PDA

View Full Version : IMEI Changing

spark001uk
06-03-2004, 03:12 AM
I know this is illegal in a lot of countries, but just out of interest:
Imagine this scenario:
U get a 3310 for example, that is blocked.
In the bottom of your junk box, u have an old smashed up 5110. U change the imei of the 3310, to that of the 5110. Therefore, you would be using an imei which was totally valid, and u would not be running the risk of using a duplicated imei number. The network would just register that you were using the 5110. How would they know any different ??

Yotamz
06-03-2004, 03:24 AM
you asked the same question in this thread:

http://nokiafree.org/forums/t49077/h/s.html

so please keep all the discussion about this subject there.

spark001uk
07-03-2004, 02:57 AM
you asked the same question in this thread:

http://nokiafree.org/forums/t49077/h/s.html

so please keep all the discussion about this subject there.

Yes i did. I then realised it was a dct4 forum. My post was dct3 specific. Which is why im here !! :)

Can u throw any light on my question ?

Yotamz
07-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Copy of the reply i posted in the other thread

that's a good question..basically, 3310 has capabilities that 5110 doesn't have. every series has a range of imei numbers (first 2 digits - manufacturer, next 4 digits model). now, if you try to use a network service, such as call barring, which is not supported by 5110, with a 5110 imei, and it will be logged - this might make the operator think.

but, network services usually have codes (for example: call barring from the menu, is the same as typing *33*password#, or something like that) so there is no way to catch you.. don't know why i wrote all the above :) just meterial to think about.. i guess :rolleyes:
at the end - there isn't any way to get you, but it will still be considered illegal, as you take a stolen phone (3310) and make it work by changing the imei..

spark001uk
07-03-2004, 07:43 PM
True. But then again theyve obviously taken into account that your average guy has stolen / bought a stolen phone and doctored it for their own use, hence why they started using write-once uem's. But even then people only need a five quid i.c. and access to a smt workstation of some kind ! Its like hacking isnt it, - no sooner is anything done than its outdone !

JAC
09-03-2004, 05:18 PM
I think I covered this a while back. The only legal way, as far as I can see, is to purchase a duplicate phone for parts, so you can use the IMEI.As long as you own both phones legally, I cant see a problem.But only do this if the other phone is unusable like a damaged PCB for example.

I personally wouldnt, but then again most people can get wintesla which prints out the chassis stickers anyway!

I know some contract mobiles which have been barred solely as their contract has expired. In this case I would do it.

JAC
www.jac-computers.co.uk

FU_Too
10-03-2004, 06:31 PM
I think I covered this a while back. The only legal way, as far as I can see, is to purchase a duplicate phone for parts, so you can use the IMEI.As long as you own both phones legally, I cant see a problem.But only do this if the other phone is unusable like a damaged PCB for example.

JAC
www.jac-computers.co.uk
there seems to be confusion over the act so here's a copy:-
Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002
2002 Chapter 31
An Act to create offences in respect of unique electronic equipment identifiers of mobile wireless communications devices.
[24th July 2002]
BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Re-programming mobile telephones.

A person commits an offence if-
(a) he changes a unique device identifier, or
(b) he interferes with the operation of a unique device identifier.

A unique device identifier is an electronic equipment identifier which is unique to a mobile wireless communications device.

But a person does not commit an offence under this section if-
(a) he is the manufacturer of the device, or
(b) he does the act mentioned in subsection (1) with the written consent of the manufacturer of the device.

A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable-

(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or to both, or
(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to a fine or to both.

2. Possession or supply of anything for re-programming purposes

(1) A person commits an offence if-

(a) he has in his custody or under his control anything which may be used for the purpose of changing or interfering with the operation of a unique device identifier, and
(b) he intends to use the thing unlawfully for that purpose or to allow it to be used unlawfully for that purpose.

(2) A person commits an offence if-

(a) he supplies anything which may be used for the purpose of changing or interfering with the operation of a unique device identifier, and

(b) he knows or believes that the person to whom the thing is supplied intends to use it unlawfully for that purpose or to allow it to be used unlawfully for that purpose.

(3) A person commits an offence if-

(a) he offers to supply anything which may be used for the purpose of changing or interfering with the operation of a unique device identifier, and
(b) he knows or believes that the person to whom the thing is offered intends if it is supplied to him to use it unlawfully for that purpose or to allow it to be used unlawfully for that purpose.

(4) A unique device identifier is an electronic equipment identifier which is unique to a mobile wireless communications device.

(5) A thing is used by a person unlawfully for a purpose if in using it for that purpose he commits an offence under section 1.

(6) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable-

(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to a fine or to both.

3 Citation etc.

(1) This Act may be cited as the Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002.

(2) Sections 1 and 2 come into force in accordance with provision made by the Secretary of State by order made by statutory instrument.

(3) This Act extends to Northern Ireland.

You'll notice that it IS illegal to possess or supply equipment, sofware or information knowing it is going to be used to perform the changing of imei.
Remember this is a UK law
So Be Careful

spark001uk
10-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Yes thanks for that, but unfortunately that was not the original question ! The question posed was a question, just out of interest, with regard to whether or not a handset with the imei from a different model would be recogniseable as so to the network.

JAC
10-03-2004, 11:03 PM
I believe we are all familiar with the act regarding IMEI changing.I did state "legally own the phones", not go out and steal one.
Another thing, majority of us use flashing software of some description, which in the menus has the option to use the original IMEI or write a new one.
before the act was released, no doubt it was big business.
I did state I would'nt do it, I was just answering a question.

Regards

JAC
www.jac-computers.co.uk

FU_Too
10-03-2004, 11:39 PM
I believe we are all familiar with the act regarding IMEI changing.I did state "legally own the phones", not go out and steal one.
Another thing, majority of us use flashing software of some description, which in the menus has the option to use the original IMEI or write a new one.
before the act was released, no doubt it was big business.
I did state I would'nt do it, I was just answering a question.

Regards

JAC
www.jac-computers.co.uk As there seemed to be so much misconception in these pages as to the interpretation I just had to mention it. Like if you look at the blurb issued by the police it says its illegal to have any imei changing equipment or software unless you are a manufacturer but the law states its only illegal if youve used it or intend to use it since the law was passed. However their argument would be why have you got it if you dont intend using it.
I also thought that the imei number included a code for manufacturer and model of phone. But saying that, before it was illegal I know that the number from a trashed 3310 was put to a blocked (through non completion of contract) 8210 and that is still to the best of my knowledge still being used on same network.