PDA

View Full Version : USB data cable and Nokia PC suite problems

GravyandChips
07-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Hi Guys

I'm having a very frustrating time trying to conect my 6800 to my laptop. I splashed out on a genuine Nokia data cable DKU-5 and even thought why not be flash and buy yourself the Nokia Connectivity Desktop Stand DCV-14, so I did.

I run a Dell Inspiron 2600 P4 1.8 laptop with 512 Mb ram and Windows XP home edition.

I followed the instructions on the driver disk for the cable, installing the driver first before plugging in the cable. Then I installed the Nokia PC suite that came with the phone. During the setup for the PC suite I selected that I wanted to connect via cable and it prompted me to plug in the cable (which I did). The setup then continued to search for the relevant COM port to whch I had connected the cable. Whilst the setup program was searching, Windows hardware installer alerted me that new harware was found and asked me to select where it should start looking for the driver, I pressed cancel thinking that the PC suite setup would sort it. PC suite then advised it could not detect the cable and asked me to select a manual COM port, so I selcted COM 4 knowing that COM2 was my serial port and COM3 held my modem. Continuing to the end of setup I then rebooted the computer when prompted.

When my PC had rebooted I clicked on the PC suite Icon in the system tray and tried to select COM 4 but it wasn't available. Windows then popped up with the 'found new harware wizard' again so I set it to search for the cable drivers but it returned no results.

So... where do I go from here?

All help greatly appreciated

Loz

Ps. Sorry for the long post but this is doing my head in.

tbui16
08-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi Loz,

Download the latest driver for the DKU-5's cable from the Nokia's web site, and run the SETUP.EXE that comes with download.

Good luck.
Tbui16

Hi Guys

I'm having a very frustrating time trying to conect my 6800 to my laptop. I splashed out on a genuine Nokia data cable DKU-5 and even thought why not be flash and buy yourself the Nokia Connectivity Desktop Stand DCV-14, so I did.

I run a Dell Inspiron 2600 P4 1.8 laptop with 512 Mb ram and Windows XP home edition.

I followed the instructions on the driver disk for the cable, installing the driver first before plugging in the cable. Then I installed the Nokia PC suite that came with the phone. During the setup for the PC suite I selected that I wanted to connect via cable and it prompted me to plug in the cable (which I did). The setup then continued to search for the relevant COM port to whch I had connected the cable. Whilst the setup program was searching, Windows hardware installer alerted me that new harware was found and asked me to select where it should start looking for the driver, I pressed cancel thinking that the PC suite setup would sort it. PC suite then advised it could not detect the cable and asked me to select a manual COM port, so I selcted COM 4 knowing that COM2 was my serial port and COM3 held my modem. Continuing to the end of setup I then rebooted the computer when prompted.

When my PC had rebooted I clicked on the PC suite Icon in the system tray and tried to select COM 4 but it wasn't available. Windows then popped up with the 'found new harware wizard' again so I set it to search for the cable drivers but it returned no results.

So... where do I go from here?

All help greatly appreciated

Loz

Ps. Sorry for the long post but this is doing my head in.

cannedgamer
09-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Did you sort it out?If not I'll try and help you as I had LOADS of problems with usb/com port connections a little while ago and therefore I got a fairly good idea of how I can help.Just ask.

saritguha
23-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Did you sort it out?If not I'll try and help you as I had LOADS of problems with usb/com port connections a little while ago and therefore I got a fairly good idea of how I can help.Just ask.

Hi,
Yesterday, I bought DKU-5 cable and I am quite sure its prolific one. My system is windows XP professional with service pack 1 and intel 845GBV motherboard with 4 usb ports. I think the USB ports are USB2.0.
It came with a installation CD. When I put the CD in the drive, it autoruns. Then opens up a command prompt screen with DKU-5-1 .exe in C:drive. then in other screen, it tries to load prolific 2303 driver. Then pop-up message: 'driver installation failed'. The process does not termination and it goes to the next screen where it tries to load DKU-5 driver and it goes on successfully. But the DKU does not show under 'multiport adaptor' in hardware device manager.
Then I uninstalled everything and run nokia 'regclean'. Then downloaded PL2303.exe from prolific website and installed it. Then I tried to run the CD again to install DKU-5 driver but it automatically uninstalls PL2303.
So again I removed/uninstalled everything (I did not do anything with windows registry as I am not so expert).
Then again I install PL2303. Then I install DKU-1 downloaded from one of the Nokia site (I think Finland). Then install DKU-2 downloaded from same site.
Till this time I had not connected the cable to PC.
Now I connect the cable to USB port. I saw some message that related to new hardware found and USB device is ready. But no pop-up screen as shown in the DKU-5 manual in the Nokis website.
But on checking the device manager, I do not find any DKU-cable under multiport adaptor. and under com port, Prolific USB-to-serial (COM5)
But
I pull out the cable. Then load Nokia PC suite v6.2
Then again first switch off the phone, connect pop-port side of the cable to phone and switch on the phone. Then connect USB connector to the USB port of PC and switch on the phone. The phone is 7250i. The phone gives message 'enhancement not support'. I open nokia PC suite and try any function, but the message is 'device not found'.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do? Now I am clueless.

Sorry this is quite long, but I am quuite frustrated.

[email protected]

pi007
06-06-2006, 06:45 PM

i previously had pc suite 6.4 and connection driver with disc for nokia 7210 phone, had problems, tried uninstalling, wouldn't completely uninstall, used nokia pc cleaner prog, can't install connection driver off disc, off latest version of pc suite from nokia web site, any help please would be appreciated, want to connect phone to pc, thanks

EdgeCrusher
07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Sometimes, connect first the cable without the phone attached to it. Your computer shall tell you 'New Hardware Found', DKU-5 Adapter cable, etc. Once it is installed, reboot, connect again the cable without the phone attached, wait for the computer to recognize that the cable is connected, and then connect the phone to the pop clip side of the cable. Then, execute PC Suite.

Best regards
Edge

turbo-17
10-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Must follow the instructions to a "T" and it might still take some patience and playing around with the system before it'll work. Sometimes the "COM4" is reset so you'll have to manually choose it (again) to make it detect your phone. I've had the most luck when the cable is plugged into the computer via USB BEFORE attaching it to the 6800 phone. Last advice I have is to just wait until the connection is made (it might take a while--go take a shower first or something) then come back and see if it has recognized the phone.

PC Suite is the only program I've used and might be the only Nokia synch application, but it's definitely not the best out there, I'm sure, but it'll get the job done, if you can get it hooked up. Good luck.

Paul

pi007
14-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Sometimes, connect first the cable without the phone attached to it. Your computer shall tell you 'New Hardware Found', DKU-5 Adapter cable, etc. Once it is installed, reboot, connect again the cable without the phone attached, wait for the computer to recognize that the cable is connected, and then connect the phone to the pop clip side of the cable. Then, execute PC Suite.

Best regards
Edge

i have a problem installing connection driver, all due to previous pc suite installed

bcatlock
14-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Forcing the Device Manager to display non-plug-and-play printers, drivers, and similar devices is a simple matter. Run the Device Manager by typing devmgmt.msc at a command prompt and pressing Enter, and then choosing View Display Hidden Devices, and they will appear.

Displaying ghosted or nonpresent devices takes a little more work. You'll set a system-wide environment variable that forces the Device Manager to display them. First, right-click on My Computer and choose Properties Advanced Environment Variables. The Environment Variable dialog box opens. This dialog box let you set system variables for the entire system or for individual users. Environment variables control a variety of XP features, such as the location of your Windows directory and TEMP directories and the filename and location of the command processor that will launch when you run the command prompt.

There are two sections in the Environment Variables dialog box: "User variables" and "System variables." To apply the variable to a single user, use the "User variables" dialog box; to apply the variable to all users, use the "System variables" dialog box. In this case, you'll want to create the variable system-wide, so click New in the "System variables" section. The New System Variable dialog box appears. For "Variable name," type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices. Once you've created the name, you need to give it a value. To turn the setting on, type 1 in the "Variable value" box.

then reboot.

Then, choose View Display Hidden Devices and the ghosted devices will appear

u can then uninstall any u dont need.
as anything that ever been on ur computer,xp keeps all the settings and reserves the irqs etc.
any ghosted item is then safe to uninstall,if it happens u uninstall something u need to use again no worrys,xp ask u to install drivers again.