PDA

View Full Version : SW assemby

Python
28-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Call me mad, call me maniac: I made up my mind to code new software for my NHM-5. :rolleyes:

But I don't know anything about phone HW, GSM specifications, etc.

Please give me some RTFM to get going. :D

Python
28-09-2002, 06:11 PM
I want a fully new SW.
Yes, I know I can totally f!ck up my SIM card and annoy my GSM service provider, but what the Hell. 8)

GeeZuZz
28-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Good luck... I don't think you gonna make it though!

It would be very cool if someone who have made the Nokia OS, quit the job in Nokia, and give the sourcecode away, so we could make our own OS.

Windows ME (Mobile Edition!)

mrbig4545
28-09-2002, 11:01 PM
this would be cool, i no i am writing an os for the x86 cpu(pc to u non techie ppl), but that was sh!t hard, and its no where near finished yet, so i don't even know how u wud go about making one for the fone.

I guess u need to no the cpu type and the asm syntax of that fone as well as all the io ports and the way gsm works, etc etc.

Anyone have any links?

P.S. on the windows ME note, i dont want a blue screen of death on my fone, lol

:grin:

KodeX
29-09-2002, 01:22 PM
ARM Instruction Set... you may get it here (http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~jringenb/power/pdfs/ARM_doc.pdf) .

Python
29-09-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by mrbig4545
this would be cool, i no i am writing an os for the x86 cpu(pc to u non techie ppl), but that was sh!t hard, and its no where near finished yet, so i don't even know how u wud go about making one for the fone.

I guess u need to no the cpu type and the asm syntax of that fone as well as all the io ports and the way gsm works, etc etc.

Anyone have any links?

P.S. on the windows ME note, i dont want a blue screen of death on my fone, lol

:grin:

The PC arch is much more complex. :)

Python
29-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by KodeX
ARM Instruction Set... you may get it here (http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~jringenb/power/pdfs/ARM_doc.pdf) .

Bless you.

mrbig4545
29-09-2002, 07:49 PM
@KodeX: Thank you

@ Python: It is quite complex, but there are lots of sources and information around, so it is easir to get help when needed.

I mite have a go at writing an nokia os, anyone nkow where i can get a compiler, and what format the exuctiable has to be in, etc.

Cheers,

Mark

liteFun
01-10-2002, 05:24 PM
i hope you can do it.
after that there would be new project: nokia construction kit.
object oriented flash-programming for making own cool firmware..

Python
01-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by liteFun
i hope you can do it.
after that there would be new project: nokia construction kit.
object oriented flash-programming for making own cool firmware..

My idea was to develop a modular OS for the phone that sits in the start of the EEPROM and uses the rest to store programs/applications and a compiler for it, release documentation how to code for it, write the essential apps that support the functions other phones do, then lay back and watch the community do what they want.

welshwizard
02-10-2002, 12:37 AM
that would be sooo cool!

I was just about 2 say "microsoft windows mobile" but we want the phones 2 work!!! lol

good idea, hope u do it!

Python
06-10-2002, 05:04 PM
I was just about 2 say "microsoft windows mobile" but we want the phones 2 work!!! lol

They worked on the code for GPRS for 2 months so far. :roll: