PDA

View Full Version : + Nokia N91 :: The iPOD killer!?!!

Apocalypso
27-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Nokia introduces the Nokia N91 for a true mobile music experience

http://www.symbian-freak.com/images/news/05/04/n91tm.jpg

Storage for up to 3000 songs, plus smartphone functionality in an ultra-portable package

Amsterdam, Cancun, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur - Nokia today introduced the Nokia N91 multimedia, the company's latest device optimized for mobile music consumption. With room for up to 3000 songs on the integrated 4-gigabyte hard disk, the Nokia N91 delivers a premier music experience. In addition, the industry standard 3.5mm stereo headset jack and easy transfer of music files from your PC help make the Nokia N91 a connected mobile jukebox. Encased in stainless steel, the Nokia N91 has dedicatl....

Read more:
New Nokia S60 phone N91!!! - full story (http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/0405/n91.htm)

Sincerely yours,
Apoc

leespud
27-04-2005, 04:06 PM
yeh read about this early this morning looks ace and its due my next upgrade :D but doubt it would replace my sony NW-HD3,

btw were 3 different threads really needed for these phones they where all released together and all websites ive seen news of them has combined the information

momagic
27-04-2005, 07:42 PM
i fucking want this fone!!!

:D

Apocalypso
28-04-2005, 07:41 AM
btw were 3 different threads really needed for these phones they where all released together and all websites ive seen news of them has combined the information

But it is so different and unique phones!?

However, here it is...

+ Nokia Nseries summary....

Nokia introduces the N70 :: N90 :: N91

Nokia announced the new Nseries range of handsets on 27th April 2005 - a significant move for Nokia for a number of reasons. The Nokia N70, N90 and N91 handsets break with tradition in handset naming, but more significantly they break with some traditions in manufacturing too.

It's a suprising move for Nokia - although the N91 was sort-of expected, the entire Nseries concept is a new one, and it shows fresh thinking and the start of an interesting new direction....

Read more:
Nokia Nseries summary.... - full story (http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/0405/nss.htm)

Sincerely yours,
Apoc

marklloydbinar
28-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Hope that Nokia to get their FCC certification as soon as possible, this stuff really cool.

whoppass2003
28-04-2005, 11:22 AM
But it is so different and unique phones!?

However, here it is...

+ Nokia Nseries summary....

Nokia introduces the N70 :: N90 :: N91

Nokia announced the new Nseries range of handsets on 27th April 2005 - a significant move for Nokia for a number of reasons. The Nokia N70, N90 and N91 handsets break with tradition in handset naming, but more significantly they break with some traditions in manufacturing too.

It's a suprising move for Nokia - although the N91 was sort-of expected, the entire Nseries concept is a new one, and it shows fresh thinking and the start of an interesting new direction....

Read more:
Nokia Nseries summary.... - full story (http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/0405/nss.htm)

Sincerely yours,
Apoc

but how much $$ for each the N70,N90 AND N91 ??
:-?

the 4gb ipod mini retails in at 200 USD

leespud
28-04-2005, 01:15 PM
are they runnning the s60 platform??

i hope so!!! (the n-gage = n-series???)

cant find a single fault with the n91 this is the king of king we have been waiting for, the only let down would be to find its not s60

NokDoc
28-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I added a poll from another thread by Mr. Whoppass2003 to this thread.

My personal choice would be the iPod mini, although I more like to see stuff with 40gig or so to compare.

Till that time this 3000 tracks and 4GB is not enough so I'll stick to my old phone and buy a 40 or 60gig iPod.

Ps, mathematically seen, 3000 is an illusion, unless U have bad ears and Ur mp3 avarage size is 1.2MB. ;)

NokDOc

bogu
28-04-2005, 07:06 PM
When I first looked thru these phones I was sure that the N91 wouldn't have a camera to make you choose between photos (N90 and N70) and music but how wrong I was... N91 sports a 2MP camera as well as a 4 GB hard drive!!! This is the phone I've been waiting for and I would shell out a lot of money for it with no hesitation... I just hope it's Symbian

bogu
28-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Yes it is Symbian, just looked again, only thing that worries me is that Open Mobile Alliance for "protection/digital right management of music files"???? WTF?

momagic
28-04-2005, 07:47 PM
call me sad but i wanna shag this fone so badly i would break it in 2!!!! hahahahahahahaha

:oops:

H@Zardous P@in
29-04-2005, 02:35 PM
it is Symbian 60 but i don't see any MENU button in the N91 :confused:

XunMingRui
29-04-2005, 03:03 PM
The only way it can kill off the IPod mini ranges is if they price it lower or the same as a 4gb IPod Mini

Personally I want that bloody phone lol

S12ken
29-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't think they are targeting the ipod market specifically... it's really a go-between device... for people who don't wanna lug around $1000+ worth of equipment. I personally have an aversion to the N91, cool as it maybe, the speed maybe sacrificed to jam a 4 gb Microdrive in there... 2mp is cool, but what of the image processing speed. There are many factors and bugs that Nokia still has to figure out. Remember the 7700 concept phone... it took the 2 whole years to develop a stable OS. I know S60 is stabe, but with my experience, playing more than 2 albums worth of mp3s slowed down my phone, not to mention killed my battery life in half. If they can prove that: a.) the have a solid, stable operating system that can handle the load of 4gbs and 2mps b.) have a battery that'll last longer than 12hrs and c.) if they can competetively price the damn sucker. My guess is prices will range from USD $300 - 600. in which case i'd rather buy a more competenet 20-40gb device.

XunMingRui
29-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Nokia Site(or the press release) claims 12.5 hours of playback

More than enough for me lol

leespud
29-04-2005, 05:00 PM
it is Symbian 60 but i don't see any MENU button in the N91 :confused:

heres the answer :D

http://www.mobileburn.com/imagepop.jsp?file=%3Cimg+src%3D%22media%2Fnokia%2Fn91%2Fthumb_n91_side-IMG_1491.jpg%22+width%3D%22150%22+height%3D%2283%22+alt%3D%22Nokia+N91%22+border%3D%220%22%3E

XunMingRui
29-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Wow its quite small, Lets hope that its a decent price

bogu
29-04-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm willing to give my left kidney for this phone, if you think about it buying a camera, a phone, and an i-pod would probably cost you a lot more separately than buying this phone whatever the price may be, never mind carrying all this stuff with you instead of just one tiny phone...

bugless
29-04-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm willing to give my left kidney for this phone, if you think about it buying a camera, a phone, and an i-pod would probably cost you a lot more separately than buying this phone whatever the price may be, never mind carrying all this stuff with you instead of just one tiny phone...
well, lets think about that. a 2mP camera would be no more than 50 bucks. Actually I doubt anyone is even selling them anymore. A phone without a camera or mp3 would cost you say 100 bucks, even if you wanted an old S60 phone. And the ipod, well you wouldn't buy an ipod when there are cheaper 4G mp3 players out there, so that would be maybe 250 bucks. Thats a grand total of 400 bucks. Lets hope Nokia see this post when they work out the retail price of the N91

Thanh
30-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Hi there :)

First of all, i don't have an iPod, nor planning to buy one. My portable music needs are completely filled with the 6600 and it's capability of mono mp3/ogg playback.

The new phones of the N-Series are stunning tough. I like particular the larger screen resolutions - it would be great for decent web browsing. But how about this "hard disk" thing??

It's a phone, right? So how about it slips out of your pocket (phones do that!) Will the hardd disk survive that? Those aren't normally quite shock proof. Also, how is the battery consumption, if you have to run the actual phone (Symbian OS), that big TFT screen, AND the bloody hardd disk with it's motor?

And after all, a hard disk's main advantage would be the possibility to upgrade, as newer (and bigger) versions become available. Will that phone be upgradeable?? Not that i think 4 GB will be full very quick - but i see bigger and bigger games/apps coming up for such phones.......

And it is a Nokia. As i see with my own poor little 6600, Nokia just CAN'T make a perfect phone. It gives me everything i need - except ONE, actually important, function - SSL. So here at this point i guess the N91 will *somewhere* be crippled. It is a Nokia tradition of sort......

Now on to a 2 MP camera. Wow, that's what my digital camera can (the "real" camera), it is 2.1 MP actually and i don't see any need to replace it because it makes superb pictures. Now these phones can do that too? Again, how about a flash at least?? I can't see any. Is there a macro function? Decent zoom? (ok, maybe that can be done via 3rd party application). But a flash would be essential, since these phones make a step forward towards serious digital photography (and, before you start whining, 2 MP IS enough!)

Next thing is the bigger screen resolution. It for sure makes picture taking and web browsing a completely different experience. But i see already that NONE of current Symbian applications will be compatible, alone for the screen resolution. Maybe they'll run, but there will be the same effect as if running serie-40 java things on a serie-60 phone. And it will take a while for all apps to be available supporting the new models. How about those N-Gage games that everyone is so crazy for? For sure won't run on those devices.

I will stick with my 6600. The only phone which could replace it is the 3230, IF someone could enlighten me that a ordinary RS-MMC could be used. I need my 1-GB because THAT is almost full - anything smaller would have me lost.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

bogu
30-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi there :)

First of all, i don't have an iPod, nor planning to buy one. My portable music needs are completely filled with the 6600 and it's capability of mono mp3/ogg playback.

Thanh

Mono sucks tho, get a 6620 at least... same phone but stereo playback...

Thanh
30-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Hello :)

Yup yup, the 6620 would be IT since it's even got EDGE, something my main network (D-TAC) has too. However the 6620 is not available in this country since it's a north-america-only model...... the frequencies 850 and 1900 are not much used elsewhere. Here in Thailand a tri-band phone has 900, 1800, 1900. However i use D-TAC (1800) and AIS (900) on my 6600, with D-TAC being the main.

So since i am able to use it, it's just a matter of getting one. Can you send me one? How much are they (second hand) at your location?

I know "send me's" are not allowed, but i would in fact seriously be interested. E-Bay is no option due to lack of online payments, but if i found someone on location willing to send one in exchange for good old cash, i'd be willing. Just let me know how's the prices. If i can sell mine 6600 for near the required amount, i'd be in for the deal.

Kind regards....

Thanh

bogu
30-04-2005, 06:33 PM
I bought a used one from eBay for $220 US, and one of the providers here started to sell them brand new for $300 Canadian, they're pretty cheap considering how good the phone is...

NokDoc
30-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Mr. Thanh,

>> I know "send me's" are not allowed...

Nah, I think 'send me phones' isn't. ;)

NokDoc

Thanh
01-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Hello :)

Thanks, NokDoc, for allowing my quest :) it's a "mission impossible" of sort anyway........

I have been looking up the 6620 and all i can say is that i would really like one of those. However i found no information at all if it's got stereo mp3? What i found is that it's got a pop-port connector, faster CPU (150 MHz) and more RAM (12 MB). Particular RAM and CPU have my interest - i have no problem at all running all sorts of apps on the 6600 but MORE horsepower is never bad, right?

Now, does it run the standard Symbian apps? For some reason, many apps that run on one phone won't do on another, even within the same OS Symbian 7.0 (i see it daily, comparing between my 6600 which seemingly takes everything and my boyfriend's 6260 which seemingly takes nothing). How is the MMC's - standard or RS size? Because i got a 1-gig and want to keep that one!

Now, the price. I know nothing about canadian dollars.... 300 of them what would that be in U.S. dollars? Is that phone then unlocked? Or is that a provider-subsidized phone which is SIM locked and therefor pretty useless for me?

Here in Thailand, a brand-new 6600 is available at (still!) 12.500 Baht, which is around 328 U.S. dollars. The price of this phone stays amazingly stable since it is highly popular. The 6260, for example, has since it's introduction in last november (when i bought it) dropped from 16.600 Baht (what i paid for it!) to 12.000 - yes, cheaper than the 6600 now! The reason is the initial run for that phone, and very soon later a large wave of 6260's coming back.... the second-hand market is flooded with those now, all with the same defects - buggy software (Nokia STILL doesn't have an upgrade as of yesterday!!!) and the colour peeling off at the joint of the clamshell. My boyfriend's phone suffers the same problems. However, the above prices are for an unlocked, SIM-free phone with full "warranty" (according to Nokia, the warranty of the 6260 covers nothing but the main board, so in fact it's a joke).

Compare second hand prizes: A 6600 in top condition costs 10.000, one with scratches etc still around 8.500. The 6260, in TOP condition, sells for 8.000! Badly scratched ones i saw yesterday for as little as 5.500..... I think Nokia already regrets having put this into the market. Maybe that's why they don't even bother shipping a new flash file to Thailand. Now the 6680 is available, i saw it yesterday, priced at 23.500 Baht. The 3230 sells at 13.500 Baht. Again, all prices are for unlocked phones.

I am curious how the N-Series phones will be priced here... i expect them to be available here soon, since we usually get new models way before some other countries, at least in the black market.

Kind regards......

your Thanh

bogu
01-05-2005, 11:29 PM
It's stereo for sure cuz I've had it for a few days, for currency exchange rates see www.xe.com, phones are locked but it took me a minute to unlock it...

tzeonn
03-05-2005, 02:25 PM
@Thanh theres the sales sections ;-)