PDA

View Full Version : How to enable EDGE on a 6230

Catch
27-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Hey,

I know the 6230 can use EDGE (EGPRS) but I cant find how to enable it!

Does anyone know!?!

Thanks in advance, Karl.

Catch
27-06-2005, 07:22 PM
ANYONE!?..... :cry:

PaoloWireless
17-08-2005, 04:15 AM
is it a 6230 A version? 900/1800/1900? if so EDGE only operates on 850 in North America, and to obtain Edge Speeds, you need a 6230B with 850/1800/1900, and edge will only work if you are camping on 850

PeakCelln
01-09-2005, 07:26 PM
EDGE Stands for Enhanced Data rate for Global Evolution; it has also been known as GSM++ and 2.5G. It is basically a intermediate step between TDMA and 3G; and was instituted because it didnt need to be physically added to every GPRS site. It was suppose to offer 384kbps but offers much less in reality; Mainly due to the handsets limitations. Most handsets will actually only provide 50kbps-130kbps, but these rates are not very publicized.The 3200b was around 43kbps, but it was an early EDGE phone;and the 6200 had up to 80kbps. I believe the 6230b is around 100-120. However the new 6682 is boasting speeds over 200kbps which will rival some of the lower 3G standards. Although 3G is now saturated in Europe, it is only available in 10-12 major cities in the U.S. It is basically what AT&T/Cingular is striving for on its system. However, only about 1% of its customer base is even interested in this service, so its expansion has considerably slowed. In fact, if you need a 3G phone(also known as WCDMA and UMTS) you have to find an AT&T branded 6651(I actually Have two Ive never opened because it is not available in my area); but secondary markets are looking at 12-18 months at least before it is released. Hopefully, the partnership AT&T, and now, Cingular set up with Japanese DoCoMo, will act as a catalyst. There is even another future standard on the GSM side called HSPDA which will provide speeds exceeding 600kbps, but that is at least, 5 years out , conservatively.
Anyway, your phone will switch to EDGE automatically(from GPRS) when it is available. Depending on your area, you may have to call in to AT&T or Cingular and make sure the EDGE is activated. But this is depending whether or not you did and OTA(over the air activation) or not when you first activated the phone. If it wasnt just call Your respective Customer Care and get the settings. But the earlier poster was right, you must have an 6230b(with the 850 freq.) to utilize it.
Well I hope this is helpful, it feels good to add something to this forum from my neck of expertise.

thorny530
13-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Edge is Enchanced GPRS in my travels I have only noticed it in available in The USA

The reason for this is that most of Europe and Australia has WCDMA UMTS (3G)

3G is faster and also uses less bandwidth thus more profits for the network operators(once they have paid their licenses off)

As GPRS, EDGE is a subscription based service, that would be provisioned by your network or service provider

I did hear that AT&T before it merged with Cingular were trialing? a 3G service on different frequency(1900) than the other areas mentioned above

I hope this helps

Cingular and ATT Currently use GPRS for the devices that are GRPS. EDGE is used on only EDGE Capable Phones.

Cingular Launches the UMTS network in 16 markets on Nov 16. Legacy ATT customers that had a UMTS device can use UMTS in the 6 markets that are avalible as of now.

The only drawback to UMTS in the US is that if you use UMTS and go into an area that has no coverage, the phone will default to GPRS and cannot use EDGE