PDA

View Full Version : Glossary

Larry
05-10-2002, 01:29 PM
I was thinking about starting a Glossary.. but then I realised one person alone can't possibly know everything (Well.. maybe, but it isn't me) So I thought maybe we could make a thread into a glossary with everyone contributing something.. or correcting others entries..
This will help everyone in the long-term.. newbies, people researching stuff, and even vetarans who just need to brush up!

So here's my input:

EEPROM - (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-only Memory)
This is the part of the memory that stores various values, like security code, IMEI, high scores, etc.

PPM - (Post Programmable Memory)
This contains things like languages, graphics, ringtones, etc.

MCU - (Micro Control Unit)
This is basically the operating system of your phone..

FAID - (Flash Authority ID)
This is basically a security stamp, whenever you update your phone you will need to recalculate and update FAID before your phone will work with any network. This is designed to prevent unauthroised updating of phone software.

IMEI - (International Mobile Equipment Identifier)
This is the number you will find somewhere on the black sticker with the barcode underneath your battery. This is an identifier unique to your phone. If a phone is stolen/lost and the network blacklists it, this is the number used to do it.
Therefore, changing this number will by-pass this blacklist by making the unit appear to be another.

MSID - (Mobile Subscriber Identifier)
I know part of this number is used to calcuate FAID but I'm not sure of it's other functions.