PDA

View Full Version : unlocking worked.......sort of

frogtop
29-03-2004, 10:48 PM
I unlocked a virgin mobile 3310 last night, so that my wife could put her cellnet sim in it. the unlocking worked fine (had to use both codes), but my wife cannot dial out. she can get incoming calls, and send txt, but when she dials out a voice call, she gets the message "request not understood". my O2 sim works in the unlocked phone, and the cellnet sim works in my t68 (she can't use my 68 tho, coz the battery dies after 6 hours). the cellnet sim worked worked in my wife's 3310 until she spilt coke on the phone, and broke the phone.

any ideas?

jucks
11-04-2004, 09:38 PM
that is strange, i have never hered that before, if i was you i would just buy a new sim card, o2 is good at the moment, and the sim's are only 99 pence each from the o2.co.uk website. sorry i couldnt help.
Jucks.

FU_Too
12-04-2004, 02:05 AM
I unlocked a virgin mobile 3310 last night, so that my wife could put her cellnet sim in it. the unlocking worked fine (had to use both codes), but my wife cannot dial out. she can get incoming calls, and send txt, but when she dials out a voice call, she gets the message "request not understood". my O2 sim works in the unlocked phone, and the cellnet sim works in my t68 (she can't use my 68 tho, coz the battery dies after 6 hours). the cellnet sim worked worked in my wife's 3310 until she spilt coke on the phone, and broke the phone.

any ideas?excuse my ignorance but isnt O2 the same network as cellnet? the other thing, did the cellnet sim work in any other phone after it had the drink of coke? if not possible damaged by the submergence of phone and sim. Try it in other working phone and if its the sim you should be able to get replacement. :)

jucks
12-04-2004, 03:26 AM
your right, o2 is bt cellnet, but the old cellnet sims, are out dated, they are the old expensive tariffs, you can buy new genie sim cards for 99p, from the o2 site, and they sell for more than that on ebay. just though id try and help the guy,

FU_Too
12-04-2004, 12:21 PM
your right, o2 is bt cellnet, but the old cellnet sims, are out dated, they are the old expensive tariffs, you can buy new genie sim cards for 99p, from the o2 site, and they sell for more than that on ebay. just though id try and help the guy,I'm sorry if you thought I was taking a dig at you cos I wasnt, I only mentioned in case it was a duff sim and not a problem with the phone. I always think its a good thing to upgrade to better value/service (as you point out) but I thought those 99p chips had a condition of topping up every month whereas mine might be a bit more expensive on calls WHEN i use it but dont have to use it all the time.
Just a thought :)

jucks
12-04-2004, 02:51 PM
yep your right, minimum top up of £10 a month, its good really, because you get 300 wap mins free every time you top up, and 300 txt messages, every moth as default, you can change it:
text messages media messages
1 300 0
2 200 25
3 100 50
4 0 75

Not bad ay?

I would recomend the new sim, up 2 u really though.

FU_Too
14-04-2004, 08:44 PM
yep your right, minimum top up of £10 a month, its good really, because you get 300 wap mins free every time you top up, and 300 txt messages, every moth as default, you can change it:
text messages media messages
1 300 0
2 200 25
3 100 50
4 0 75

Not bad ay?

I would recomend the new sim, up 2 u really though.Problem is the 3310 doesnt have Wap or media texts and I would imagine unless you a teenager 300 texts a month would give you arthritis in your finger. Could put that argument for G3, £12.50 a month for first 3 months then £25 a month gets you 500 mins a month to any network PLUS a free nokia 7600 but weve gone off topic of 3310 a little havent we :rolleyes:

cjard
20-04-2004, 07:19 PM
but you said you never use your phone.. ? so why would you need 500 minutes? just buy a phone on Tesco's network.. its like, 20p/min all day any day, any network which is really good for occasional users, and all texts are 10p all time any time

there might be concessions like 10p/min to other tesco mobiles and landlines..

oh.. i forgot what i was actually going to say... all this buggering about with a coked up phone and one with a weak battery.. just replace them both.. i got a mint 7110 on ebay for 12.50.. i can pay more than that for a battery :)

last tiem i checked (read: bought the girlie a christmas present) asda were selling 3410 for £45 with a sim card.. well, its a rubbish TMobile thing, so take it out and sell it for a fiver, makes the phone 40 quid.. use the unlock codes generator, and you end up with a good phone thats not too fancy, but still has rhythmic backlights, fading, java games, wap, high res lcd screen etc.. and a li-ion battery that lasts about a week...

pointless messing around for 40 quid..

cjard
20-04-2004, 07:28 PM
yep your right, minimum top up of £10 a month,

whoa there cowboy.. its not quite right..

you dont get cut off if you dont put at least 10 quid on your phone.. you just lose your remaining free messages, wap minutes, and get charged for texts and wap after that...

you can still get calls for 2 p on the weekends etc.. so theres no minimum top up to keep the darn thing alive, you just have to make a chargeable call (or topup) once every 3 months...

so heres the scenario:

january 1st, you buy the phone, put 10 quid on it
jan 3rd, you get a text saying "you now have 300 free texts for the next 30 days. top up 10 quid before the 30 days runs out, to secure your free allowance for the 30 days after that" -- or something like that

.. well, you dont use all your texts.. infact, you send 100 in the 30 days

jan 29 you get a text (3 days before the 30 days are up) saying "youre too late to credit your phone so that your message allowance continues on. in 3 days time you will be charged 10p until you next top up.."
feb 2nd (30 days after jan 3rd) your allowance runs out, you lose your remaining 200 texts and however many wap minutes.. you are now charged for texts at 10p

feb 19th you top up 10 quid
3 days later you get a text saying "you now have 300 free texts for the next 30 days" ...

and off it goes...

heck you could top up your phone once, then only use it on weekends and it would last for months.. if you dont send texts, youre not bothered about the free allowance

-

however, if this is your usage pattern, you might consider buying an o2 OFFLINE sim (i was talking about the ONLINE sim) from your high street retailer. for that sim you can buy text in bulk, pre-ordered.. for as little as 3p each, and then it stays with you until it runs out..

if you work it out 10 quid a month for 300 messages is 3.33 p each.. but you have only got 30 days to use them up.. with the bolt ons, you get much longer, but no free wap, and calls arent 2p/min (i think they go down to 5p at the cheapest) after 3 minutes...

FU_Too
20-04-2004, 08:35 PM
whoa there cowboy.. its not quite right..

you dont get cut off if you dont put at least 10 quid on your phone.. you just lose your remaining free messages, wap minutes, and get charged for texts and wap after that...

you can still get calls for 2 p on the weekends etc.. so theres no minimum top up to keep the darn thing alive, you just have to make a chargeable call (or topup) once every 3 months...

so heres the scenario:

january 1st, you buy the phone, put 10 quid on it
jan 3rd, you get a text saying "you now have 300 free texts for the next 30 days. top up 10 quid before the 30 days runs out, to secure your free allowance for the 30 days after that" -- or something like that

.. well, you dont use all your texts.. infact, you send 100 in the 30 days

jan 29 you get a text (3 days before the 30 days are up) saying "youre too late to credit your phone so that your message allowance continues on. in 3 days time you will be charged 10p until you next top up.."
feb 2nd (30 days after jan 3rd) your allowance runs out, you lose your remaining 200 texts and however many wap minutes.. you are now charged for texts at 10p

feb 19th you top up 10 quid
3 days later you get a text saying "you now have 300 free texts for the next 30 days" ...

and off it goes...

heck you could top up your phone once, then only use it on weekends and it would last for months.. if you dont send texts, youre not bothered about the free allowance

-

however, if this is your usage pattern, you might consider buying an o2 OFFLINE sim (i was talking about the ONLINE sim) from your high street retailer. for that sim you can buy text in bulk, pre-ordered.. for as little as 3p each, and then it stays with you until it runs out..

if you work it out 10 quid a month for 300 messages is 3.33 p each.. but you have only got 30 days to use them up.. with the bolt ons, you get much longer, but no free wap, and calls arent 2p/min (i think they go down to 5p at the cheapest) after 3 minutes...
I wont argue with you, but thats not what the lady at O2 told me when I told her Id lost my sim, she told me to buy one for about 9.99 from market as cost the earth from O2 and to avoid like the plague the ones on the net the require minimum of £10. top up a month. But as I said b4 this has gone off topic of the locked 3310 hasnt it? :)

cjard
21-04-2004, 11:45 AM
well, if every conversation people had never wanderd, it would be pretty boring...

trust me, i have an Online300 sim card, and it works in the exact way i describe.. im forever forgetting to put 10 quid on my phone, and i get the texts saying "you now have to pay for your texts till you top up again" but the phone DOES NOT GET CUT OFF :)

its basically a "contract phone" that you can opt out of if you feel like it..
if you pay them 10 each month, it costs you 120 quid a year, you get 3600 texts and wap minutes as benefits. if you dont want to pay the 10 quid, you dont get the benefits, but the phone carries on working

and also.. even though they say "you must have some credit on your phone to get the free texts to work", i have successfully carried on sending free texts (up to my allowance,) after i ran out of credit on the phone (i had sent about 250 texts in the month, by the time i flattened the credit to 0, and it just carried on sending the remaining 50 free texts)

your milage may vary on the last issue, but i can say for definite that your phone will not be cut off or disconnected if you forget to top up a tenner...

NokiaFlashUser
21-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Yes you are correct cjard as i also have the smae sim as you and do not get cut off after the 30 days like you said, also if you run out of credit bfore your 30 days is up you still have your free txts to send as cjard said :rolleyes:

NFU