PDA

View Full Version : I have a Nokia 5110, now what?

G180
29-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Hello everyone, :-)

I'm new here and i'm sorry if i'm posting in the wrong forum but I have a Nokia 5110 that my cousin gave me. Now the problem is that I know nothing about phone, cables and stuff... what I know is that I'm a college student and I'm broke lol and well I was wondering if I could use the phone that I have to make or maybe receive calls...

As I said, i received this phone from my cousin... the specs of this phone are the following:

Nokia 5110 Like this one (http://www.gsm.pdi.net/telefony/n5110_2.jpg)
and that's it... that is all I can think of... oh yes.. when I dial a number a machine answers and says: "thank you for calling cingular wireless bla bla bla"
and the screen says "ROAM" and it has 4 bars in the battery and 3 in the little antena...

from there I dont know nothing else... i believe someone was using it before for free using a hot number or something like that, but i'm not really sure...

so I came here with the experts to see if this phone can be used or I just might as well throw it away...

thank you everyone for reading this, i hope someone can help me.

laterz

browntoa
29-09-2004, 09:16 PM
you can use it with a sim card from any us network that use 900Mhz only as it is a single band phone

Originally, the US used only 1900 MHz for its GSM cell phone service. In the last year or so, there has been a growing amount of GSM service on the 850 MHz band. This type of service will usually be seen in rural areas, because the 850 MHz band has better range than the 1900 MHz band. It can sometimes also found in city areas, particularly if the cell phone company has spare frequencies unused in the 850 MHz band, but no remaining frequencies to use in the 1900 MHz band.

Most of the 850 MHz service belongs to AT&T, and some to Cingular (these two companies are in the process of merging). Although T-Mobile does not (as of July 04) have any of its own 850 MHz service, because it has roaming agreements with both AT&T and Cingular, even a T-mobile user might sometimes find themselves in an area where the only signal available is on 850 MHz

are you sure of the phone model, does not sound like a usa phone

G180
30-09-2004, 02:14 AM
you can use it with a sim card from any us network that use 900Mhz only as it is a single band phone

Originally, the US used only 1900 MHz for its GSM cell phone service. In the last year or so, there has been a growing amount of GSM service on the 850 MHz band. This type of service will usually be seen in rural areas, because the 850 MHz band has better range than the 1900 MHz band. It can sometimes also found in city areas, particularly if the cell phone company has spare frequencies unused in the 850 MHz band, but no remaining frequencies to use in the 1900 MHz band.

Most of the 850 MHz service belongs to AT&T, and some to Cingular (these two companies are in the process of merging). Although T-Mobile does not (as of July 04) have any of its own 850 MHz service, because it has roaming agreements with both AT&T and Cingular, even a T-mobile user might sometimes find themselves in an area where the only signal available is on 850 MHz

are you sure of the phone model, does not sound like a usa phone

Ok, you totally lost me there... i'm sorry for the ignorance but I couldnt understand nothing of the 850mhz, 1900mhz stuff... as I said, i'm totally new to this stuff...

So do you think I can use it to make phone calls or receive calls at all? I would like to know that...

and what do you mean by model? I'm pretty sure is a Nokia 5110, i mean even Nokia's website (http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,123,00.html) still shows it and stuff...

well thanks for your help and please let me know if this phone can be used if possible...

regards and thanks for the feedback (that sadly I couldnt understand)

G180
30-09-2004, 03:38 AM
oh by the way, if i'm able to use this phone what do i need, or how do I make it work? thanks again...

Musicb0ffin
30-09-2004, 10:37 AM
You'll need an active sim card in the fone to make it work, and thats about it. pay as you go cards are about £10 here in the UK, which isn't gonna break the bank. But, unless you are using the provider the fone was orignally on, it may be locked, so unless you wanna mess about spending money unlocking an obselete phone, it might be easier to just go to your local high street shop and buy a new handset and sim deal as the crappest of handsets are gonna be miles better than a 5110.

G180
30-09-2004, 07:14 PM
You'll need an active sim card in the fone to make it work, and thats about it.

What is a sim card and how do I know if my phone as it or not....

pay as you go cards are about £10 here in the UK, which isn't gonna break the bank.

not much i can do about this since i'm totally broke and by that I mean totally! and well I live in the united states....

But, unless you are using the provider the fone was orignally on, it may be locked, so unless you wanna mess about spending money unlocking an obselete phone, it might be easier to just go to your local high street shop and buy a new handset and sim deal as the crappest of handsets are gonna be miles better than a 5110.

What does this mean Musicboffin? you see what i'm trying to do is to insert some type of code into my cell phone to make it work so I could use it to make or receive phone calls...

is that possible? if yes how can I accomplish this?

browntoa
30-09-2004, 07:41 PM
I would just take the phone with you to a cell phone shop and show it to them, explain you don't want a new phone as you have no money but want to get it working and how much for a sim card (not a contract) that will work in that phone.

the phone may need unlocking to use that sim card, drop me a private message and I'll guide you through it

G180
30-09-2004, 07:43 PM
I would just take the phone with you to a cell phone shop and show it to them, explain you don't want a new phone as you have no money but want to get it working and how much for a sim card (not a contract) that will work in that phone.

the phone may need unlocking to use that sim card, drop me a private message and I'll guide you through it

Again, how do I know if my phone has a sim card or not? maybe it does, why do I need to buy another one...

browntoa
30-09-2004, 08:16 PM
if you take the battery out and look underneath you will see the sim card but from you first post I would say that it has already got one from Cingular in it, see if you can ring their customer service from the phone....and ask how much to reconnect it

:grin:

prayerfire
30-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Hello everyone, :-)

I'm new here and i'm sorry if i'm posting in the wrong forum but I have a Nokia 5110 that my cousin gave me. Now the problem is that I know nothing about phone, cables and stuff... what I know is that I'm a college student and I'm broke lol and well I was wondering if I could use the phone that I have to make or maybe receive calls...

As I said, i received this phone from my cousin... the specs of this phone are the following:

Nokia 5110 Like this one (http://www.gsm.pdi.net/telefony/n5110_2.jpg)
and that's it... that is all I can think of... oh yes.. when I dial a number a machine answers and says: "thank you for calling cingular wireless bla bla bla"
and the screen says "ROAM" and it has 4 bars in the battery and 3 in the little antena...

from there I dont know nothing else... i believe someone was using it before for free using a hot number or something like that, but i'm not really sure...

so I came here with the experts to see if this phone can be used or I just might as well throw it away...

thank you everyone for reading this, i hope someone can help me.

laterz

Hi,
You will be abile to get some information on the Nokia 5110 from www.nokia.co.uk although I have just given it a buzz and the user manual download does not seem to be working for the 5110 at the moment. You can get Nokia contact details from there though. The user manual has most of the info you will need about installing sim cards and using the phone.

G180
30-09-2004, 09:08 PM
if you take the battery out and look underneath you will see the sim card but from you first post I would say that it has already got one from Cingular in it, see if you can ring their customer service from the phone....and ask how much to reconnect it

:grin:

thanks for the instructions and yes... it does have a sim card.... calling them wouldnt be of much help as I have said before i'm tottaly broke ... so that's it, there is now way I can get clone numbers or hot numbers to make this phone work?

Musicb0ffin
30-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Sim cards cost shit loads in the US cuz the providers haven't worked out that they can subsidise the price of cards and raise call costs. When i looked at getting a US sim in August, it worked out at about $75 just to get a regular PAYG sim!! Even tho your fone has a sim, if it hasn't been used for a while, its probably no good anymore, and you'll need a new one. Try turning the fone on, and if it works, it works, and if not, you'll need a new sim. If you can't afford one, nick one, and if you can't nick one, it looks like no fone for you.

G180
30-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Try turning the fone on, and if it works, it works, and if not, you'll need a new sim. If you can't afford one, nick one, and if you can't nick one, it looks like no fone for you.

It turns on, so I guess that is good.... the second thing about "nick one" dont know what you mean or what should i do... can you please elaborate on that alittle...

Musicb0ffin
01-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Nick - To steal, to aquire through illegitimate purposes, borrow without return. I hope that explains all...

G180
01-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Nick - To steal, to aquire through illegitimate purposes, borrow without return. I hope that explains all...

oh ok, so how can I "nick" my cell phone?

Musicb0ffin
01-10-2004, 03:56 PM
I was talking about a sim card if you didn't have one. I think the best idea is to goto your local phone shop and talk to them.

G180
01-10-2004, 04:35 PM
I was talking about a sim card if you didn't have one. I think the best idea is to goto your local phone shop and talk to them.

It would be useless because I dont have a penny to spend :( however, I would like to nick my phone... how would i go about doing that? does anyone knows?

Musicb0ffin
01-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I don't think you quite understand mate. Nick means steal, and you can't steal from yourself.

NokDoc
01-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi,

>> and well I was wondering if I could use the phone that I have to make or maybe receive calls...

Overthink to insert a Sim, or stop living with this illusion phones can work as usual without them.

It makes Ur question looks like how fast a car can drive without an engine.

NokDoc

G180
03-10-2004, 07:54 PM

oh i see..... as i said before i apoligize for my ignorance.... but anyways, how do i know if I have a sim card or not? how do I know that?

NokDoc
03-10-2004, 10:36 PM
...if you take the battery out and look underneath you will see the sim card...

...and yes... it does have a sim card...

...but anyways, how do i know if I have a sim card or not?...

Hi,

How U think we ought to know?

NokDoc

G180
04-10-2004, 01:43 PM
ok, i do have it, now how can I nick the phone?

Musicb0ffin
04-10-2004, 07:30 PM
ffs mate... quit spamming the thread and read the answers ppl give you!! We've already answered all of these questions.

G180
04-10-2004, 07:54 PM
ok, i'm sorry but i'm not really trying to spam or anything like that... i just need some answers... and things arent just clear for me... i went and read the whole thread again.... and well i know I have a sim card... i know i dont have a penny to put money on it.... and I'm wondering what else can I do to make my phone work without having to invest in it.. someone said to "nick" my phone... is that like cloning a number or something? if yes, then how do I go about nicking my phone to make it work...

hope someone can help me,

thanks

Aponizuma
16-12-2004, 03:19 AM
are you for real ??? this is as clear as it gets - you want everything for free - well my friend that simply ain't gonna happen. find a free phone book and look up that Cingular's offices and start walking (since you have nothing at all). stop thinking about 'nicking' or anything that you don't understand. even if your phone works - how could you pay the bills? and if you were thinking about 'cloning' numbers and getting free calls - stop! because you'll need more money to get the equipment needed to make those possible. since you can use a computer to post here, why don't you try going to ebay and sell that antique phone of yours - maybe you'll get lucky and some collector will buy it from you. regards.

G180
16-12-2004, 04:17 PM
are you for real ??? this is as clear as it gets - you want everything for free - well my friend that simply ain't gonna happen. find a free phone book and look up that Cingular's offices and start walking (since you have nothing at all). stop thinking about 'nicking' or anything that you don't understand. even if your phone works - how could you pay the bills? and if you were thinking about 'cloning' numbers and getting free calls - stop! because you'll need more money to get the equipment needed to make those possible. since you can use a computer to post here, why don't you try going to ebay and sell that antique phone of yours - maybe you'll get lucky and some collector will buy it from you. regards.
http://www.warphead.com/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album02/drink_your_bleach.jpg