PDA

View Full Version : PC "sweet"

Fulmens
25-11-2003, 09:28 AM
i have uploaded several pictures to my 6610 with nokia's PC Suite, and also with software i bought of the net called Fone Data Suite. the pictures come out very nicely with this fone data suite, but NOT with nokia's pc suite. i have tried uploading the same pictures with both programs; however, on nokia's software they are a bit blurry, enough to make me delete them and use the other program i bought off the net.

do any of you get the same results with PC Suite?

Thanh
28-11-2003, 06:38 AM
Hello :)

If you upload pictures with Nokia's PC suite, the picture files get "compressed", which is to makethem smaller and so to save memory, which is very limited in phones.

You can always use photo manipulating software, such as Photoshop or iPhoto Plus to make the pictures suitable for your phone, such as cropping them to squares and resize those to 128x128 pixels. If you do that carefully, you will get nice small files with still very good quality.

I run a free personal wallpaper website, and my steps to create wallpapers are as follows:

Take digital picture, and convert it to a .jpg file (if it is not already a jpg).
Then crop it (i use iPhoto Plus for all steps now) to be a square, say, if the original is 450x800, i will concentrate on the most important part of the picture (face, car, whatever) and end up with a square picture of something like 400x400 pixels.
Then i do the editing, such as make it brighter, or more contrast, or colour saturation.
I save that picture then as a new file, and re-open this one again in iPhoto Plus for the final step.
Which is to resize the square picture to 128x128 pixels, which fits the screen of Nokia series-40 phones.

By these steps, out of a 150kb original picture, i get a 35kb square and later a 5kb wallpaper. The quality of those is superb.

To upload those to phones, i personally always use WAP, but if i were to use software, i'd go with MobiMB. It does not compress the files such as PC Suite.

I hope i could help......
Kind regards.....
your Thanh

Fulmens
29-11-2003, 01:42 AM

If you upload pictures with Nokia's PC suite, the picture files get "compressed", which is to makethem smaller and so to save memory, which is very limited in phones.

You can always use photo manipulating software, such as Photoshop or iPhoto Plus to make the pictures suitable for your phone, such as cropping them to squares and resize those to 128x128 pixels. If you do that carefully, you will get nice small files with still very good quality.

I run a free personal wallpaper website, and my steps to create wallpapers are as follows:

Take digital picture, and convert it to a .jpg file (if it is not already a jpg).
Then crop it (i use iPhoto Plus for all steps now) to be a square, say, if the original is 450x800, i will concentrate on the most important part of the picture (face, car, whatever) and end up with a square picture of something like 400x400 pixels.
Then i do the editing, such as make it brighter, or more contrast, or colour saturation.
I save that picture then as a new file, and re-open this one again in iPhoto Plus for the final step.
Which is to resize the square picture to 128x128 pixels, which fits the screen of Nokia series-40 phones.

By these steps, out of a 150kb original picture, i get a 35kb square and later a 5kb wallpaper. The quality of those is superb.

To upload those to phones, i personally always use WAP, but if i were to use software, i'd go with MobiMB. It does not compress the files such as PC Suite.

I hope i could help......
Kind regards.....
your Thanh

hey, thank you for your help. i have one question regarding WAP download, since you have that website. i have tried downloading pictures for my phone by just typing in the address of the picture, such as

http://nokiafree.org/forums/images/smilies//smile.gif

for one of the smilies nokiafree.org offers. i am not able to download anything like that. the phone says someting like "file fornmat unknown", or something like that. is that the right way to do it? or am i doing something wrong?

Thanh
01-12-2003, 05:22 AM

The used web server must support "hotlinking" or "remote loading", that is, accessing files directly without going thru a website stored on that same server.

Most webhosts don't allow it, since it makes it possible for web accounts being used as a storage for files. You always have to access a web page from that same server or account in order to see ("access") the files.

I use Tripod, which not only supports hotlinking but also file formats such as jar, jad, mid..... which makes it possible to get games and ringtones via WAP.

Just get a free Tripod account, make sure you got a simple website in there, upload your files (you can even use FTP for that) and download them by WAP... it is dead easy :)

Kind regards.....
your Thanh