PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Mobile Voice format

The Wiep
08-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi,

I just downloaded some more voices from the tomtom website for my TTM, normally you can use the files from TomTom GO but I read somewhere that Series60 don't support 22KHZ files and TT GO does.
Series60 only support 16KHZ.
Now, I was thinking of converting them but the voicefile is a .chk and I wasn't able to find any prog capable of opening it..

is there anyone that knows a bit more about this fileformat tomtom uses and how to convert it to 16KHZ (if possible...)

thanks in advance

The Wiep
08-11-2004, 08:15 PM
while cruising the web I discovered that the file is an .ogg file
I tried to decode it to wav (successfull) then I tried to encode it to ogg with downsampling it from 22khz to 16khz (successfull)
When I put the file in my TomTom map, TT sees it but when I go in languages and click on test with the newly added language I hear nothing and the app hangs
I also get the nice message that it is out of memory (btw I have a 7610)
hmmm, did something wrong with the encoding I guess
the cool thing is that you can listen to all the commands with winamp :)

will try some more
all info is welcome

The Wiep
08-11-2004, 09:00 PM
well, I don't think it will resolve the 'lag' as it is the same sort of file
as you listen to the file, you hear every instruction spoken after the other
so tt knows where to find the specific instruction in 1 file
my guess is that that big amount of poi's cause the tt main app to lose it and so causing the voice to stutter as instructions from the main app, while locating the instructions, go wild

pffff, re-reading this makes me freak-out a bit (what a sentence)
*The Wiep is off for some coffee*

scutter
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
well, I don't think it will resolve the 'lag' as it is the same sort of file
as you listen to the file, you hear every instruction spoken after the other
so tt knows where to find the specific instruction in 1 file
my guess is that that big amount of poi's cause the tt main app to lose it and so causing the voice to stutter as instructions from the main app, while locating the instructions, go wild

pffff, re-reading this makes me freak-out a bit (what a sentence)
*The Wiep is off for some coffee*

I'm having problems too! (see my thread). I can't get my voices to work and Tim or Jane stutters, so I've wiped the whole lot and just left Tim & Jane on there own. {:@<