros
17-11-2003, 11:59 AM
well ,,

from what i sow 5100 have only one version ,,, Made in Germany . as it,s the only production line i know ,, .

speaking about ols phone ,,, i used to use only Ericsoon like Ron ,,
i had 868 for 2 years & 2618 for 3 years & they were great ,,

botros ,.

Ron Hyatt
18-11-2003, 03:30 AM

I have had several Nokia's, and the last i cared for was "where are they made"... i can only remember seeing it in my boyfriend's 7250, which is "made by Nokia"... i never checked my own ones! Only after reading your post i checked on my last Nokia i still have at the moment, a 5130.... which is, to my surprise, "Made in Germany"! I got that from my boss a while ago, he wanted to throw it in the bin because it was broken (!) so i took it, had it fixed and it serves as a backup phone now.

It might indeed have been "bad luck" as you said, that you had a bad experience with "made by Nokia" phones... but i noticed, and that is not only for Nokia, but (and specially!) for Ericsson, that newer models are generally of lower built quality than older ones. I remember my rock-solid 1611 long time ago, which survived a fly-off from my belt while barrelling down the Autobahn on my motorbike, after flying around 200 meters and getting overrun by a car, it still worked and had hardly even scratches! But when i see the built quality of my 6610 (well, ex-6610) i would not let it drop onto a carpet floor from my hip.......

And i had an Ericcson GH something, a huge and heavy one with tiny display... i lost the antenna twice because it was so flimsy, but the phone, not only big and heavy like a brick, but same solid. Then i had a t20 just two years ago, still solid phone, good features and TOP battery performance, but lousy reception. A flashing antenna (!!) solved that. And then i get to see today's "Sony" Ericcsons..... cute small, yes, but nasty bugs and flimsy built. No, thanks.

Motorola now seems to go the other way. I had several of their phones, only two of my own but some to fix, and i have to say, THEY are getting better and better in quality terms. And even tough the old ones were "made in U.S.A." so the new ones (i had a e365 in my hand recenly) may be "made in Korea" but much improved stability! Nothing creaks, nothing is lose.

Last but not least, for sure Bangkok is not the cheapest place to get mobile phones. Thailand might be classified as a "developping country" and farmers might have to live on 50 us$ A YEAR, but there are more S-class Benzes in Bangkok, i believe, than in whole germany where they are made! And so is it with phones, pretty much "world class" prices here. The stalls in MBK and/or Panthip may be cheaper, but they don't import their phones legally.... they come here, hidden in car trunks, via the land border from Malaysia, been bought either in Kuala Lumpur or even Hong Kong, where certain phones can be 50 % cheaper than in Bangkok! Did you never wonder why some "official" importers such as AIS, Telewiz or Jay Mart have the absolutely same prizes as Nokia dealers?

Kind regards....
your Thanh

Hello Thanh,

I agree,and YES,by experience (personal as well as friends experience),Nokia phones made in Germany and Finland(older models) r the best and lots of them still working perfectly till this day!!

Just like u,i used to carry Ericsson phones,my GH688,which i still keep as back-up worked perfectly,perfect reception,crisp clear sound quality(although of a lower earpiece volume than Nokia`s),extremely durable and really ERROR-FREE,battery lasted for a week with vigorous use....etc

To be honest,i always wanted to defect*...LOL to Ericsson but like u said,errors,bugs,poor built...etc,made me got the rugged 5100 in addition to the apprearance of new sony ericsson phones which is rather toyish(at least the 5100 looks weird coz it`s sporty n rugged).

Anyway,i am trying to get as much info about the p900 but am afraid to get one,since it`s still new(not tested) and extremely expensive(cheapest price is 800$!!!!).

Bangkok is an interesting city and if mobiles r not cheap,computer software n accessories are....LOL

regards,
Ron.

OverDrive33
08-12-2003, 12:56 PM
note: there is only ONE software version for the 5100( v3.02 december 2002).

We just got the 5100 in Canada about 7 months ago... I've been having a hard time finding ANYTHING about this phone! But when I read how to look up the version number I noticed I have version:
3.06 May 16 2003

This could just be because the phone is set up to Canada... or it might be bug fixes.

... just thought I'd post and add my 2 cents

botros
08-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi there ,

in egypt we have 4.05 firmware for 5100 is the latest , but i don,t have it installed on my phone yet .

but i think there r some defferences between 5100 ( USA & Canadian ) & the )(european & middel east ) .

any how this phone have great durability ,, but not lucky in mobile market & i don,t know why ,,, ( may be cause it dosn,t look fancy as 6610 ? )

Botros .

tom_chan
09-12-2003, 02:16 AM
My friend say the 5100 is too big and it doesn't look high tech enough. The rubber parts make the phone look like a toy. But who really cares? I own one and I think it's good.

miloka
10-12-2003, 04:56 PM
I would like to send this message because i found a website where you can download firmwares for phones and i found the firmware version 4,05 for nokia 5100. Mine is also 3,02 but i want to upgrade it. Does anyone know how to upgrade it by own. without any service?????

thanks

the website is www.freegsmteam.com

miloka
10-12-2003, 05:01 PM
I would like to send this message because i found a website where you can download firmwares for phones and i found the firmware version 4,05 for nokia 5100. Mine is also 3,02 but i want to upgrade it. Does anyone know how to upgrade it by own. without any service?????

thanks

the website is www.freegsmteam.com

botros
12-12-2003, 11:17 PM
Hi there ,
i surfed into that site ,,, but can we join it ?

miloka
17-12-2003, 03:16 PM
I don't know how to join, if you read the details i think you can find. But I used the test username which writes at the end of the page and is:

username: test
password: test

botros
17-12-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi ,
i did try TEST ,,,, but it only allow read ,, not download ...

is there is a way to be a member for free ? like Nokiafree.org ?

miloka
18-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Hi ,
i did try TEST ,,,, but it only allow read ,, not download ...

is there is a way to be a member for free ? like Nokiafree.org ?

====
I have downloaded the firmware you should have been made a mistake. You can download the firmware files which are flash files. Try again. But if you want to be a member you have to pay for it.

Thanh
19-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Hello :)

I don't need the firmware files, but i tried it......

you can log in, using "test" as both user name and password. Then browse to the DCT-4 section where you can chose:

DCT-4 flasher
Enigma
Original

I have no clue what "Enigma" is, but i found that when you select "DCT-4 Flasher" and then "5100", the files (2) are listed only but no links.

However, when you select "Original" and then "5100" you can download the same file as listed under "DCT-4 Flasher", a 22.xx MB download with extension "exe", i believe it is Phoenix format.

Kind regards.....
your Thanh

botros
19-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Thanks Thanh ,,

u always have the right answer man ,
i tried what u said thanh & it worked fine .
thanks to miloka too ,, guess i was missing the right click , LOL

Botros Ayad

Kolmi
09-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi there!!

Sorry to interrupt your long talk.. but, recently, i bought a 5100 and i have some doubts..can you help? :-?

- why can't you transfer images phone to phone by infra red?

_ there are any other aplications available?

About the battery durability...48h max!

Advance thanks to all!!

Kolmi :lol:

twr7cx
22-01-2004, 10:23 AM
The Nokia 5100's are awsome phones! Very reliable, tough and have all the features you can need! I had a 5210 before and I felt the same way about that, hence the reason for sticking with this range of phones. Although I havn't tested the full standby time, I generally get a good 2 days out of my phone with a few phones calls each day, maybe 50 messages a day and a few minutes of mucking around with it. Personally I think the battery life on it is better than my Nokia 3210, 3310,3315, 3330, 5110, 5510, 8210, 8250, 8310, 8850, 8910 (had all these as I sell them on eBay.com.au), and a few other models have been!

By the way, my unit has V 4.05, 06-06-03, NPM-6.

twr7cx
22-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Hi there!!

Sorry to interrupt your long talk.. but, recently, i bought a 5100 and i have some doubts..can you help? :-?

- why can't you transfer images phone to phone by infra red?

_ there are any other aplications available?

About the battery durability...48h max!

About your questions:
-Can't transfer images and similar things from phone to phone as Nokia didn't put this in the phones software, nothing you can do about this reallym, unless some really clever person manages to rewrite some software or something complicated like that!
-You may like to try searching on eBay.com, a lot of sellers sell C.D.'s full of programs and other goodies for mobile phones.

Battery performance is very much based on your connection signal aswell! I've found when I go on a trip out in the country if there's no connection my phone will go flat quickly! There is also a chance you got a dodge battery, you may like to consider this. By the way, always by an original Nokia battery, 3rd party ones have been known to explode and damage phones...

gnochon
24-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Hi to all,

My 5100 was purchased in November in Canada and it has V X3.06 16-05-03 NPM-6X.

I don’t talk so much on my phone but I use the alarm clock every morning and about 3 to 4 hours of radio a day. I usually recharge my battery every second day. I remember being at least 4 day without recharging it for once.

I am using the HDS-3 headset and I never had trouble with it. I get the stereo reception without problem. The integrated microphone is very sensitive. If it is on my chest facing my body and I talk with my head in normal position the person I talk to ears me well.

This phone does not seem to be very popular in Canada neither. I personally chose it for its sturdy construction. Back in the 80s I had a Sony sport walkman. I used it and abused it a lot but it worked longer than my friend’s normal walkmans. I decided to buy this phone for the same reason. So far I would not change it for anything else. I just love it.

At first, I found that the flashlight was a stupid gadget but I’ve used it hundreds of times. It is really a useful feature. The thermometer is also a cool feature but you must read it quickly once the screen goes on because the temperature shoots up. I noticed that two weeks ago while waiting for the bus. When I unlocked the keyboard and the screen went on, the temperature went from -28 C to -19 C in less than two seconds. OK, this one was just to freak all of you Asian guy in the forum but seriously it really was -28 C.

Does anyone know more of those *#xxxx# tricks? I did not even know the existed before I bounced here.

Take care and Happy Chinese new year.

twr7cx
25-01-2004, 05:21 AM
At first, I found that the flashlight was a stupid gadget but I’ve used it hundreds of times. It is really a useful feature. The thermometer is also a cool feature but you must read it quickly once the screen goes on because the temperature shoots up. I noticed that two weeks ago while waiting for the bus. When I unlocked the keyboard and the screen went on, the temperature went from -28 C to -19 C in less than two seconds. OK, this one was just to freak all of you Asian guy in the forum but seriously it really was -28 C.

Personally I think the flash light is great, but the themoter is bloody hopeless! Mines never within 10 degrees of the true temperature! And my old Nokia 5210 was just as bad! I would of hoped there would of been an upgrade on it between the two models. Any one know if there was?

twr7cx
25-01-2004, 05:33 AM
You say there is a difference in the 5100 from Dubai ("made in Germany") or from Thailand ("made by Nokia"). Well, i am NOT on your side.

I am myself from Germany (made in Germany!) but live in Thailand since three years now. In todays times you have to be aware what you buy, specially here in Thailand. Not everything that's got "Nokia" printed on it is from Nokia! Heard the stories about exploding Nokia phones? That were cheap, fake batteries "made in China" but nobody can tell the difference since they look so damn authentic and original Nokia can also be "made in China"..!

Just letting you know that I live in Australia, purchased my Nokia 5100 through a dealer situated in Australia over eBay.com.au, and on the sticker underneath my battery, it says "Made in Korrea".

gnochon
02-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Personally I think the flash light is great, but the themoter is bloody hopeless! Mines never within 10 degrees of the true temperature! And my old Nokia 5210 was just as bad! I would of hoped there would of been an upgrade on it between the two models. Any one know if there was?
Most microcontrollers have a built in thermocouple. If it is the case with the 5100, the temperature reading is the actual microcontroller temperature. If you want an indication of the ambient temperature, let the phone stand on a table for at least 5 minute. The indicated temperature should get pretty close to reality. Most of the times we keep the phone close to our body so we are reading our body temperature.

muhaid
07-02-2004, 04:09 AM
Hi to all,

My 5100 was purchased in August in Canada and it has V X3.06 16-05-03 NPM-6X.

I just unlocked my phone using this site and I want to know how to upgrade the firmware to 5.20 which I found in http://www.freegsmteam.com site and all the tricks
i want to know if I would be able to use my phone in Sudan and all Middle east
thanks

muhaid
07-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi guys again

I forgot to ask I tried to send pics through infraRed to my phone using MobileBrowser but it always fail and for tones i had to try sending every tone for lots of times then it works(imagine trying that for every tone) so I just downloaed oxygne Ihope it's better and I wanna know if any good sites fro this phone and I hope I will not have any prob with my service provider(Fido Canad) for unlocking my phone

twr7cx
07-02-2004, 04:56 AM
I just unlocked my phone using this site and I want to know how to upgrade the firmware to 5.20 which I found in http://www.freegsmteam.com site and all the tricks

If your phone was purchased in August, it will still be under warrenty. Take it to your local Nokia Care Center, look in the telephone directory or on the Nokia website, and they should give you a software upgrade for free!

To do the software upgrade your self will require you to purchase expensive flasher hardware, so it'd be better to have it done for free by Nokia, it also then has a warrenty if anything should go wrong!

The only codes I know for the Nokia 5100's are *#war0anty# (good idea to do this one and put your purchasing date in if the dealer hasn't already done so... it can only be done once though!) and *#0000# (software version).

O, and to reply to your other post, if you take your phone straight to your local Nokia Care Center for all warrenty work, and any other repairs, they won't put the network provider block back onto the phone. But, if you take it to your network provider and they pass it on to Nokia, there is a chance they will put the block back on, but I doubt it, and you can always remove it again!

akruti
15-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Hi,
Can someone help me with my nokia 5100. I sent a text and the phone automatically stopped working.it only switches on for a few seconds and switches off.Anyone knows what the problem could be? please help me.
Thank you
Akruti