PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever tried flashing 3330 software onto a 3310?

cjard
12-01-2004, 01:14 PM
conspiracy theory goes that the later model 3310 are just 3330 with different software? froma manufacturing point of view, this makes sense. I was somewhat hesitant to write a flash file to my older 3310, but someone here said the flash memory on their 3310 successfully held a 16 megabyte file.

rolis gives me a warning, that i could kill my phone, and im like "well, sure, but if i take a full flash backup, like i have done already, i'll just flash that back, or a virgin one, if i kill it, right?"

the "eeprom zone" this is just memory area, right? it isnt actually any different, physically, to the MCU area? i.e. it doesnt go on a different chip or anything?

so basically, the question im after asking.. should i flash a 3330 software to my 3310, just to see what happens, cause i can always flash back my backup, right? :)

danwood76
12-01-2004, 01:33 PM
The only difference between the new 3310's and 3330 is the flash IC
One can hold 16 Mbits and the other holds 32 Mbits

16 Mbits is equal to 2 Mbyte
32 Mbits is equal to 4 Mbytes

as one byte is 8 bits

It is not possible to flash 3330 to 3310 but is possible other way round

cjard
12-01-2004, 02:25 PM
buahhh.. i get it now! lol, i thought when rolis was telling me the phone has a 16Mb flash, it was bytes.. totally forgot about bits for a second.

SO what of that dude who reckoned he used his phone like a 16Mbyte USB memory stick thing (in that he saved work to it, took it home and it was ok?)
Couple of pork pies somewhere?

cjard
12-01-2004, 02:31 PM
another Q.. has anyone graphically mapped out what each area of the memory actually does? like, taken it apart with a disassembler, and run the phone through everything it can do? i think to do this would help no end with projects like MADos, if there was some software profiler to take a block of machine code, fun it through an emulator and watch for common jumps; screen, keypad, call init, sms send..
think how great it would be to be able to cut blocks of code out the MCU so that the nokia software still handled all the hard stuff, like call setup etc.. hmm, i'd have liked to have done this as a university project. i wonder if there is a phd opportunity in such a profiler :)

NokDoc
12-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Mr. Cjard.

I think that is exactly what I am doing.

I look at several files with WinArm and try to find out the differences and think of the reasons for that.

I'm not sure, but I think that is what people call the actual reversing.

Eg the 4>7 bars came forth of the result of mixing a 7110 flash with a 8210.

NokDoc

killer04
15-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Lol i tried that but my phone died so i had to re-flash a virgin eeprom then reflash it (same when i tried to flash a 3210 flash onto it)