PDA

View Full Version : 5510 problem...

caleb_2
05-09-2002, 07:30 PM
hi there,
I got a baaad problem with my 5510... somehow I killed 40MB of the mp3-memory... I have no idea as to how I could get it back. can I format the disk under windows? can I somehow erase the entire content of it? please please help me... I just can't live with 20MB for MP3s ;) and I really have no idea on how to do this :confused:

thanks already!!

caleb_2

wfc
06-09-2002, 05:31 AM
the software supplied. NAM will allow you to format or you could do it in win explorer:)

caleb_2
06-09-2002, 02:33 PM
I tried NAM before several times, but the 40mb are still blocked and show up as used in NAM even if I format it and there are NO files visible which could take up the space!!
I am now trying to use win explorer to format it, but this is taking AGES! Been sitting here for 5min and it's just about 1%! :( I really hope the waiting will be awarded... will tell you all when I see the results and thanks for the reply wfc!!

greetz,
caleb_2

caleb_2
08-09-2002, 08:56 AM
hm... okay, I tried formatting with windows explorer, but at about 80-90% it said that windows couldn't complete formatting. :( and still 39,9MB show up as used in NAM and windows explorer although no file is on it!! :( I'm getting really pissed now, cos I don't think I could take it to service because I have changed leds and have an inverted display and they will probably say that the change caused this problem (although the problem was there already before I changed leds etc.) and then just tell me to jerk off or something :mad:
oh well... I just hope someone here has an idea on how to fix this

g'bye for now *waiting for replies*

caleb_2

wfc
08-09-2002, 01:18 PM
hhmmm....
i have never seen this problem before but i do have a theory that i would like to make open to debate.
here it is
the music memory and the flash memory are 2 seperate chips on the phone
now when a file is uploaded to the music memory a couple of bytes of info is also written to the eeprom of the phone to tell the phones software that a music file is in the other memory and can be accessed. if anyone has programmed in C it is like a pointer i guess. this is just like when you upload an op logo to your phone, it is stored in the eeprom.
so i guess if you flashed a virgin eeprom to the phone it will think that there is 60mg there to use.
what do you think? this is the only thing i could come up with at the moment
:)

caleb_2
08-09-2002, 03:06 PM
that's a really good point! haven't thought of that (was actually thinkin' the memory of the mp3-player was damaged in some way...). I am currently still waiting for my dejan flasher cable and a f/m-bus cable for my 5510, but as soon as I get them I will try to flash a virgin eeprom onto my phone (tho I have no idea how to do that... yet). Or should I first upgrade the Software to v3.53? (the current software is v3.42).

/me is now searching for some stuff on flashing virgin eeproms

ps: thanks again for the help wfc!

caleb_2
12-09-2002, 04:14 PM
humm...
wfc I have a question for you :D

first of all, I still haven't received my cables :mad:
but I tried connecting the 5510 to my pc via the supplied USB-cable and read the sector data out with hex workshop. I found something very funny... all sectors are filled with 0000s or FFFFs respectedly, but in no apparent order. do the 0000s mean that the space there is free and the FFFFs mean that the space is used? if it was like that, could I edit the FFFFs to be 0000s so it would be empty again? just a thought of mine... what do you think? would it be worth the try or will I kill my memory?
hope you have any idea or can be of any help in any other way.

thanks

caleb_2

edit: they are not all filled with FFFFs and 0000s as I have seen now... some parts are filled with junk (I think). there are even some shreds of names of mp3s I have copied onto it and deleted far than three months ago!!!! :confused: I think I'll try to fill it all (except the first sector) up with 0000s and then try to write it to the phone's memory... I sure hope this works, otherwise I'll have a totally f****ed up phone :(

caleb_2
12-09-2002, 05:47 PM
hmm
just to keep any1 who is reading this thread informed (even tho I guess that's just me and wfc :D) I have tried to exchange some of the FFFFs and the junk stuff on the drive with 0000s (just the first 30 sectors) and voilá! I have a clean memory! *yaaaay* :D :D :D okay... at least windows says that 100% of the drive is empty...
I will try to put some mp3-files on the drive now and come back here and write what happened.

wfc
13-09-2002, 05:36 AM
ffff usually means used memory. thats a very inventive way of clearing the memory. has it worked?

caleb_2
13-09-2002, 12:47 PM
ummm...
quick answer: NO :(
first of all I tried to "clean" the memory with 0000s, but I can't find an easy way to do this :(
first of all I tried to clean some of the sectors manually and had the result explained above (seemingly clean memory) but it didn't work. it just showed up as empty, but it wasn't, I couldn't use all of the 60mb, when copying files to the memory it would crash after some time saying that it couldn't write to the memory because of a write or network error and after this windows can't read the memory anymore. after reconnecting and rebooting the phone it doesn't show any files in the memory although a couple of files were copied correctly.
after this I tried to save the sectors from the phone to my disk (which worked) and edit the saved file to contain only 0000s, then trying to "flash" this file to the memory (overwriting the old sectors) which ended up in nothing again :( after maybe 2-4% it says that it can't write to sectors 1-64 which comes up again and again no matter how often I click on ignore, retry doesn't help either and windows can't read the memory anymore after this, too.
at the moment I am trying to clean all of the sectors manually, but this is taking me ages :( there are a total of 125152 sectors of 512 bytes and I am now somewhere around sector #600... this is starting to really piss me off...
and my f!§/$ing cables haven't arrived either...
:mad: :mad: :mad:
buuuutttt.... I'm not giving up (yet), this goddamn phone won't break my pride of me repairing it myself :D

liteFun
13-09-2002, 02:10 PM
caleb, easy solution to fill with 00's:
open your hex editor so you can overwrite data.
put something to your keyboards 0 key, and then some weight and go shopping or something.. or sleep..
after some time it will be finished..

i haven't tried it myself and don't know if there's crc's or something. but 00 should be ok, then crc will be 00...

caleb_2
13-09-2002, 03:49 PM
sure, I thought of that already liteFun!!!
but the problem is: hexedit chops the data up into sectors. that means: 125152 * 512 bytes of data and you have to go to the next sector MANUALLY!!! :( that again means: fill 1 sector up with 0000s, go to next sector (then it asks you if you want to save changes in the previous sector, answer yes), fill next sector up etc.... and this is really taking ages :mad:
oh yeah, just to mention it: I haven't found any way to make the sectors show up as one continuous long file (except extracting them, but then I can't restore them anymore [as mentioned above])...

oh well... one other thing: I can't edit the data in the first sector, where it says which format it is etc... (FAT 16 bla bla it says there).
I thought of looking for a program which can format the disk to FAT12 (as I read somewhere that this is the "native" format of the disk, and) as formatting it in FAT16 won't work, but I was unable to find such a program which will work!! :( I found "DiskMan 4" which should be able to do this, but it won't work under Windows 2000 and I do not have access to any Win9x/ME box with USB-support atm :( :(

I'm getting really pissed with this problem... I do hope having some booze tonight will cleanse my thoughts up :D at least it's something that distracts me from the problem for some hours, and then maybe I might be able to think properly tomorrow ;)

liteFun
14-09-2002, 04:06 PM
use another editor.

or try in command prompt FORMAT (your5510drive): /U /C

caleb_2
15-09-2002, 09:38 AM
okay will try to format in the win2k command box using format x: /U now (the /c trigger won't work somehow, it says the format is FAT and FAT doesn't support compression). been sitting here for about half and hour and the damn thing is somewhere around 20% of just pre-checking the memory *argh* I hope it will work, will be back to post what happened in 2 hours or so ;)

edit: well... after it finished checking the memory it told me something like "track 0 not readable" or something [got german windoze, excuse the crappy translation] and won't format :( ahhhhhhhhh goddamn it....

liteFun
16-09-2002, 11:56 AM
it won't work if in w2k /C is for compression.
you have to use format.exe from w9x. or better is from msdos6.22.
get w9x bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com or something.

caleb_2
16-09-2002, 12:30 PM
I thought of that, too...
but there is one problem: how do I get the drive to show up in dos?? and I do not have any access to a comp with win9x/me that is usb-compatible :(
and btw: it won't even start formatting because this "track 0" problem or whatever (mentioned above), is there a workaround for this? in windows it _will_ start formatting and go pretty far but can't complete it :(

NAS
18-09-2002, 10:48 PM
writing 0 to your disk will not solve your problem but try may be it will work i can send u my disk but it is 60 mb need a site to upload
any ways u can edit your whole disk in 1 page with hex work shop when u open your disk the prog will split it into sectors right ?
ok go to disk then save sectors and save them and then open the saved sectors it will be opened in 1 page
note that my disk is not all 0000 it has some codes in it so writing 000 is not the solusion but may be it will work try

nrtlite
04-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Caleb_2.. was ur problem solved? Im also having the same problem.. I just hope some1 was able to decipher a solution to this problem. Ive been trying to look for a Disk Utility so that I can Format the Mp3 memory but still nothing.

CH4R1ie
21-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I had a similar problems, but they were a little different. When I tried to delete files the filesize was set to zero, but the space wasn't always freed. I tried using HexWorkshop to edit the sectors of my phone's space for music storage. I've found out that the 0th sector can't be edited and that is why format and other software fail to format the drive. Of course the rest of the sectors can be erased. I couldn't read some of the last sectors, but that's not a problem. Probably erasing some of the first sectors should be enought, because I created file full of hex values of 00 and it did the job well done. Using "Restore sectors..." I started erasing the first sectors, but I cancelled the operation, because it would take far too long and is not even necessary to erase the whole drive. When I tried to modify the 0th sector too (but using the same data, as it originally contained), but afterwards, I needed to disconnect and reconnect the drive. Instead it's much easier to leave the 0th sector intact and start erasing from the 1st sector. I've uploaded these files to my webspace, so anyone could download them if the local mirror didn't work. Here's the link:
http://web.t-online.hu/eagleser/64mb00.zip

You'll also need a hexeditor software like HexWorkshop, which can edit sectors and modify them using a file. I hope this answers a few questions and solves the problem you might encounter. :D