PDA

View Full Version : 7600 & eBay cable -Please help!-

muad_dib77
13-05-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm slowly but surely losing my mind.
Is a serial cable not a serial cable? I can't even get my pcs to see that my phone is connected.

I'll start at the beginning.

I'm in ROI, I've bought a 7600 on eBay - and the error describtion goes:

After previous owner attemted to unlock the phone it now reads all sims, but doesen't pick up a signal - further more the camera in not working.

Fair enough I think, all this phone needs is a firmware reset to get switched to a 2g network, or perhaps it's a simple firmware reflash. I can do that.
- So I buy it! -

Now starts the hunt for a datacable.

Knowing that the phone features bluetooth I consider getting a dongle, but at the sametime having a technical support background I'm vary that this may not have flash capabilities, I also remember seeing somewhere that the standart Nokia USB cable didn't offer that feature. So I opt for a serial cable, one that fits my phone.

Check this picture: [ http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/2e/40/02_1_b.JPG (http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/2e/40/02_1_b.JPG) ]

Which should be fine - it's a serial cable & it fits my phone.. it has the correct number of pins, they're in the correct positions - hooray. - or so i thought.

Now I happily download Userport, and the Maestro Fbus 0.25 on my 56k connection (serial modem, so I know my ports are good) - Install both apps as described on my XP sp1 system..all is well... or so I thought.

Upon connecting the phone and turning it on everything seem normal .. no signal, no camera - phone is otherwise normal.
I try to get the application (fbus .25) to read the phone - Nothing
I try both com ports, nothing
I try with and without userport running - nothing
I download the Nokiaphone manager from oxygensoftware, - nothing!

Knowing that XP is sometimes..well..strange..I make sure that my IRQs are below 15, and that there are no conflicts.. Still nothing.. I try everything with a UK sim and a ROI sim (Uk-Vodafone ROI-Eircell/Vodafone)..I even try it without a sim..and just in case...I check if it helps turning the phone off..

Nothing!

Ok - it could still be XP..You never know, sometimes it just wont do what it's supposed to.. Luckily I have my DivX/Xvid playback 550mhz p3 machine in the sitting room, so I stick the apps on a cd and spend the morning sitting on the floor going through all the same steps. Still nothing.

Please oh please is there anybody out there who can help me? This phone is wrecking my head - i's sooo nice, but it just doesn't work.

When I do the star-hash-0000-hash thing. it tells me the following

v 03.05
30-01-04
NMM-3
(c) Nokia

I suppose that means I'm running firmware 03.05?? - i've seen reference to a firmware 4 pint something, but I can't find it available for download anywhere, furthermore - what application would I use to update the firmware. - and why don't any of my applications see my phone - am I missing something?

I really hope there somebody out there who can help me.

Kind regards,
Muad_Dib77

muad_dib77
20-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Sorry about that rant..

I've now gotten the correct cable... turns out the one i bought on ebay is good for pretty much nothing when it comes to reflashing a phone.

Now all I really need, but haven't been able to find is the 2g firmware for the phone - is there anybody out there that might be able to help me?

My new cable/adapter is this odd thing you connect to your phone kinda like a battery only it has 4 pins that connect to the print at the very bottom of battery slot.
Fascinating stuff.

Please help if you can..had this phone for a while now without being able to use it.