PDA

View Full Version : gprs unlocking nokia 6800

cute
05-05-2004, 06:15 PM
hi there!

so i've bought an at&t nokia 6800, and it's on it's way here (to vancouver, canada). i'm expecting it to show up gprs and sp locked. sp unlocking can be dealt with easily i'm sure, but gprs unlocking i'm less familiar with.

i've read some posts about "gprs unlocking by code". is this possible? if so, should i just post my information in the right forum?

my understanding is that gprs unlocking can only happen by flashing the phone with a standard firmware. if that is the case, who can do this in Canada? (i remember having the website of a company that did this back east, but have lost it now. anyone with the url's (or other info) of any company, preferably in the lower mainland in BC, Canada, but otherwise anywhere in canada, would be totally appreciated.)

basically, any info on gprs unlocking my 6800 when it arrives would be appreciated.

thanks again!

Yotamz
05-05-2004, 08:04 PM
there is no such thing as gprs unlocking with code.

but don't worry about that, the only network (at least now) that locks the gprs settings is t-mobile usa. they use a custom flash in which the gprs settings cannot be changed. if your gprs settings are locked, you need to flash the phone with a standard (non-customised) firmware. this flashing can be done in any nokia service center, and shall be free as much as i know.

..anyway, this is only for information, your phone will not be gprs-locked as it is from at&t.

cute
05-05-2004, 08:44 PM
ok, neat (as far as only tmobile locking), and i thought so, as far as gprs unlocking only being possible through flashing. i'll wait until the phone arrives then.

meanwhile, how can i find a local nokia service center?

Yotamz
06-05-2004, 01:56 PM
you can find a repair center here:
http://www.nokia.ca/english/dealerdb/searchDealers.asp
they can flash the phone with no problem.

and here there are contact details to nokia canada official center (or office).
http://www.nokia.ca/english/support/contact.asp