PDA

View Full Version : ESN changin

youth
16-09-2002, 05:39 PM
I have successfully changed the esn on an 8860....

anyone wants more info email me [email protected]

ismael_mj23
19-09-2002, 06:01 AM
Why don't you post the info here so we can all do it?

Or are you going to charge for the info?

Ismael

green gerbil
20-09-2002, 12:48 AM
I emailed some questions and he didnt reply.

ismael_mj23
21-09-2002, 05:28 AM
I think this is only some bulls....

Ismael

phonedudes
22-09-2002, 08:41 AM
Probably the case.... Someone trying to look like the COOL guy.

Then again we can all say 'we can successfully change the ESN' that doesnt mean the phone successfully will process calls..

:)

youth
22-09-2002, 01:05 PM
sorry but i did not have time to check the board...
yes i did successfully change the esn on an 8860..
however the 8860 that i wrote the new esn to came to me with the esn of 0000...
i used an old 8860 i had and ripped the esn off of that with nokiasoc2 and rewrote it back to the new one.. then with wintesla i verified the serial numbers and did a user data transfer...irdb etc..
transfered everything essentially from one phone to another..

phonedudes
22-09-2002, 06:15 PM
You said this we will call it 'CopyCat 8860' came to you with an all zero ESN. Out of curiousity why didnt you just re-enter the ESN the phone originally had?

In any case so you xfered all the data tables and you said then ripped the esn (one which you had from an existing 8860) to this 'CopyCat 8860'. Assuming you basically just read the eeprom from the one and wrote it to the 'CopyCat 8860'. So essentially cloning your other 8860. Correct?

If thats all said and true ... you still didnt confirm the key factor...

Does this 'CopyCat 8860' process calls on a Activated Digital Line of Service completely independent of any other phone?

Phonedudes :) :grin: :)

youth
23-09-2002, 06:43 AM
i would have tried to reenter the original esn back onto the phone however....
i do not have or know of any software that does this except wintesla...
i do not have original dongles so i could not try it...

youth
23-09-2002, 06:47 AM
and if anyone knows of any software besides wintesla that allows u to enter an esn manually into the phone not like nokiasoc where u can only copy one to another...
please feel free to send it to me i will try to see if i get back the original esn on the phone...

also i forgot to mention

the first time i flashed the phone with the new eeprom i was unable to place or receive calls...
in the field test menu 6 i kept getting fail -3 at the bottom of the screen i dont know what that was about but i just flashed the phone a couple times and then it worked.............

ismael_mj23
23-09-2002, 02:41 PM
So basically just another warranty transfer, using warranty transfer cable.

Thats not esn changing. Thats clonning

Ismael

phonedudes
23-09-2002, 07:56 PM
Thats what it apperently seems like he had done was just clone..

If it were 2 totally different model phones that he was able to clone would of been interesting..but since they were both 8860
s most likely they even had the same Flash version in them and hence the abilitiy to get it to work.. I doubt if the mcu was different it would have worked with the method described.

@youth
Two things still curious about.... You mention any other software besides 'Wintesla' that allows you to enter ESN... Id be interested to see the version of Wintesla that 'Allows you to enter an ESN'. Because our Original SVC Center version w/dongle sure doesnt allow it.

Also you say 'when I flashed the phone' but then say 'with the new eeprom' So you actually didnt flash the phone mcu/ppm you just re-wrote the eeprom table, correct?

Phonedudes :) :grin: :)

green gerbil
23-09-2002, 11:38 PM
my version of wintesla allows you to enter the esn. The only problem is that it requires extra programming data that is supposed to be calculated at nokia.

from cdma dll (the tdma help says the same thing) help file:

ESN is a encrypted data inside EEPROM. It matches the café ID. Whenever you change café chip or EEPROM chip, In some case flash a phone may cause losing ESN data. So you need to reprogram ESN.

To reprogram ESN there are 3 steps,

1. Use Wintesla generate a MSID file

Connect the phone and press Read Button, Wintesla will fill some of the fields. Change ESN field to the number you want to program, input user name, Then Click Save File Button and pick up a file name.

2. Send this file to an authorized Nokia agent and get a ESN file

Send the file generated in step 1 to Nokia and get back a ESN file.

3. Load the ESN file and program the phone.

Press load file button then click write.