PDA

View Full Version : Nokia "Big Brother"

slikmik
15-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Just curious whats this about gprs (?) that can pinpoint your location via gsm mobile phone?

I know a mobile can be triangulated easily enough but is it true all NEW mobiles will have the feature so ALL your actions are logged?

Cheers
Mike

green gerbil
15-09-2002, 06:03 PM
In the USA they want to put GPS recievers in all phones by a certain year to "help 911". I dunno what will come of it though as I dont think more than a few expensive phones have it so far. GSM certainly already has the easiest triangulation features out of phone systems excluding maybe 3g systems. It will be even worse is when they sell the gps information they get to advertisers.

mrbig4545
15-09-2002, 06:05 PM
mike, ur 1 paronid guy

but u no i love u.

liteFun
16-09-2002, 11:53 AM
in finland (radiolinja) you can ask with sms nearest gas stations etc.. it's based on your current location measured from 3 best links your phone can receive.

Lapu-Lapu
16-09-2002, 12:41 PM
In Philippines Globe Network has the so called Globe Map and Smart has Smart Locator to locate someone by using GSM phones. Like for example you want to locate your wife...etc.

Wildheart Baby
16-09-2002, 11:16 PM
nah mike ain't paranoid, I was thinking a while back that about half the uk population or there abouts have a mobile, that means all those people can be tracked, so the government can keep an eye on the subversives

try using spook words on a mobile near something like a nuclear power station and watch how quick the police pay you a visit, happened to Mark Thomas when he did it near 'menwith hill'

I reckon they are using cctv system as well

Liam
17-09-2002, 01:41 PM
Everyone knows where you are nowadays if you have a mobile...

GPRS is going to be lame in the near future because all shops will have transmitters so you wont be able to go in a shopping mall without adverts popping up on your phone, and you wont be able to do a thing because your network will have been paid to let the shops send you the messages

spamtastic

and this thing about near a power station... spook words on what? a text message to another number? or a phone call? or what... what should I say? 'bomb deposited at target point c - alpha team returning to base' in a text message to someone OR
'mother goose this is baby duck, bomb placement sucessful, baby duck returning to nest over' then hang up or some crap like that?

please say because i want to test it :D

slikmik
17-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Oh god i so believe in that spook word stuff because anybody seen Enemy of the State? In there it has the guy saying how pc's analyse phone calls and filter out words like "bomb" and "queen" etc

Wow im SO going to try it and can't you take your network to court for preach of privacy??? ;)
just a thort

Mike

Wildheart Baby
17-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Liam

and this thing about near a power station... spook words on what? a text message to another number? or a phone call? or what... what should I say? 'bomb deposited at target point c - alpha team returning to base' in a text message to someone OR
'mother goose this is baby duck, bomb placement sucessful, baby duck returning to nest over' then hang up or some crap like that?

please say because i want to test it :D [/B]

its all communications within the uk that are being monitored, the usual spook words are bomb, assasination and the rest especially if you mention the people in power like president tony, king george, the queen and the rest

one of the weird spook words is 'Quiche' yeah the egg and ham flan type thing, theres websites about this all over the net

if you start using this stuff it may get you tagged for further investigation

try this for a list of words site (http://www.attrition.org/attrition/keywords.html) for a list of words

edited by Liam to correct a mistake in the URL

mrbig4545
19-09-2002, 04:32 PM
I sent mike a sms at school saying osama is going to get u alland bomb u. Die, 15/9/02, and nuttin happened

so i tried it again with bomb the queen and tony, soon. osama, and agen nuttin.

I no it could be considered sick, but i was bored, and mike was goin on wiv himself, so i thought y not.

Wildheart Baby
19-09-2002, 10:03 PM
but how do you know, nowts happening you might have been flagged

The guy 'Mark Thomas' was doing a tv program on uk tv, flying over menwith hill (american communications monitoring buildings) in a hot air ballon, talking about bombs and all kinds of other stuff and when he landed a police car arrived at the scene to ask him what he was doing

when the police realised who it was they knew it was just for the tv program but it showed what they can do

for yours
they probably realised it was just someone messing around, as people who they are looking out for most likely use code mixed with spook words

thanasis
20-09-2002, 03:16 PM
it's posible to track people that using mobile phones,pc.but all phones can tracked ? older phones ? or only the newest that have Gprs ?

mrbig4545
21-09-2002, 07:55 PM
@Wildheart Baby:

Good point there. It was quite dissapointing thow, as i had to go to maths, and if i had got arrested i wouldnt have, :D

And as for the tv thing, how do you know the police wern't just bothered about the fact that they were flying over a communications place?

I guess we'll never know for sure...

Wildheart Baby
21-09-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by mrbig4545
@Wildheart Baby:

And as for the tv thing, how do you know the police wern't just bothered about the fact that they were flying over a communications place?

the speed that they arrived at the scene, like they'd been called out to a fight or a murder or something,

it was within seconds of Mark landing the balloon

green gerbil
22-09-2002, 01:02 AM
things like radar also exist and upon seing an unauthorized craft over a place of importance the police are dispatched to its probable landing spot while it is still in the air. IF he had done the same thing on foot or in a car and they came then it would be a better clue as to monitoring.

Active monitoring of all communications in a country would be a stupid waste of resources. No terrorist is going to say I will bomb x at x time over their phone, instead they will use code words that fit into normal conversation. Monitoring phone calls on such massive scales is also impossible. Ever used speech recognition software? Notice how it tends to fuck up alot? Now imagine for a minute a government hiring 100,000's of people to monitor whatever phone calls (of the millions of calls each day) shitty software forwards to them to listen to, just to hear some dude say "yo, we got totally bombed at that party in times square". Pretty stupid, huh? Now monitoring text is so much easier as key words can be matched pretty easily and for next to nothing. Still there are so many messages that they would likely get a lot of false positives and no leads. The feds are not this stupid.

Instead the main problem is that they CAN monitor any phone at any time and get that handset's location with the new phone systems. Also phone companies can sell locational and other information gleaned from the phone and text messages to advertisers, violating your privacy and your ability to be left alone.

I for one would rather lie bleeding in a ditch desperately trying to dial emergency services than to have to deal with Nokia branded Bonzi Buddy interrupting me that I should go eat at restaurant x instead of y or recomending the newest junk from bigCo.

Wildheart Baby
23-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by green gerbil
Ever used speech recognition software? Notice how it tends to fuck up alot?

yes I used it a while back and yes it isn't very good but then again it is the civillian version of the software.

I saw a silicon graphics machine a couple of years ago that was at the time about 5 or 6 years old (original price £40,000) and it had the most amazing graphics even better than what was available for pc's at the time but it shows that, for stupid amounts of money a computer can be produced that has unbeliveable processing power and the same goes for software, with the right amount of money you could produce perfect speech recognition software with pattern recognition

the guy was flying a few miles away, not over the monitoring facility

and terrorists don't mention bombs and where they are going to be, they use code words

green gerbil
24-09-2002, 12:10 AM
I mentioned that they will use code words, reread my post. Sure, even if they could do software that was good enough to recognize words 100% they would realize it is an enormous waste of money that will at best net a few petty criminals. That guy had to be doing something suspicious in the air other than the phone call. After all he was doing this for tv.

Wildheart Baby
24-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by green gerbil
I mentioned that they will use code words, reread my post.

Sorry re-read and noticed this

That guy had to be doing something suspicious in the air other than the phone call. After all he was doing this for tv.

no he was just in a balloon and using a mobile, the guy is an investigative journalist and investigates stuff to make the public aware of thing that companies are doing thats illegal or unethical

I was talking to a guy and his dad works for the government in communications and he told me about monitoring

Damian
30-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Meanwhile back in the normal world.....

Yes you can be tracked......but no they dont have super voice recognition software

GPRS = general packet radio system (for slikmik)