PDA

View Full Version : If you had a java game online, how do you get it into your s40 without a data cable?

zhenyu21
27-10-2003, 03:16 PM
question above.

Thanks

Thanh
28-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi there :)

The easiest to get your JAVA games onto a series-40 without cable is via WAP. You need to have WAP enabled with your network provider, be it via dialup or GPRS, doesn't matter.

Then you need to have a web account that allows bot hotlinking (accessing a file directly without going thru a website) and also the storage of content files, such as JAR, JAD, MID.

I recomment www.tripod.com since they give you 20 MB free space, can host jar, jad, mid AND allow hotlinking. Not many free hosts comply with that, specially hotlinking!

Sign up for a free account, make sure you chose a nice short username (will be part of URL - remember you have to type that on the phone keypad later!) and put a "index.html" file in there, basically, make it a homepage. Tripod doesn't accept their accounts to be used only as a storage for files! Then create a folder in there, and to this folder upload your game JAR files (you won't need the JAD files at all!)

After upload is done (can be with tripod's online "file manager" or even by FTP), you can direct-access your file by giving it's adress into the WAP browser of your phone, for example http://yourname.tripod.com/folder/game.jar and it will download directly into the phone. You can even rename your JAR files before you upload them, to make them easier to handle. Just as "bounce.jar" instead of "NBounceV2-07_N7210.jar".

By accessing the file direct, it downloads into the phone's "heap memory" and after that procedure is done, it will display name, size and a few details of the game, and then ask "dwnload" without the "o". Just confirm, and the game installs, most likely under "Applications" but that's the way it is.

I have done that for myself (and my boyfriend) a combined circa 50 times, and for a period i had games available for punblic downloads at my own site, http://thanhwap.tripod.com (have a look, i still offer free wallpapers and a bunch of ringtones for everyone there). Remember it is a WEBsite, to be browsed with a computer. Only downloads are WAP.

I hope i could help.....
Kind regards.....
your Thanh