PDA

View Full Version : OT: What happens if...

cjard
08-01-2004, 01:34 PM
apologies if this is off-topic for this forum.. its a question that doesnt appear to fit anywhere.

What happens if a person (such as myself) buys a second hand phone, say, out of the newspaper.. and then the toad who sold it, reports to the network that it has been stolen, and they bar it?
Changing the IMEI is an option that lands you in jail if caught.. does anyone know if there exists a mechanism for contacting service providers to notify them that there is a new owner of a handset?
An inherent difficulty with this, is that the original service provider may not be known - if i buy the phone without a SIM, it would be necessary to notify every provider?

Fortunately, it appears that people arent so immoral and outright nasty.. but the fact that it could happen may mean that someone will try it one day, jsut for the sake of it..

danwood76
08-01-2004, 02:28 PM
I would get in contact with the person who sold it, then contact the police and tell them who sold it to you!

I would very much doubt the person who owned it before reported it stolen!
More like they stole it sold it to you then the phone was reported stolen by the original owner!

What phone is it by the way?
Some phones can have the IMEI changed easily!
The dct3 phones can be doen by cable and software but dct4 phones have it stored on a chip!

cjard
08-01-2004, 04:13 PM
I would get in contact with the person who sold it, then contact the police and tell them who sold it to you!

I would very much doubt the person who owned it before reported it stolen!
More like they stole it sold it to you then the phone was reported stolen by the original owner!

What phone is it by the way?
Some phones can have the IMEI changed easily!
The dct3 phones can be doen by cable and software but dct4 phones have it stored on a chip!

oh..it hasnt happened to me.. i just realised this morning that it could happen (and forewarned is fore-armed).. im really only interested in dct3.. i dont need colour screens or cameras etc and all that BS, so all the phones i consider getting second hand, are dct3

danwood76
08-01-2004, 06:33 PM
If I get hold of say a blocked 3310 all I do is change the case and IMEI with a broken one I've got (if I cant repair it that is)

it is an interesting thing but I supose if you have a recipt of the purchase off the original owner then get in contact with the mobile operator they can turn the block off if you can prove that you bought it off thye original owner!

FU_Too
09-01-2004, 04:39 AM
If I get hold of say a blocked 3310 all I do is change the case and IMEI with a broken one I've got (if I cant repair it that is)

it is an interesting thing but I supose if you have a recipt of the purchase off the original owner then get in contact with the mobile operator they can turn the block off if you can prove that you bought it off thye original owner!

I just thought Id add my experience to this thread.
I bought a few phones from ebay and one nokia had different imei in phone than on case (and case said orange) so I tried changing number to one on case and it worked I then phone orange and asked I either number was on any list, they told me both ok. following month bought motorola which I understood to be locked on celnet but when I got it unlocked discovered was blocked on orange. I again phone orange and explained that I bought it in good faith etc gave my name etc and they unblocked it for me. I suppose because it wasnt one of the expensive ones and they not knowing it unlocked thing new customer. :) So sometimes not all lost in being turned over with blocked phone.