PDA

View Full Version : Anyone flash phones with laptop?

ianb1985
07-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi,

I have just bought a laptop that doesnt have a ps2 serial port, meaning i cant update FAID etc, so i'm thinking of buying a USB to PS2 converter to solve my problems. Was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and has any advice or products they could recommend...

cheers

ian

danwood76
07-08-2004, 02:41 AM
the PS/2 is your mouse and keyboard port
RS232 is the DB9 serial port :)

But saying that I know what you mean

I think you can get drivers that emulate the USB port as a serial port
I have no Idea what they are called unfortunatly

regards,
Danny

andy_mitchelluk
07-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Do a search in google for USB to Serial. My mate has one as some new PC's no longer have serial or parallel (however it's spelt!) ports on them. It emulates a COM port with no problems and he can flash with no probs. Have a browse on eBay, could get one cheaper!

Just as long as you don't try flashing in DOS as most of the adaptors aren't supported by DO as it don't know what the hell USB is!

NokDoc
07-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi,

My laptop has no com port, but this usb > com convertor works ok for me.

(label say it is a 'usb232')

However do note it's about the datacable, flashing is still done by lpt cable/ port.

NokDoc

ianb1985
07-08-2004, 07:24 PM
the PS/2 is your mouse and keyboard port
RS232 is the DB9 serial port :)

doh! sorry about that. dunno how i made that mistake!! :-o

Well thanks for the quick replies guys, think im gonna go ahead and get a 'logic 3' one for £13 from gameplay, then i can try and get madOS working on that old 6210... :rolleyes:

andy_mitchelluk
08-08-2004, 02:01 AM
oops, shoot me. i completely forgot about flashing on serial, i meant unlocking!!! duh! anyone know if usb ? parellel convertors work ok? as i'm thinking of getting a laptop soon. Thanks, andy.

mestrini
08-08-2004, 02:13 AM
I have one usb-rs232 converter and manage to do all i need and even using win2k :D

What made me mad was having to spend over 50€ in such a device when the advertisement said the laptop had a COM port :evil:

But be aware that some progs won't work 100%. ex: Rolis flasher MBUS features won't recognize phone when using simple MBUS cables. When i use my Universal Box (with 9v plugged in) all goes well. Sometimes changing OS (to win98) solves the problem, but that's something you'll have to test yourself :-P

cheers and good luck

Zandis
25-08-2004, 06:36 AM
All ur problems can b solved by PCMCIA cards, mates. :)

Alinus
25-08-2004, 07:44 AM
usb to serial convertor works ok.

but now there are special flashers that work on usb only...flashing unlocking faid update all on usb