PDA

View Full Version : Help!

cellphonebabe
29-10-2003, 05:51 AM
I have 2 new GSM phones. My husband is going to IRAQ! We have to communicate. How is that possible?! My service is Cingular. I am willing to do or at least try anything. Please help.

Louis6507
29-10-2003, 09:53 AM
http://nokia-free.no-ip.com/graphics/OPERATION_IRAQ.JPG

My sister's a Sgt. with the Army Reserves. She's been there for almost 8 months now.

She has a GSM phone from T-Mobile. It works there. Well, in Kuwait. But, since there are many (daily) sand storms...reception is poor at best. But, maybe that's different in the Iraq.

Just make sure the phones are tri-band, as I have no idea what they use in Iraq. Also, pick a service provider with the cheapest roaming/international deal. ^_^

Keep in mind, it might be cheaper for him to buy a GSM card (account) local in Iraq. That turned out to be much cheaper for my sister.

Yotamz
29-10-2003, 02:05 PM
i don't know if there are currently GSM network in iraq. in fact, i'm not sure if there are any cellular companies.

the GSM association is currently working on deploying GSM network in iraq, but there are still no available networks there.

for more information, read this (http://www.gsmworld.com/news/press_2003/press_27.shtml) arcticle.

cellphonebabe
29-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Thank you to you guys that have put forth effort to help me keep lines of communication open with my husband.
I have found some NEW IMPROVED CHEAPER information!!!!!!!! There are NO service towers over there! ( I hae adobe file with exact things if someone wants it emailed to them!)
They acan use ROAD POST 1-888-622-7368. They use "satellite Iridium phones" over there. depending on how long they will be there they can pt to buy new $1300.(lite weight. warranty. text msg) or refurbished for $695(heavy. notext. NOT WEATHER RESISTANT). All incoming calls are FREE. Outgoing can range fro $1.49/min to $1.99/min depending on which plan you choose. (I also have teh plans if someone wants them.)
Or you can RENT one for $229/month.free incoming calls and outgoing is $1.99.
(keep in mind your sig other must pay to call it depending on her long distance carrier.)like calling another country. (ask your long distance carrier at HOME how much it would cost to call an """IRIDIUM SATELLITE PHONE COUNTRY CODE 8816""
Hope I was any help. Let me know if anyone wants any more details.

NokDoc
29-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Hi,

This ain't no Server Problem.

Please select a more appropriate area to ask Ur questions next time.

Thanks

NokDoc