PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking 8930

Zander1313
16-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Hey I have a Nokia 8930 and I tryed may times to unlock it over the 5 time limit and nothing happened but now i tried the codes from the generator but it won't unlock!! can someone please help!

sergo_zmeia
17-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Now U need a box to unlock it..sorry..
Sergo_Zmeia

Zander1313
18-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Whats a box can you please explain how to do it. and does the phone company unlock phones for you for free?

EdgeCrusher
18-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Nokia handsets can be unlocked by two ways:
via code: you have five attempts to input the correct code.
If you enter five wrong codes, the phone restriction cannot be undone anymore via code, and therefore you need a box.

The second way, is flashing the phone, which means replacing the firmware, with a new one that has no lock encoded. In order to do that, you need a box, which is an interface between your phone and your computer; they're also called dongles. You need that interface in order to "read" the phone, and work with its operating system (the firmware).

The better known boxes are Griffin, Prodigy, and Twister. You can do a search on google and you'll find out more about them.

And no, the providers do not unlock the phone for free. If it would be the case, there would not be an unlocking section on nokiafree with so many code requests.. ;)

If you want more info, i'll be glad to help you.

Best regards
Edge

Zander1313
18-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Hey thanks! Hey i was wondering how i can get one of these boxes or dongles and how would you reprogram the firmware? Also my phone still lets me input codes into it. what does your phone do when you hit the 5 code limit?

EdgeCrusher
18-05-2004, 09:04 AM
you have to buy one of those... or if you have some skills, make a clone of the prodigy. There's a thread about cloning a prodigy in the flashing section.

They cost something like U$S250-300... you need also a specific cable to your phone, but usually the boxes come with a good amount of cables to various models.

You don't reprogam the firmware, because DCT4 firmwares are encoded... you replace the firmware, with one that is the same, but doesn´t have any lock programmed. The box also comes with all those files.

The problem, usually is, the investment. In my point of vision, unless you're, or you plan, to get into the business of fixing and unlocking phones, it makes no sense. You can have a private repair shop unlock your handset for cheap...

Best Regards
Edge

EdgeCrusher
18-05-2004, 09:07 AM
yes, your phone will still let you enter codes...

but will get you the message "cannot undo restriction" if you enter the correct code. Be careful, maybe your phone was not locked. Did you try another sim?

Edge

Zander1313
18-05-2004, 09:09 AM
how much is it at a shop? is it cheaper to just buy a new phone? I can get one for $50
Thanks alot you helped a lot!!!!

PS is this cloning of a box free and is it worth the trouble?

Oh yeah um is the phone pernamently locked when you can still input codes because i still can and i'm wondering if i'm just doing it wrong? is there a way to tell for sure if your phone is locked?

EdgeCrusher
18-05-2004, 09:17 AM
I don't know... the prices that i told you are on the internet. You may want to check out Ucables, somebody mentioned that the prodigy was not so so expensive.

The cloning, is good as an experience i guess. I want to make one, it's only that just don't have the time with university and all stuff. If it's worth the shot.. well, take in account that making one of these is basically programming microchips, making a PCB (printed circuit board.. a circuit)... involves all that stuff. I would say that it's worth a shot for the experience of doing that, if it's on your interests...

And, about buying a new phone... you can have the phone unlocked at a private repair shop for less than that. Heard that in Australia it costs something like $20 aus.

As i told you, i think that the box is only worth the investment if you want to: start repairing phones as a business, start exploring the firmware software (remember that dct4 firmwares are encoded)... or, well, you have the money to spend, and nothing better in which invest.

Best Regards, I hope it helps. Anything else, of course I'll be glad to answer you.

Edge

PS: about the locking... if the phone was locked, and you are sure about that, and you entered five times an incorrect code, the phone is locked for sure, and can be unlocked only via cable and a box. No other way.

It's a diff history if you are not sure about if the phone was or not locked. But i say it again, if u r sure that the phone was locked, and you entered the wrong code five or more times... the phone cannot be unlocked via code anymore. It has to be unlocked via cable/box.

Edge

Zander1313
18-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Hey thanks are you a programer or a hacker. If you are could you give me any tips you know thanks!! and thanks for your help. I think i'll just get a new phone.

EdgeCrusher
18-05-2004, 09:25 AM
No man... i ain't be a programmer!! all that i said to you, i know from reading the forums here. We all owe our knowledge to this forum... ;)

Cheers
Edge

Zander1313
18-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks You are the best. Also do you know where i might be able to sell this phone even though it's locked?

EdgeCrusher
18-05-2004, 09:31 AM
e-bay. Be sure to advice to which network it is locked. And, the phone will be more worthy if you unlock it at a private repair shop (one of those small shops ya know), thus the new owner can put the phone under any provider he wants. That will be really a good argument for sale.

Cheers
Edge

Zander1313
20-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Do you know what these shops might look like?

EdgeCrusher
21-05-2004, 07:09 AM
well... i don't know really, or at least, i'm not sure. They're usually small shops where they sell used phones, repair phones, etc. There has to be some place, shop, etc, that repair phones in your place, other than the phone companies. Those shops that offer the repair service, they usually will also unlock phones.

I would say, look in your local yellow pages for phone repair shops.

Contact them and tell them that you're want to unlock your phone, because you want to switch provider. Be careful, because business is business, and, knowing a little about bad people, probably they will offer buying your phone, they'll unlock it and they'll sell it for more than they bought it (yeah, basic business theory, that's how it works :lol: ).

If you really are concerned about how much you can get from that phone, look before the selling price on e-bay. Then look how do the shop charges you for unlocking it, and see if the diff really is worth the shot, or maybe is better to just sell the phone to the shop directly, and let they do their business.

Answering your questions, any shop that repairs phones, will unlock it also in a 90% chance.

Cheers
Edge