PDA

View Full Version : 5190

molliehsimpson
02-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Will someone tell me if you can use a cabel made for a Nokia 6110 be used on a 5190 to unlock it ?? Is a nokia used with Pacific bell , but a 5190 is normally used for T-Mobile. I am very new at this, so please I will accept any assistance you have to offer. Mollie

phonedudes
03-10-2002, 08:19 AM
First of all a 5190 is a DCT3 so you should post all future threads in the 51xx section.

Secondly... Assume you dont already have the 6110 cable and thats the reason your asking...

Wherever you plan on getting it, it will probably say 51xx,61xx cable.. I think all 51/61 cables are auto switching M/F bus...
If by some chance theres some generic version out there buy it from somewhere else that sells the auto switching ones because theres no reason to NOT have a M/F bus cable for a 51/61.. That should not cost you anymore than $25 US dollars.

Once you have that and some software your all set..

Phonedudes

molliehsimpson
03-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Thank you so very much for your reply, as you can already tell I am very very new at this. I thought I read somewhere in the forum that the 5190 was a DCT4. Yes I do have the cabel, bought it off EBay and was told it was for a 5190 but the cabel itself shows to be for Nokia 6110 f/m bus.. I knw I am asking alot but what or should I say which software do I need.. I know I sound dumb , but the only dumb question is the question never asked. I work at T-Mobile in the USA which used to be Voicestream.. I can trouble shoot a phone when the service is not working but know nothing about unlocking one...
Mollie

molliehsimpson
03-10-2002, 10:04 AM
I have to say THANK YOU (forgive the caps, not yelling, just jumping for joy.. Between you telling me the 5190 is a DCT3 , and another suggestion I found amoung the older posts, II was able to use the cable I have and unlock this phone for my niece.... Thank you very very much.. I am new at this but I have to say that your guys and gals are the greatest...................
Mollie :lol:

phonedudes
03-10-2002, 10:34 AM
I am glad you figured it out...
Dont worry about being a 'newbie' us diehards all started there once too... The only time we get frustrated with newbies is when they dont take any initiative and ask ask ask but never try try try... So im glad a little sense in the correct direction led you to sourcing some software and just going for it... GOOD JOB

Out of curiousity didnt you say the 5190 was originally with T-mobile?? And so you were unlocking it for Cingular(p-bell)
Even if you didnt work for them T-mobile will give customers the subsidy lock code on a one by one basis...

PHONEDUDES

molliehsimpson
03-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Yes , where I live there was Powertel first then became Voicestream and now T-Mobile.. I got the phone off EBay for 10 bucks and thought because it was a 5190 that it would work with T-Mobile... Wrong, it was a Pac Bell / Cingular phone.. I told my niece she could have it cause she lost her phone.. Then couldn't get it unlocked.. I work at T-Mobile as a call center rep and they are nice to customers but not so nice to employees... I probably could have gotten it but would have taken alot longer than doing it this way... 8 to 10 days...
I am just proud that I was able to get it done.. I love to learn, always have ....
Mollie:grin:

phonedudes
04-10-2002, 12:12 AM
Its nice :( to know T-mobile is like the other carriers in giving there employees hard times about their equipment.

Well, of course you did do it the best way... Learn, Try, Succeed!!!

Another question, is do you know what version flash the phone has?? Just because if its new enough she should be able to download/upload 1 personal ring tone. If not, maybe you can try another project and thats to flash the phone..

Phonedudes :) :grin: :)

molliehsimpson
04-10-2002, 07:17 AM
I used to think that T-Mobile was a good place to work until a little while back.. They started a ISL line, (Information Support Line) to help the new people who come to work, I applied and was accepted , now because the people who should know by now are still calling ISL they are disbanning the group and we are being demoted from CCR3 to CCR1 and they are taking our increase in pay away.. So I pretty much have a low opinion right now... Now I have no idea what version flash the phone has, how do I find out.. What will it do to the phone ??
Just call me curious........................
Mollie

phonedudes
04-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Well, didnt mean to remind ya about work when your home playing...

The easiest way to find out the flash version is with a sim card in the phone (older versions will not show version w/o sim) and enter *#5190#. It will pop up with something like v5.81, v6.11 or v6.71, the date (of flash) and NSB-1 (type of phone ie...5190)

Its not going to DO anything to the phone other than display that information... It gives a generally idea of the phones capabilities( ie... if it has t9 dictionary for text input, if it has a personal ring tone, if it accepts more than 10characters for an operator tag, and other maybe trivial things depending on your interest.

What type of phone do you use??

P.S. Sounds like your kind of behind the scenes (not on the retail end) but out of curiousity have you heard about any new model phones you might be getting soon?

molliehsimpson
05-10-2002, 05:47 AM
That's ok , I can forget work just as easy... I didn't know if when you flash them you can do more or what..
I used a Nokia 3390until one day I killed it, dropped it in water and now it is good for a paperweight.. I have a Nokia 8890 that I use most of the time, has the best reception of all the phones I have used.. Got it from a friend that used to be a dealer.... I am behind the scenes, I talk to people concerning their bills, their phones , generally troubleshoot for customers.. And I swear some people just don't need cell phones..
Haven't heard of any new ones lately... But I have to say that my prefernece is a Nokia...
Mollie:D

phonedudes
05-10-2002, 11:54 AM
Yes, flashing them gives you the ability to loads of things...

The flash file is everything basically your phone knows.. One of the 'in things' to totally customize your phone is modifying the flash file..
You can change the actual text thats displayed, the font it uses, the built in ringtones, built in graphic icons etc...
So if you really want to go crazy and set your phones apart thats the thing to do..
As far as what we had asked was just to pull up the flash version in the phone now to get an idea of what functions your phone has.

Being a repair center we've seen it all and one thing that definitely changed is Nokia's swimming ability. The 51xx,61xx had about a 90%+ success rate of working after getting wet.. The 82xx,88xx series about 65%.. The 33xx series like 10%!

The 8890 definitely was the COOLEST phone in its day & one of our fav's as well. But the new data capable phones are just amazing..

Anyway.. it was rumored that T-mobile was to get the 7210 at the end of October, thats why we asked.

molliehsimpson
06-10-2002, 05:47 AM
Now I haven't seen or heard about the 7210 but I will keep my eyes and ears open and let you know if I hear anything... the las tnew one we got from Nokia was the 92xx series that flpped open and you had a screen and small keyboard.. At least that is what it looks like to me... I love my little 8890, I got it for 50 bucks from a friend and have people ask me daily when I am going to sell or give it to them.... And as long as I am working there I will keep it....
Mollie
That is unless I am offered the right price for it..........................:-D