PDA

View Full Version : IMEI-changing

Swedie
21-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi.
First of all, I know itīs illegal to change the IMEI on a phone!!!!

My first question is, is it possible to take the imei from a 8210 and put that imei in a 8310?
I guess itīs still illegal if i am the owner of both phones?
My second question is, how is it done if itīs possible?

Once again, I know itīs illegal and I donīt say I will do it if itīs possible...

Thanx!
/Swedie

Yotamz
21-11-2003, 09:07 PM
changing the imei is always illegal, it doesn't matter if you own the phone or anything else.

in order to change the imei of a dct4 phone (like 8310) you have to replace the UEM chip inside the phone with a new blank one, and then use an imei rebuilder to program a new imei to it.
most of the imei rebuilders will not let you choose the new imei, they will just use a preset one, or generate a random one.
an imei rebuilder is a hardware device that connects to the phone and programs the new imei (i had a link to a site with pictures of that device but i can't find it now.. sorry). it comes with about 100 or more preset imei numbers, and it programs the chip with one of them.

this operation is of course dengerous, because the uem chip is not meant to be taken out, and you have to use a soldering iron to take it out, so if you don't have the technical skills needed, and experience in soldering - you may damage your phone.

--edit--
all the information i above is correct for dct4 phones. if you want to change the imei of a dct3 phone, like 8210, you can use a normal mbus cable, and software (knok95 or an old version of rolis nokia tool).

Once again, I know itīs illegal and I donīt say I will do it if itīs possible...

you may do it if you want, we are not the ones to punish you for illegal acts you do or can do, our responsibility is to let you know that it is illegal.

Swedie
21-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Thank you for that exellent answer! I donīt think Iīm gonna try that operation.. Sounds difficult.. And as you said, itīs illegal. Guess i use my 8310 as a "sms only" phone.. :)

/Swedie

Unique
21-11-2003, 10:29 PM
changing the imei is always illegal, it doesn't matter if you own the phone or anything else.

In the UK we can change the IMEI if we own the phone and do not sell it or swap it after we have done so.

John

Yotamz
21-11-2003, 11:55 PM
ok, my mistake..
i thought it is illegal unless you are the manufacturer of the phone..

marky752000
25-11-2003, 09:49 PM
John,

It was my understanding that it was illegal to change or tamper with the IMEI or to even posses the software or equipment to do it.

Just what I understood, could be that I am I wrong.

Best Regards

Mark

fuzion
25-11-2003, 10:58 PM
John,

It was my understanding that it was illegal to change or tamper with the IMEI or to even posses the software or equipment to do it.

Just what I understood, could be that I am I wrong.

Best Regards

Mark

yes... it's even illegal to possess the equipment and software to change imei's... i believe only manufacturers are legally allowed to changed imei's

Unique
25-11-2003, 11:17 PM
I stand corrected...

http://nokiafree.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10097

John

cdrus
26-11-2003, 12:27 PM
ok.

N-gage.. is this the same as the rest and would need a chip changing.

or

has this one a nothere way????

cdrus

Yotamz
27-11-2003, 12:43 AM
N-Gage is a dct4 model, so the way to change it's imei is the same as other dct4 models - changing the uem chip.

Afsus_gsm
12-12-2003, 11:40 PM
N-Gage is a dct4 model, so the way to change it's imei is the same as other dct4 models - changing the uem chip.

Matrix flasher can support N-gage??

Brad_87
25-02-2004, 02:21 PM
i have a 3410 and at the moment it is a spare fone and i would like to learn how to change the imei on the dct3 fones. i know it is illegal but i dont intend on using the fone after its just to test! thanks

spark001uk
06-03-2004, 03:06 AM
Here's a question:
Just out of curiosity, imagine this scenario:
U get a 3310 that is blocked.
In the bottom of your junk box, u have an old smashed up 5110. U change the imei of the 3310, to that of the 5110. Therefore, you would be using an imei which was totally valid, and u would not be running the risk of using a duplicated imei number. The network would just think you were using the 5110. How would they know any different ??

Yotamz
06-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Here's a question:
Just out of curiosity, imagine this scenario:
U get a 3310 that is blocked.
In the bottom of your junk box, u have an old smashed up 5110. U change the imei of the 3310, to that of the 5110. Therefore, you would be using an imei which was totally valid, and u would not be running the risk of using a duplicated imei number. The network would just think you were using the 5110. How would they know any different ??

that's a good question..basically, 3310 has capabilities that 5110 doesn't have. every series has a range of imei numbers (first 2 digits - manufacturer, next 4 digits model). now, if you try to use a network service, such as call barring, which is not supported by 5110, with a 5110 imei, and it will be logged - this might make the operator think.

but, network services usually have codes (for example: call barring from the menu, is the same as typing *33*password#, or something like that) so there is no way to catch you.. don't know why i wrote all the above :) just meterial to think about.. i guess :rolleyes:
at the end - there isn't any way to get you, but it will still be considered illegal, as you take a stolen phone (3310) and make it work by changing the imei..

djtrouble2003
10-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi.
First of all, I know itīs illegal to change the IMEI on a phone!!!!

My first question is, is it possible to take the imei from a 8210 and put that imei in a 8310?
I guess itīs still illegal if i am the owner of both phones?
My second question is, how is it done if itīs possible?

Thanx!
/Swedie

I don't know sorry i try to find out! :-?

djtrouble2003
10-03-2004, 04:32 PM
In the UK we can change the IMEI if we own the phone and do not sell it or swap it after we have done so.

John

Can You E-mail Me A List On How To Do It! Cos I Want To Do It For A Test! :D
[email protected]