PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot OS

Shidoshi
03-10-2002, 03:36 AM
Hmm...

Well, here I am with a little question...

How do I install 2 Operating Systems on my PC and be able to select which I want to boot into? Say for example MS Windows 98 SE and MS Windows XP.

In the XP Setup, I noticed something about Dual Boot Support, but I just kept pressing ok, nect, etc, like I usually do when installing something so I didn't exactly read it :) Foolish me.

I noticed that there was a refference to microsoft.com explaining it, but I didn't write it down :P

I think that XP does that Boot thing automatically, but you need to install the other OS beforehand. Do you need to install the OS on a seperate partition each or can they be on the same partition? I have a vague idea that each needs to be on a seperate partition, however I only ever tried with both OS on the same partition, and resulted with XP installed over 98 SE (Single OS) :)

When I used to install 3.11 and 95, I would manually make the Boot Menu through autoexec.bat and config.sys files, both would be on the same partition. I wouldn't have the slightest clue anymore :)

I would appreciate any further information on this topic.

Thanks,
-Dave

Manipulator
03-10-2002, 03:46 AM
have you ever hear a software call virtual PC.after you install the program than you can install more than one OS.and you can use two OS or more in the same time no like other.mean you can use win98 for nokiatool, while winxp for........ in the same time without need to reboot to change OS. look for virtual PC.

Shidoshi
03-10-2002, 04:44 AM
Hmm...

I've heard something about that.
I can picture my RAM being sucked up big time... Having Windows loaded into RAM once is already a waste of RAM... loaded twice, dispenses comment.

-Dave

Manipulator
03-10-2002, 04:54 AM
haha,than you have to build out your own pentiun6

Bossworld
06-10-2002, 11:27 AM
partition your harddrive into two

install win me on the c:\ drive, and then run XP setup from Me. Choose advanced and install it to the other partition

It will automatically make a boot menu for you :)

Shidoshi
06-10-2002, 10:42 PM
Hmm...

Yeah, other partition required, do'h!
Ahh well, wiping both OS again.
Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for all your help people, I guess I have it now ;)

Thanks,
-Dave

sagarka
07-10-2002, 04:03 AM
u can also edit yours boot menu in boot.ini
u can get boot.ini in the root of yours 1st partition and it will hidden file in this file u can set yours boot menu and also u can change yours os name and u can change the hold on time which bydefult 30 sec
and also u can change the which os should be the automatically boot if u will not intrupt...............................................

Kilrah
11-10-2002, 10:10 AM
And you also can use bootmagic, but you also will need 2 partitions. Use PartitionMagic to arrange your HD so you can redo the partitions without erasing any data... VERY useful program..

Kilrah

btw: you can find the latest version at : URL http://64.225.89.92/kero/some_good_programs_for_evaluation/x/fo-pm8.zip
full version w/ serial, 30 mb, should also include bootmagic but not 100%sure

Shidoshi
13-10-2002, 12:20 PM
Hmm...

I'd like to thank you all for all your support.
I've opted for multi-partitioning.
Thanks a lot guys :)

Cheers,
-Dave

Corgan
16-04-2003, 04:01 PM
That's how i did it?

Let me explain. I accidentally installed two OS systems, NT and XP and could not remove either of them.

I thought that if i didn't register the XP within the 30 days it would un-install, but no.

My only option was to then install XP again, thinking that i could somehow uninstall the first XP and the second. I could not.

One last shot saw me install XP a further time, in a vain attempt to correct things.

At the end of the day i ended up with 4 OS (1 NT and 3 XP's) and i decided to wipe the hard drive and start again.

And the moral to this tale... Microsoft sucks and i should leave well enough alone.