PDA

View Full Version : Operating System



5185noss1
24-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi there what operating system does everyone use to flash phones? I cant seem to get any of the programs like Rolis, to work on XP.

Do you all use windows 98? I have a copy but cant find the serial number. So anyway of using windows xp?

NokDoc
24-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi,

Y, most tools only work in W98, or W98 mode in XP.

But with a tool like 'userport.exe' (use search), I heard U can make XP flash with these tools too.

NokDoc

5185noss1
24-05-2005, 12:25 PM
I am not familiar with windows 98 mode in xp? I am aware u can run to operating systems, by selecting one on boot, but is it possible to have two operating systems switching between the two without re-booting?

So will userport allow rolis to work in xp?

yak
30-05-2005, 11:28 AM
I am using XP and Rolis on it without problems - thanks to userport. All other software like NokiX (which was created on XP, I know since I'm the author), PPMMaker, PPMEdit, kNok and so on works too. The problem with XP is that it forbids direct operating on ports (COM, LPT), and most of the GSM software operates directly on them. UserPort solves this problem. If some progam have some other problem (not with the ports) you can try the Win98 mode of XP. Simply open properies dialog of the progs (right click on .exe, choose Properies) and on Compatibility tab (or somethis simmilar, I'm not sure) choose Windows 98 mode.

mestrini
31-05-2005, 12:19 AM
It's true that in win9x ports are always ready to intiate transfer of data but that's was changed in NT systems since it's a hole in the system's security.
So, programs made to operate with NT systems must open the ports themselves everytime they run, which doesn't happen with Rolis and other flashers.
This is also to tell you that having usertport always activated exposes the ports and increases vunerability :eek:

But there are other ocasions where userport can't help people with NT systems. The ones that have Radeon graphic cards like mine :x . For these cases there is another port manager utility that bypasses the limitations: porttalk.exe .
I can't recall the name of the program but just follow this link: http://nokiafree.org/forums/showpost.php?p=326622&postcount=11

cheers