PDA

View Full Version : W98 scandisk terror

NokDoc
02-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi,

Windows = Dumb = Blue Screen = Reboot.

Everyone knows these situation happen once in a while when using windows.

Bill G. still refuses that it's was windows bug and keep telling me it was my fault the pc crashed and I had to use the normal logoff function when my pc crashed.

Anyway, I not wanna argue with Bill bout that issue, since I still owe him some money I guess.

I wanna discuss about this scandisk tool that comes up after my next reboot.

Here's the base of my problem, my keyboard is such an usb type.

Halway scandisking, and if it finds bugs, and it wants me to say I wanna fix lost clusters, delete, or whatever.

But my usb ports and my keyboard only gets activated after scandisk is done normally.

So I gotto go plugin a psx type keyboard every time this happens.

Normally no problem to do once or twice a week, only lately scandisk start keep coming up every reboot.

Even when I closed off my pc like Bill expects me to.

Besides, my scandisw keep doing restart in windows and will never get far.

The dos version will take me many hours to scan all this gigabytes without using some sort of smartdrive stuff which I used in the old dos time.

And my norton version I can't use, since it will destruct my windows drive accessibility.

I solved this temporarily by deleting the scandisk.exe & scandisw.exe files.

But, hopefully one of U readers have some better ideas as the one I came up by myself?

Thanks

NokDoc

Hyperelectron
17-11-2004, 03:37 AM
Here's the base of my problem, my keyboard is such an usb type.

Halway scandisking, and if it finds bugs, and it wants me to say I wanna fix lost clusters, delete, or whatever.

But my usb ports and my keyboard only gets activated after scandisk is done normally.

So I gotto go plugin a psx type keyboard every time this happens.

Normally no problem to do once or twice a week, only lately scandisk start keep coming up every reboot.

For your USB keyboard or mouse to work with MS-DOS-based utilities and non-Windows modes you need to enable USB Legacy Support

1 Enter the BIOS (before Windows starts usually del or F1).

2 After you enter the BIOS, look for the USB Legacy Support setting and Enable it.

3 Save the settings and exit the BIOS.

NokDoc
18-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I gone in bios and saw 2 usb related items, one for usb controller, and one for this usb legacy.

Both already were enabled, no much difference here.

I think I better go format and try reinstalling all, since this is not just the only problem bugging me here.

But still thanks for at least some clue...

NokDoc

Hyperelectron
18-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi,

I gone in bios and saw 2 usb related items, one for usb controller, and one for this usb legacy.

Both already were enabled, no much difference here.

I think I better go format and try reinstalling all, since this is not just the only problem bugging me here.

But still thanks for at least some clue...

NokDoc
Yeah thats probably the best idea, can you use your usb keyboard in the bios (with usb legacy enabled you should be able to).