PDA

View Full Version : SmartMovie conversion - files too big - which settings..?

Thanh
01-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Hello :)

I am using SmartMovie on my 3650. Now, i am not planning to convert entire movies, i have not enough $$ to buy many several huge MMC's. But i do convert several short clips and snippets from movies, however, i have a problem with that.

I have been reading about that software and people stating "i get a whole movie down to 80 MB" etc. Well, i for a start am unable to get a cartoon-music-clip, which is original 56 MB, below 26 MB! It is taken from one part of the "Gravitation" YAOI series, and i love it and wish to have it with me. But as i said, at 26 MB the file is huge.

Now, when someone squeezes a whole DVD into just 80 MB, why is the best i get just a little more than 50% size reduction? I CAN get it smaller but then the quality becomes unwatchable.

Can someone enlighten me as "how to set that thing" to get small files with still acceptable quality?

Any help very much appreciated :)

Kindest regards.....

Thanh

vzx
01-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi there.. you're talking about a 50% reduction in size, but i tell you i have converted files as large as 70-80MB in 15MB files using smart move.

All you need is some good codecs.. the best ones availble are already listed on the lonelycatgames website (http://www.lonelycatgames.com) ..

Follow the link for ffdshow codecs and download them off the respective site.. approx download size is 1.7MB.. codecs are for free ofcourse..

Now coming to the configuring part.. well i myself am rookie so dont know much about configuring the codecs i usually play with the diff tabs in the configuring window and luckily get the settings right every time!!! :cool:

If you need some more professional guidance then i remember a post somewhere on nokiafree which gives a detailed description of each and every setting in the codec.. try the advanced serch feature..

That's all i can offer
Cheers

vzx
01-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi again..

Try this link

http://nokiafree.org/forums/t59735/s.html

Will help you through the settings of ffdshow xvid / divx codec

Cheers

yuppo
01-12-2004, 09:22 PM
On landscape mode with the video at 96kbps and the audio at 16000Hz, 32kbps I get pretty decent videos and they usually equate to around 1Mb = 1 minute.

coolice00
02-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Hey,

Try following this link for details on how to use Virtual Dub to encode movies.
They are by no means small, but dam good quality.

http://nokiafree.org/forums/t62688/h/s.html

I'm Coolice00, who found the settings and use them a lot.

Ian

v7e6j5
02-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Hey,

Try following this link for details on how to use Virtual Dub to encode movies.
They are by no means small, but dam good quality.

http://nokiafree.org/forums/t62688/h/s.html

I'm Coolice00, who found the settings and use them a lot.

Ian

Yeah! I used ur settings & they r good.:smile: I use another kind of sw now. But i still keep ur settings on hand.

coolice00
02-12-2004, 02:06 AM
Yeah! I used ur settings & they r good.:smile: I use another kind of sw now. But i still keep ur settings on hand.

Hey,

What other software do you use mate?
I'm curious now to try it to see if it's better than what I already have.

Ian

v7e6j5
02-12-2004, 05:31 AM
Hey,

What other software do you use mate?
I'm curious now to try it to see if it's better than what I already have.

Ian
AoA DVD Ripper then from there. I use Smartmovie Converter 2 skrink the single movie file down 2 size. I also recently purchased DVD-to-Mobile Nokia S60 ver.. Not bad but 2 slow 4 me & not enough settings. So i stayed with AoA DVD Ripper instead which is fast anyway. It's a good thing i have 2 large harddrives in my Dell. I have so many movie files, all i need 2 do is 2 skrink them down 2 size with Smartmovie Converter. If i didn't do them already. :-)

Thanh
02-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi guys :)

Thanks for the tips and links..... i tried it out with the codecs, and now i could get that file to 10 MB with still very good quality :) What i did not look at before was, that the file in question WAS ALREADY a Div-X file! Now it's sorted out, thanks to your help :)

Hmm that SmartMovie converter seems to use a lot of ressources? When i got it running, the machine gets quite slow..... i use a 1000 MHz Duron, overclocked to 1200 and with 768 MB Ram..... should be good for the task, or?

Kindest regards......

your Thanh

tzeonn
02-12-2004, 03:47 PM
thread moved.

vzx
02-12-2004, 08:22 PM
I use Pentium4 2.4 Ghtz with 256 MB DDR RAM.. and it works fine with me. approx time for an encode is anywhere between 10-20 min depending uopn the file size to be encoded

Maybee you should consider upgrading your Processor for some better speed.. RAM is more than sufficient..

Or beter still try one of the following measures

1) close all background applications
2) disable any anitvirus application (these apps use most of the system resources
3). use Smart movie in win9x rather than winXP.. ( i found that windows XP uses almost of 40% of system resources for system processes which are not required for usually)

Let me know if these work or not..

The speed of encoding also depends upon the codec selected and the settings for compression used..

So all in all be patient or get your computer upgraded :)

v7e6j5
11-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Video settings:
Landscape, Reduce Frames, XviD encoder, 192 kbps
Audio settings:
Enable, Force mono, 16000 Hz, 24 kbps
Codec:
Lame MP3 codec
Volume boost:

And my 1960's Batman TV shows came out great. :D Each of the 7 i did already r around 33 to 36mb big. With no bk. border lines. Full screen all the way. Baby! :D

Thanh
18-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Hello there :)

Now in the meantime i got things sorted out to my fullest satisfaction, using the DivX codec version 5.0.3, in "Handheld Profile", resolution 208x176, 128 kb/s, sound enable, force mono, lame mp3, 16 kb/s.

I got "Alexander", a 2 hour 47 min movie, down to 80.6 MB!! I think i can call that a success. And "Cellular", way shorter at 1 hour 28 min, down to 41 MB!! Both of them play very nicely on the phone, no stuttering picture, no fragments/"pixelly" image, and good sound over headphones (too weak via speaker).

Now i have a little question, maybe someone can help. Both movies i have so far converted to full-length phone compatible versions came from bootlegged DVD's. I used "BackupDVD Pro" to convert the DVD into mpg files of a size suitable to be burned on VCD's, which took three discs/files for "Alexander" and 2 for "Cellular" . The resulting mpg files (3 for Alexander, 2 for Cellular) i then joined into one each movie, using the freeware "TMPGEnc". Those resulting larger mpg files i ran thru SmartMovie converter to get the phone versions.

No problems at all with "Cellular", which i got correct the very first try.

"Alexander" however i had to do twice, because on first try (converting DVD to 3 mpg's) i had the sound level set at the program's default value of "3", which leaded to distortions and crackling sound. However i didn't find out about that untill AFTER having burned the VCD's and uploaded the phone version to my MMC. On the phone this doesn't effect too much - there is some crackling but it is acceptable.

However, i converted the DVD a second time, using "1.5" as sound value, which resulted in a mpg with almost exactly the same size (1.744 vs. 1.743 GB) as the first, "crackling" one. Now, when i run this second one thru SmartMovie again, using the very same settings, the outcoming avi file is 95 MB! Why is that?

Or does having a good sound quality automatically produce larger files? The origin file is almost same size, so i don't understand why the outcome is so much larger..? 95 vs 80 MB is a large difference in my opinion. Remember i used the SAME settings, such as resolution, bitrate, sound bitrate etc, as the first time.

Anyone can comment on this..?

Kind regards......

Thanh

v7e6j5
26-12-2004, 05:18 AM
Now i'm doing Smartmovies of Batman Beyond, Fantastic Four, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Spiderman & Superman cartoons. 18 all 2gether so far totally 571mb. All of them r clear & great sound as well. :D

Video settings:
Landscape, Reduce Frames, XviD encoder, 256 kbps

Audio settings:
Enable, Force mono, 16000 Hz, 24 kbps
Codec:
Lame MP3 codec
Volume boost: