PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you switch SIMs?

Trek234
16-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new to cell phones in general. I only have one and it's the only one I've ever had.

It currently is a Tmobile Nokia 6010 that has the Tmobile prepaid SIM in it.

I am wondering - if I were to get a SIM from a prepaid Cingular Samsung phone would it enable Cingular specific features as well as bring Cingular prepaid service to the Nokia 6010 phone?

In other words - if you have Tmobile Nokia 6010 with Tmobile SIM and put in a Cingular Samsung phone SIM will it enable cingular things like Media Net (while disabling things like Tmobile Tzones) and replace all the Tmobile references with Cingular ones?

Or does switching the SIM chip simply change the voice phone service between providers?

Thanks for any info!

ivanmmj
16-06-2005, 06:08 AM
I will work only if both providers use the frequencies provided through your phone. Other than that, most cell phones are locked to a specific provider and must be unlocked. I THINK singular uses a similar network to Tmobile, so it SHOULD work if it's unlocked. You change the sim card and you basically change the phone number and the whole service of it.
This will NOT work in NexTel or Sprint networks. They use a different kind of service. I don't know what frequencies others use.