PDA

View Full Version : Hello to forums (at last!)

deviat0r
29-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Hello,

Although I have been a member for a while, I have only recently started posting and I thought it would be nice to introduce myself more offically!

My name is Dave and I have been using Nokia phones for years. I play with them, although not quite to the same standard or depth as the other forum members.

I have been unlocking etc; for a couple of years, but nothing too serious. I am now hoping to get the knowledge to start writing and playing with firmware and flashing. Although at the moment time is limited.

I work with computers and pretty much live & breathe them! So anything computer related, I might be able to help. I have a bit of a history with electronics, although not much experience with programming.

Well there you go, anything else I could add would be completely off topic so I'll leave it there.

Hello to everyone who I have spoken to and those who I don't know yet.

Dave!

tzeonn
29-04-2004, 12:18 PM
anything bout computers?

say, on my pc, i juz formatted my com and upgraded to xp pro. then i installed the game, half life counterstrike.

but when i get into the game, the menus are stretched bigger than the screen,so i cant see the bottom or right stuff!!! it used to work fine on tis pc wif win 98 sec ed.

i tried running dxdiag, updated drivers from nvidia site and other sites, im using Nvidia Geforce 4 440 MX 128 mb btw. everything else is perfect, but this game is bugging me.

any solutions?

farsh2002
29-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Nice to meet You deviat0r!

tzeonn, try to set max resolution on Your PC screen settings. Also ther is same option in the game, try to edit game resolution.

GoodLuck!

;) ;) ;)

tzeonn
29-04-2004, 12:49 PM
@farsh my screen is slightly bigger than 800 x 600, viewing in 800 x 600 (which is wat i do) leaves some spaces ard the edges.

i tried a smaller, higher resolution in the game, wun work at all. my video card is on 100 hz refresh rate, using 16 bit screen colors. 80 hz (or 75 hz, forgot) refresh rate wun work too. :-x

thanx for the help anyway.... :p

argh.... surfing forums and playing cs is wat i normally do on my pc, now no cs, dang... :sad:

ps. congrats farsh, on ur 1000th post and 4 stars status! :lol:

deviat0r
29-04-2004, 02:01 PM
@farsh my screen is slightly bigger than 800 x 600, viewing in 800 x 600 (which is wat i do) leaves some spaces ard the edges.

i tried a smaller, higher resolution in the game, wun work at all. my video card is on 100 hz refresh rate, using 16 bit screen colors. 80 hz (or 75 hz, forgot) refresh rate wun work too. :-x

thanx for the help anyway.... :p

argh.... surfing forums and playing cs is wat i normally do on my pc, now no cs, dang... :sad:

ps. congrats farsh, on ur 1000th post and 4 stars status! :lol:

Hello,

This isn't quite what I normally do but I will try and help.

First things first..... (I apologise if some of this is a bit patronising)
1. Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates.
2. Close any background apps that you don't need
3. Make sure your res in windows matches you res in the game
4. Make sure you have patched the game up to the latest version

I have seen a problem like this before, and it's normally down to the refresh rate. Let me explain, ya monitor holds your settings per resolution (i.e. screen size and position). So if you have set the size & position of the screen for 800x600 @ 100hz (and it looks fine) in Windoze and the game is running at 800x600 @ 85Hz, then that would explain why the screen is moving.

As a work around try either playing with the settings or run the game and Windoze at different resolutions. The latter suggestion will mean that you can set the game up correctly on one res and Windoze currently on a different res.

Certainly check the refresh rate of the game. Also look at other options in the game, like some will give you the option to use 'hardware device' or software rendering. This can make a difference.

Hope that helps, I'm not much of a gamer, so I don't often come across this sort of problems. In fact the only games I play are GTA type games, but I've completed all those with 100% and have lost interest. Roll on GTA 5!!!!

Dave!

farsh2002
29-04-2004, 05:30 PM
congrats farsh, on ur 1000th post and 4 stars status! :lol:

Thanks!

GoodLuck with Your CS! I love this game too!

:) :) :)

Ndi7650
29-04-2004, 05:39 PM
I used to get that in CS and a few other games if I used DirectX rendering. OpenGL is smooth but slow, it takes ages from when I release the key to actually stop and the mouse is lagged.

Best settings I could get is Software Rendering, 640x480 and limit the refresh rate of DX to 75 Hz (DXDiag > More help > refresh (override) > 75). It keeps DX from switching to any refresh rate over the one supported by monitor. This forced Software x 640 x 480 x 75.

BTW, how do tests look in DXDiag?

tzeonn
29-04-2004, 06:23 PM
all tested wif no probs in dxdiag.

i tried software, opengl, directx, still the same prob...

man, im at my wits' end... :sad:

deviat0r
30-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Hello,

I have noticed on the Sierra forums, there is a comment about the screen appearing in the corner, but nothing about it being stretched off the screen. The suggested answer was pretty useless.

Try ringing thier tech support.

Good luck!

Dave!

tzeonn
30-04-2004, 10:43 PM
man, i fixed it finally....

uninstalled vga card drivers and reinstalled again.

thanx for ur help peeps!

farsh2002
01-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Congrats!!!

:) :) :)