PDA

View Full Version : DCT 4 and WAP browser - what image formats are supported..??

Thanh
18-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Hello :)

I post this here because i have no idea where else i should put it.......

I am at this moment in the process of upgrading my little private WAP site at tagtag, because i found out how to put colour images there. As a platform to "preview" the site i use my own Panasonic X66 and my boyfriend's Nokia 7250.

The black/white part of the site (wbmp images only, resolution no bigger than 84x X to comply with Nokia's screens) works perfect on both devices.

However, the colour part works perfect on the Panasonic, yet the Nokia refuses flatly to show any image! That is both when i use .gif and .jpg files.

In both versions (jpg and gif) the files are not bigger than 4 kb (most around 3.5 kb) and the resolution is, again, 84x X. Regardless of site settings (4.000 bytes or 10.000 bytes), the Nokia won't display the pic's but it DOES load quite a while! (The Panasonic loads a few seconds.... the Nokia almost a minute!) Both phones use GPRS with the same network (AIS Thailand).

Now, does anyone here know (developers?) what image format is supported by Nokia's WAP browser in the DCT-4 phones, particular serie 40? And what is the max. file size / picture resolution? I know the screen is 128x128 but what does the WAP browser support?

BTW when i go on some WAP site like the t-online sports portal in german, i can view small colour pictures, but i can't save those... so can't find out what format they are.

If you want, please have a look at my site.... http://tagtag.com/aod-thanh and use the link "Colour / Farbe" which leads to the colour screen version. There should be a cloured logo right on top. Please, let me know here if on your phone this works, and what phone that is.

As i said, on mine Panasonic it works.... on a Nokia 7250 doesn't.

Kindest regards.....

your Thanh

Thanh
18-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Hello again...

Don't bother with that address anymore, i have given up. I just spent another four hours or so, sitting in front of the browser showing "waiting for tagtag.com" and crashing their java-editor a zillion times, creating micro-gif images below 1 kb and still, the stubborn Nokia refuses to show any pics.

Now i kicked off the whole "colour" part and will keep the site in b/w as it used to be.

If someone knows of a free WAP-host with an online-sitebuilder (i have absolutely zero WML knowledge) and a file upload of a little faster than 2 kilobytes/hour, please inform me........

Kindest regards....

Thanh