PDA

View Full Version : Flashing with Notebooks

Mr Wolf
20-08-2005, 11:36 PM
So, I read, for example here:
http://gsmsearch.com/faq/nokiaflasher.html
that you can't flash using a notebook, because lpt ports on Notebooks seem to be different (in what way?) from lpt ports on desktops.

So, I want to ask if this is problem is insoluble, or if there is a solution: I was thinking to use a converter from lpt port to serial port.

Can anyone help me?

mekme
30-08-2005, 09:35 AM
That was stupid.

I have several notebooks and all of them working to flash with.

The difference is that a LPT port can have diffrent "id". Where Standard is 378(?).

Notebooks can sometimes have other "id" on the lpt port. But with knok-phoenix its possible (others too?) to change the lpt-port type. So it willl work.

(to figure it out there should say something in BIOS, or device manager about your lptport)

NokDoc
30-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi,

Not stupid, I recall from long ago, also my HP laptop didnot flash.

Correct port adresses, correct lpt mode set in bios.

Someone told me that it was since that my lpt port gave less power as normal pc's would.

I solved by using another pc for flashing, however it seems U can also attach an external battery to the flasher's scheme.

Please don't ask how, I'm no hw man.

NokDoc

mekme
30-08-2005, 06:39 PM
In that case it must be something strange with HP.

Cause i have flashed with notebooks (p,p2,p3,celeron,amd)
dell, fujitsu, acer, compaq, mitac.

And it worked fine with Knok.

But i might have just been lucky =)

Mr Wolf
30-08-2005, 10:34 PM
AZZZ! I assure that with Compaq Armada M700 I can't flash, with Win XP it doesn't recognize the phone and with Win 98 it freezes and crashes!

I found this post:
http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/index.php/t-96597.html

My bios only allows me to disable lpt port, I'll see if it is possible to change something with knok-phoenix as mekme says!

Do you guys think it's possible to use a lpt to serial converter, as I was thinking (I'm not sure, but I think I saw one, so it should exist)??

NokDoc
31-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi,

>> But i might have just been lucky =)

Can't say it's strange or not, but remember that kNok not even existed in 2000/ 2001. :)

And laptops of 300Mhz were about the most luxury ones U could get those days.

Besides that it was impossible to buy flasher tools, we only had this dejan selfmake scheme.

And dejan.exe, which meant alot of stuff to figure out bout bootloaders & port settings before even knowing if U built Ur flasher plug correct.

Anyway, all I really recall is that on my laptop it didn't work and had to flash my 3210 on my home pc.

Ps, maybe cool for U to know GsmSearch was this forums name before it was called being NokiaFree.

>> Do you guys think it's possible to use a lpt to serial converter, as I was thinking.

I really dono hw, but I can assume for 95% it is a silly idea.

Simple while ifso, we would already had some smart collegueas here making a combined flasher/ data device running on only the comport.

NokDoc

Mr Wolf
31-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Thank you!

Maybe I'm not lucky instead and I must take it into my ass! (sorry for the bad word!)

Then I can't use a parallel to serial converter!AZZZZZ!!!

Why then I still find pages from gsmsearch?