PDA

View Full Version : Cables for working with phones

gorgarath
29-11-2003, 02:17 AM
I know this is probabally somewhere else in the forum and the wrong thread for this post and I appologize, but I tried searching with the search box and got no messages found.

My question is what is the differance between mbus, f/mbus, and flasher cables. I know that flasher cables let you upgrade firmware, mods, etc, but can't be used for unlocking. (I think)
I don't know what the differance between an mbus and a f/mbus (or is it a m/fbus?) cable or if it could be used to flash a phone.
I believe I saw on some site about a mbus cable being better for American only phones (ie 3390, 3395 and such?) since the f/mbus sometimes would cause errors? Is any of this true or completly wrong?

Thanks for your time and my possible (most likely) misguided locating of this post.

Sincerely,
gorgarath

Yotamz
29-11-2003, 01:32 PM
mbus and fbus are two modes of communication between the computer and the phone.

mbus has one pin, and so it is half-duplex (=transmission is only in one direction at a time).
mbus is slower than fbus, but it is used mostly for unlocking and changing settings.

fbus uses two pins of the connector, and so it is full-duplex (the phone can send and recieve data at the same time).
fbus is the faster connection, and it is used when you want to use the phone as a modem.

f/mbus cable is a cable that supports both fbus and mbus.

uploading ringtones, logos, activating netmonitor etc can be done in both modes.

about that stuff about american phones - it is not true. the better cable is the one that meets your requirements.

gorgarath
29-11-2003, 05:24 PM
So, basically a f/mbus cable can do everything a flasher cable can do and more, correct? I was looking online last night and found this:
http://www.ttsunlock.com/unibox/
Has anyone ever used something like this, is it better than getting the cables for the differant phones? I have a nokia phone which I believe would be cheaper to just get the cable for, but I also do have a motorola and a samsung phone as well. Would it be less expensive to get something like that that hooks up to all 3 phones or get the seperate cables individually?
Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,
gorgarath

Yotamz
29-11-2003, 06:18 PM
sorry, i forgot the part about the flasher cable.

a flasher cable is used to flash software (firmware) to the phone.
you can't flash with a m/fbus cable, and you can't unlock and upload icons with a flasher cable. maybe there are adaptors that can make the mbus cable work like a flasher, but normally you can't flash with it.

about the box:
boxes are for massive use, if you have a shop for example, and you are flashing many types of phones - a box is a good solution for you. but these boxes are usually very expensive, and if you need it for only 3 phones - you don't need it, cables will be cheaper.

gorgarath
29-11-2003, 08:33 PM
This is probabally somewhere else, but for a quick answer, is a mod a firmware update or would you use a f/mbus cable for mods? I figured the flasher cable was for mods and icons and such, but you said a f/mbus cable is for the icons, so I'm not completly sure what is what. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
gorgarath