PDA

View Full Version : 3510--DCT-4 strange story...

AViOR+->-
29-03-2004, 11:04 PM
Hello....

I own a nokia 3510/NHM-8 with v. 3.37 OS...

Okay, it performs pretty well for me, no bugs other users have reported exist on mine :-)

However, sometimes, after alarm activation with initially "acting-dead" (i.e. shut down, for the end-user) phone, strange thing do happen...

After silencing the alarm, instead of displaying a "Do you want to reactivate the phone?"-alike, it enters in a extreme strange operation mode, which i suspect is the one that phone uses when sim is not loaded, i.e. in alarm activation or pre-sim normal operation.

I have some pics about this strange menu, sorry, i use greek language in my menus, howver, i think the important part will not be missed by anyone

pic 1... this is the "strange-state" initial page... note that only the menu option and the battery indcation exist, NO network rx level, NO operator logo, NO "names" display on the bottom-right of the screen... If u press any keys, except the one that opens the menu, phone does nothing, it even does not dispaly the mumber you pressed :-). Even the top key does not work, if u want to shutoff the handset, remove the battery :-)
http://www.cc.ece.ntua.gr/~chvlat/3510-1.jpg
pic 2... this is the Organiser menu... note that NO date is shown iside the calendar pic, an indication that the phone does not use any date i/o...
http://www.cc.ece.ntua.gr/~chvlat/3510-3.jpg
pic 3... this is the profiles menu... A strange thing here, cauz those of you who know greek may notice that these are the phones "default" profiles, and for sure, not the profiles i created in my phone... strange, huh? Note that most of the menus did not function completely, i.e after a number of key presses they returned me to the screen of the pic 1, instead of doing the function they wre supposed to do.
http://www.cc.ece.ntua.gr/~chvlat/3510-4.jpg
pic 4... Now, this is the most interesting part and the true reason i wrote all this sh*t... Some people claim there's no netmonitor in DCT-4 phones blah blah blah but, wow, it popped out to me as you can see in this pic... Saddenly, it did not work, after selecting it, the phone returned to the screen of pic 1... Note also tha t the sim services menu option never appeared during this mode. Note, however, that the stopwatch functioned normally, it even remembered the "normal-operation" times i have stored!
http://www.cc.ece.ntua.gr/~chvlat/3510-2.jpg

After removing the bat, and re-starting normally the phone, it worked as a "normal" 3510, however, no net monitor on it (snif).

Did anyone else encounter a similar situation with his/her phone? Can anyone give me a technical explanation of what i saw? And, is there a way to activate netmonitor in dct4??

Yotamz
30-03-2004, 11:50 PM
ok.. first of all - thanks very much for the pictures and the detailed message :)

now, this "bug" was reported before, with the same model, and exactly same thing with the alarm clock (activate alarm, turn off the phone....), however, nobody replied with the same thing, so we thought it is only on his phones, now that you have it too it is probably a firmware bug that allows to activate netmonitor.

does the netmonitor menu function? or it sends you back to the main screen?
if it works - open it, and enter 243 as test number.
at least in dct3s test 243 is to activate netmonitor, even though it is pretty useless, because you can only enter it when netmonitor is activated, but it might change the profile bit in the flash to permanently activate netmonitor.

if you want - try it, and post results.. :)

p.s.
noone said there is no netmonitor in dct4s, just that nobody knows how to activate it without the help of nokia.

p.s.2
i have read it again and seen that the menu didn't work... but if you somehow (don't know how) manage to get it working - this will probably be the way to activate it.

AViOR+->-
31-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Hello...

Well, i think this is not something "identical" to my phone... Reason...

Many times i've unsuccesfully tried to initiate this "bizzare" mode... Of course, as i mentioned before, 9 out of 10 times it was unsuccesfull...

However... Pressing continiousely up and down the left blue key of my handset, while it was closed and waiting for the alarm to activate it, i also saw the phonebook initial screen tenths of seconds before the "alarm screen" was deployed... Also, connecting my phone to an FBUS cable and using gammu --monitor during alarm awakening, i received phone &battery status but NO network-related information...

So, i believe this "special" mode is nothing but a "safe-mode" of the nokia OS, used during phone boot, like before sim insertion or the alarm-awakening...

Nokia's level 3 service manual states :

"Acting Dead
If the phone is off when the charger is connected, the phone is powered on but enters a state called ”Acting Dead”, in this mode no RF parts are powered. To the user, the phone acts as if it was switched off. A battery charging alert is given and/or a battery charging indication on the display is shown to acknowledge the user that the battery is being charged."

Note that in the "strange-state" also NO rf parts seem to be powered, and no communication with the sim card is established. Maybe this is also an "Acting Dead" mode? It seems that nokia uses a watchdog to prevent netmonitor operation in the "active" state and that this "watchdog" is disabled elsewhere.

PS: No Yotamz, net monitor does not work, as does the majority of the other menus too... I really wonder a hell how could we activate it... Really, how did the knowledge of activating netmonitor in DCT-3 came to us some years ago?

PS 2: Maybe if this thread was moved in the developpers or a more appropriate area, we could see more opinions :smile:

Yotamz
31-03-2004, 11:58 PM
I really wonder a hell how could we activate it... Really, how did the knowledge of activating netmonitor in DCT-3 came to us some years ago?

i guess nokia didn't know that their software is so easy to "crack" back then.
the dct4 software is harder to decode than dct3, but it is in progress, don't worry :) .
i'm 100% sure that we will have netmonitor in dct4s some day.. and in my opinion - it will happen soon..

..just like dct3 codes calculator..

i'm wondering, why is nokia trying so hard to prevent people from using netmonitor? i mean, what could happen if we knew what is the signal strengh and battery voltage? :rolleyes:

Maybe if this thread was moved in the developpers or a more appropriate area, we could see more opinions

don't know if we can get more information by that, but.. why not.. :)

moved to dct4 developers section.

aaa_121uk
01-04-2004, 12:31 AM
it looks like the lauguage has been changed. Im not how to change it on that phone but on 8310, u press 'menu' 4-4-1-1. I could be wrong.

Yotamz
01-04-2004, 12:42 AM
it looks like the lauguage has been changed. Im not how to change it on that phone but on 8310, u press 'menu' 4-4-1-1. I could be wrong.

what does the language have to do with this topic?

StavFX
01-04-2004, 10:27 AM
hey, sry for the n00bness, but what does netmonitor do and why do you want to use it?

Yotamz
01-04-2004, 10:36 AM
hey, sry for the n00bness, but what does netmonitor do and why do you want to use it?

netmonitor is a hidden menu in nokia phones, that uses to check parameters about the battery, network, simcard and more.

with the netmonitor you can, for example, see the exact signal strength in db, rather than in the 4 or 7 network bars.
you can also see the exact battery voltage (rather than the 4/7 battery bars).

also, netmonitor can be used to get information about the network bands, whether your network uses gsm 900 1800 or 1900, and some info about problems. like when the phone is not chraging - you can sometimes know why using netmonitor.

alsmost all of the netmonitor tests don't change anything, they are for read-only, and he ones that do change something - resets when the phone resets, and that's why i can't understand why nokia wants to hide it so hard.

if you want to know more about the netmonitor - download the netmonitor manual from the downloads section.