PDA

View Full Version : ### Warning For Water Damage Repairers ###

unlokia
20-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi to all!!.

Having read the water damage repair documents I thought it responsible to point out that you must be **EXTREMELY** careful as to what chemicals/proportions you use to immerse your water damaged pcbs in.

Having had 13 years experience in the electronics industry, I would whole-heartedly agree that methylated spirits/pure alcohol are surely ok to use when cleaning the pcb, but I would **WARN** you against using white spirit as this **IS NOT** the same chemical, and it has a tendancy to dissolve adhesives very well (try removing a label with methylated spirits, THEN try white spirit - you will see the difference) and as such it may soften/dissolve or loosen any bonded components, rendering your expensive handset **USELESS!!!!**.

As for lighter fluid (refined petrol) I would, again, **WARN YOU** against its use. Oil based as it is, it is quite likely that the same situation could occur - I would therefore **NOT** recommend **ANY** usage of this chemical **ANYWHERE** on a damaged mobile phone, unless you are seeking to make the handset damaged **FURTHER!!!**.

Do not immerse **ANY** pcb in the solutions recommended, for longer than is absolutely neccessary, as the longer you leave them, the more the chemical/solution will work - either **IN** your favour to remove corrosion, or otherwise continue to eat its way through various component parts of the board.

**NOT** saying that in every single case and situation, that this **WILL** happen, it's just a precautionary warning to anyone who is unsure.

Kind Regards, Matt (UNLOKIA)

jungledan@lycos
21-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Many thanks for that dude!

gogoer114
30-06-2008, 05:19 PM
excellent thread!!!