PDA

View Full Version : VB6 and 3510i

DrRob
07-07-2004, 08:15 PM
I'm trying (and banging my head against the desk whilst I try) to get Visual Basic 6 to talk to my Nokia 3510i using the MSComm control.

I have the phone connected via a USB FBUS cable, which appears as COM4 on the computer. The fact that it's USB isn't the problem (at least I think), since LogoManager, OPM2, etc. all work flawlessly with it.

The problem is this - I can't seem to consistently get any data back from the phone.

I know the phone needs putting in 'local mode', which apparently is done by sending a sequence of 128 hex '55' to the phone, which doesn't seem to help. Or at least, I'm not seeing any return on it.

I took a quick dump of the serial port whilst using OPM2, which seems to be doing something similar, so I used the same hex strings, but still nothing.

Strangely enough, whilst using the serial port monitor I can see data coming back from the mobile, but my VB program is picking up *nothing* when I check MSComm1.Input.

I think I have a number of problems here:-

* I know the COM port for FBUS is 115200, 8-O-1, but not sure what the rest of the MSComm properties should be.

* I don't know if the way I'm trying to read data back from the phone is correct in VB.

I've seen a few snippets of code from various people on here (which have been a big help so far - thanks!), but some pointers on the initial handshake with the phone would be a *huge* help.