PDA

View Full Version : Plug and play problem with PC

tzeonn
07-08-2004, 03:14 PM
hi all

i had a problem with my usb ports.

im using a ngage, which can connect to pc using a usb cable. i used to have absolutely no probs, until one fine day, it wun work when i plug it in, the pc wun detect my ngage.

only if i leave my ngage plugged in, and restart pc, will it then detect my ngage. :sad: this is also the case for the irda dongle that connects via usb port too. (and any other usb devices i got)

i wonder wats wrong with my pc, anyone can help me? i tried reinstalling windows, no luck :sad:

paradis_22
18-08-2004, 10:05 AM
what version of windows you have, and if you plz tell me your mainboard model, and the problem occur after what?

paradis_22
24-08-2004, 04:27 AM
would you plz answer this question?

did add a PCI card, and then the problem occur

tzeonn
24-08-2004, 11:21 AM
actually, i solved the problem sometime back.

i figured it was either the os settings, or bios. nothing with os settings, so i went to bios, plug and play was enabled alright, but 1 thing was wrong.

it was the usb speed, it was set to max speed, which is only for usb 2.0 ports, which i dun have.

rename to hi speed (for usb 1.1) and it works perfect again ;-)

paradis_22
25-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Would you plz more specific how you fix the problem, my cousin had nearly the same problem with USB (it was with a scanner) and it was from a PCI card (Motorola modem) when replace the modem with another one (also Motorola) the problem fixed, if you mean the plug and play aware O/S sitting or you mean USB legacy support sitting, they have nothing with your problem, and about the speed there are about 4 or 6 USB ports almost in each new main boards two of them are 1.1 and the others are 2.0 and they are VIA chip so if you change the speed it doesn't change a thing unless you change the location of the device (not all models), I know that if you connect a slow USB device to a 2.0 USB port it'll work perfectly (correct me if I'm wrong), any way if you can tell us more to make us aware about this problem so we can fix it if it happened with us, and if you plz tell me your main board model.

tzeonn
25-08-2004, 02:58 PM
nothing to do with mainboard i believe, but its intel 865 (i tink)

like i said, usb probs, either caused by the os settings, look ard control panal for that, or bios.

not every pc comes with usb 2.0 or mixed with usb 1.1. mine has all 1.1 :(

i dun understand y the problem happened, since my usb ports worked for months perfectly, until that fine day, but a change in settings of speed from max to hi speed (for usb 1.1) seems to solve my problem.