PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 6220 (EDGE) memory size (???)

Thanh
21-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Hello all :)

I am in vain, trying since over an hour to find out how big is the memory capacity of the newly released 6220 EDGE phone.

No website, not even Nokia itself, bothers to mention the size of the memory, and some review sites even make it worse by stating "big memory" but don't say HOW big! Aaaargh........

And also some site mentioned that the 6220 is nothing but a recycled 7250 with EDGE and video. Having had a good look at it, the keypad looks like it could take a 7210's cover and key mat, yes. The camera position on the back looks certainly like in a 7250. So is it again just a different software for a somewhat "standard" hardware ..?

Any help (specially info on the memory size) is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.....
your Thanh

Thanh
27-10-2003, 08:42 AM
*bump*

Someone must have a 6220 by now..? Please... i only want to know how much memory it's got.... thank you......

your Thanh

Protocol
30-10-2003, 10:33 AM
As far as I can tell, the 6220 is more or less the same as the 6200, which to the best of my knowledge, is only available in the Americas.

I have read somewhere a review on the 6200 stating (if memory serves me correctly) that the handset has a memory of 500kb.

Mind you, this could be incorrect.

In any case, I’m eagerly awaiting the EDGE technology to become available here.

I might ad that in lieu of a registration issue I’m encountering with the 6200, the reception is better than my 6610.

Cheers

Thanh
31-10-2003, 04:24 AM
Hello :)

Thank you for replying!

But i think the 6220 must have a bigger memory, since it got a camera build in, which the 6200 does not have.

I checked out the 6200 on Nokia USA website, it looks absolutely same as the 6220 just without the camera on the back.

I may recommend you to get the 6225 once available - it is CDMA and the data speed is higher than EDGE :) And the phone again looks identical, but the 6225 (how big is THAT's memory then???) also got a camera :)

Kind regards.....
your Thanh

Protocol
31-10-2003, 07:00 AM
You are correct; I had forgotten that there is a camera on the 6220. Again, I could be way off with my guess on the memory. We have yet to implement any 3G technology (EDGE) here in the states that I know of, but I know it will be grand when it's set up.

Protocol
31-10-2003, 04:05 PM
An any case, I was quite surprised that the 6200 was released here in the states before Europe. It was certainly not the common anticipation. 6610 is “brand new” here. I cannot find faceplates for it anywhere other than online…….

James Watt
01-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Hello all :)

I am in vain, trying since over an hour to find out how big is the memory capacity of the newly released 6220 EDGE phone.

Any help (specially info on the memory size) is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.....
your Thanh

Hi Thanh.

I hope the following information is of help to you?
:-

[Quote]
Memory Functions
The following functions use shared memory that is dependent on the data quantity per item and shared memory available at a time in the Nokia 6220 phone. The shared memory pool is up to 4 MB.

Notes: up to 3000 characters in one note
Email messages: max 30 kB per message
Ringing tones in Gallery: 20 preset, all removable
Images in Gallery: 10 preset
Video clips: up to 94 kB per clip
Multimedia messages: max size 100 kB per multimedia message
Java™ applications: 4 preset, max download size 64 kB per application
/[Quote]
:-
Regards from James Watt

Thanh
03-11-2003, 06:33 AM
Hello :)
Thanks for all replies, yet the original question is still not answered.... how much memory does that thing have????

@Protocol
Well i guess there will be 3G coming in the U.S.A., but that is not that lame EDGE. EDGE is so far from 3G like a sherman tank from a Testarossa - the only common thing is, they both (EDGE and 3G) are enhanced data transfer protocols for mobile phones.

EDGE for instance goes with "up to 144 kb/s" as opposed to 3G (WCDMA!) which is stated "up to 359 kb/s". Here in Thailand, now already TWO networks (AIS and D-TAC) run EDGE and they both advertise with "up to 144 kb/s, but typical 80-90 kb/s" transfer speeds. Well, good try, but won't convince me :)_ And that for have to pay 19.500 to get the only available EDGE phone, that 6220. No thanks. I am using CDMA and Hutch, our CDMA provider here, does not even advertise it, but in fact their network is a true 3G already - CDMA2000-1x, transfer speeds of "up to 153 kb/s" and tested (!) with 151 kb/s stable by a phone magazine..... my own test (calculated from a download, it's size and time needed for completion) came out with 146 kb/s, still way better than the "typical EDGE" :) And Hutch, silently in the background and not bothering with advertising for it, building new towers with CDMA2000-1xEV-DO...... the next step, banging us with 1.2 MEGABIT/second......... and once such a tower is built, they run it, don't tell anyone but in parts of Bangkok you get this transfer rates already, since CDMA is upward and downward compatible. Your phone won't tell you if you are currently in a 1x zone, or EV-DO, or even the old is95 ("analog on steroids")... it just works. In the U.S., more and more CDMA networks will go 2000-1x or EV-DO, so better look out for that area, and forget about GSM :) And by the way, 2000-1x supports SIM cards too, like GSM...... mine terminal got a cute blue Hutch SIM in it, and nobody can tell me "CDMA crap, not even SIM's"..........

@James Watt
Thank you for that, but that info was also on Nokia's website... it makes me so puzzled that they state clearly the size limits of certain applications, but say nowhere how much memory the actual phone got. 100 kilobytres for an MMS, ok, but how many of those can you save? 4? 10? 250?? Yesterday i missed my chance (own stupidity), having that phone in my hand in MBK, but forgot (!!!) to ask the seller about this item. Or is thailand the only country that's got this phone available as yet?????? Maybe so, because both latest phones (6220 and 6600) amazingly have the same prices at Jay Mart and Mahboonkrong stalls.... and both aren't yet available at Nokia! Normally MBK used to be between a few hundred and 2.000 Baht cheaper with new models than Jay MArt, which always has the same price as Nokia itself.

Kind regards....
your Thanh

Thanh
10-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Well, as topic says... i got the answer now by myself. The 6220 has, same as the 7250i, just 4 (four) mega bytes of memory available for the user.

Just for information, if someone else wanted to know, too :)

Kind regards
Thanh

James Watt
10-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Well, as topic says... i got the answer now by myself. The 6220 has, same as the 7250i, just 4 (four) mega bytes of memory available for the user.

Just for information, if someone else wanted to know, too :)

Kind regards
Thanh

Thank goodness for that Thanh.

That confirms the information I got from Nokia that I posted in my first reply.

They put it as "The shared memory pool is up to 4 MB."

Means the same thing. :)

Regards from James Watt

Thanh
11-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Dear James Watt!

Thank you for that comment.... it had me scrolling back up and re-read your post - and there it was, "...up to 4 MB".

You know, there seem to be a difference between reading and READING..... when i read your post the first time, that one just "slipped thru" and i wish to ask you to forgive me for that. In fact i accused you of "not giving information other than Nokia's website" which in fact wasn't true... you stated it clear;y, just i did not see it.

Some times i can't see the forest because there are too many trees......

Again, thank you VERY much for that!

Kindest regards.....
your Thanh