PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew and Russian PPM strings

LoMaster
10-09-2005, 02:53 PM
UPDATED - 09-Feb-2007

I've added Hebrew and Russian PPM strings for most currently available scripts. Most of the translations were tested (to fit the screen, etc.) on Nokia 3310, many of them - also on Nokia 8210; on 8210, there still are strings not fitting on screen - I have no time to re-check and correct everything, sorry - that's A LOT of work...

Some original (English) strings are also changed to make them (IMHO) more descriptive/correct/etc.

There surely can be other problems with my translations, that I know or don't know about. Some of them are listed below; if anybody thinks he/she found a problem / can improve smth - post here. Now I don't have time to make serious improvements, but I'll try to correct what you ask.

Older list of known problems (may be out-of-date):

- No Hebrew (????? appears instead) in:
bninfo.nrx - all strings.
sms_counter.nrx - “In”, “Out” strings.

- Hebrew strings appear in left-to-right (instead of right-to-left) in:
bus_timetable.nrx - actions.
screen_saver.nrx (both orig. & the one improved by nookiaworld) - months and weekdays.
calendar.nrx (both orig. & the one improved by nookiaworld) - actions, months and weekdays.
moon.nrx - all the strings on the application's screen (age, etc.)
periodic.nrx - all the strings on the application's screen (the help strings).
puzzle.nrx - message at the end of the game.
race2.nrx - "Level", "Ready...", "SCORE:" strings
rpn_calculator.nrx - actions on the main screen (not the ones when entered a menu).

- In battery_display.nrx - the "text/level" must be changed (to "text/bat_level", for example) both in the script and in the strings file, because the "Level" item is translated differently in games (where the "text/level" is also used) and in battery display.

- In display_date.nrx - when date format is set to a one that displays months' names (not just numbers) and starts with a digit (day or year), some separators are displayed in incorrect order [not the script's bug - that's how strings which include both right-to-left and left-to-right char sequences are displayed]

Translations for all scripts from the official NokiX package (06-Oct-2006) are included in the "Hebrew & Russian (for official NokiX scripts pack).rar" file.

The alphabetical list of other people's scripts translations that are included in the "Hebrew & Russian (for 3rd-party NokiX scripts).rar" file:

advanced_calculator.nrx
alarm_tones.nrx
anykey_answer.nrx
autokeylock.nrx
automatic_answer.nrx
automatic_shutdown.nrx
battery_display.nrx
battery_temperature.nrx
bit_of_pipe.nrx
bninfo.nrx
call_counter.nrx
call_duration.nrx
call_restrictions.nrx
call_volume.nrx
caps_lock.nrx
codec.nrx
cyberpet.nrx
display_date.nrx
edit_product_serial.nrx
edit_security_code.nrx
goto_menu.nrx
keylock_backlights.nrx
lines.nrx
light_settings.nrx
lost_network.nrx
lost_signal_notification.nrx
lunar_phase_ss.nrx
lunar_screensaver.nrx
mbus_options.nrx
message_counter.nrx
MineSweeper.nrx
moon.nrx
netgraph_def.nrx
new_7_bars.nrx
new_alarm_tones.nrx
new_shutdown_anim.nrx
nu_pagadi.nrx
O&X.nrx
old_spymode.nrx
periodic_table.nrx
pills.nrx
pong.nrx
power.nrx
puzzle.nrx
race2.nrx
remove_spaces.nrx
rpn_calculator.nrx
screen_saver.nrx
sec_code_2_default.nrx
set_volume_def.nrx
shutdown_anim_tone.nrx
shutdown_tones.nrx
siemens_keylock.nrx
sms_bomber.nrx
sms_counter.nrx
sms_preview.nrx
snake2.nrx
sp_and_is.nrx
speech_coding.nrx
spymode_def.nrx
standby_logos.nrx
startup_shutdown_media.nrx
stoper.nrx
sudoku.nrx
thermometer.nrx
tetris.nrx
TiltMaze.nrx
tron.nrx
view_sim_pin.nrx
viruz_def.nrx
volumes.nrx
welcome_tones.nrx
world_clock.nrx
If somebody needs Hebrew / Russian translation for script(s) not listed here, let me know.

If somebody can provide English instructions for rotater.nrx (no instr. included, and I don't know how to play this game) and lines.nrx (the included instruction is too weird), please post them here.

2 all the scriptmakers
Of course, you can include these translations in your future releases, if you want; no need to ask me first.

yak
13-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Nice job! I see you had a hard work with those Unicode chars...

LoMaster
14-09-2005, 10:18 AM
I asked a friend to write a little program to convert text to Unicode numbers and back, so it wasn't such a BIG problem to write all that PPM strings. I think he will allow me to put the program online for everyone's convenience.

BTW, 2 little problems what I found when doing the hebrew translation:

1. Sometimes masculine and feminine forms of "ON" and "OFF" strings don's match to the menu where they are used. How can a script be changed to use, for example, not "text/off" string, but "text/masculine/off" one? There might be another problem, if different languages in some PPM require different forms for the same string, but this problem is not likely to appear.

2. In "Calendar", "Watch", "Screen Saver" (and maybe more) applications the weekdays are replaced by question marks, and months' names - by numbers (english & russian are OK). Do they use some (their own?) font that doesn't include hebrew characters?

yak
14-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Heh, cool idea to write a program to do that...

1. To change the script from text/on to text/masculine/on you first have to add masculine string to ppm file. in most scripts i use special get_ppm_str procedure, you must find a call to it: get_ppm_str("on") and replace it with get_ppm_str("masculine/on"). If get_ppm_str wasn't used, then you have to replace getenv("text/on") with getenv("text/masculine/on").

2. Only calendar uses its own fonts but only to display numbers representing days. weekdays are always displayed using build-in fonts. It may be some problem with Unicode -> ascii conversion. I will try to take a look at this.

--- added ----

I think I know what's the problem. Those apps doesn't fully support Unicode PPM languages but this can be easily fixed. I will publish fixed versions in next snapshot. Thanks for pointing this out.

--- added ----

Unicode problem was hopefully fixed in the new snapshot (21.09.2005).

LoMaster
28-09-2005, 10:44 PM
1). Thanx a lot, the Unicode problem is solved in your scripts!
2). There are some third-party scripts still having this problem (see the first post). Hoping somebody can correct them... :???:
3). There is still a problem with the Calendar. The weekdays' first two letters (which are displayed on the Calendar's main screen) are shown in left-to-right in Hebrew, while Heb text must be written right-to-left. Additionally, the weekdays are called in Hebrew "Day first", "Day second", etc., so all days are shown the same! :)
Possible sulution: add 7 more PPM strings for storing short weekday names. In Hebrew weekdays can also be marked just A', B', ... , F', S' (looks like HEX, hehe), so:
- they will be shown differently from each other, and
- it's possible to cause them appear in right-to-left just by swapping characters: 'A, 'B, ...

Adding the strings will also be good for Russian (and maybe for some other languages?)

Thanx and more power!

P. S. Is it possible to add an option to select which weekday is the first (at least as a script's parameter, at most - as an additional menu)?

yak
29-09-2005, 11:57 AM
1) no porblem
2) well, try to contact the autors maybe?
3) i have to work a liitle on the calendar, i want to integrate it with nokia calendar in phones with it (6110/8210/5210). i'll try to add the "start of week" selection. if we would know what is the start day in what language then i can make it switch automaticaly - user would not have to think about it. but what about the weekend? now it is separated with a dotted line from the rest of a week to make the whole thing a little clearer (beacause there are no "Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su" - no place for them). should the Sa-Su be always separated by a line from two sides? as for the short weekdays names, ok, i will integrate the short versions as separate ppm strings (in free time :)).

LoMaster
29-09-2005, 04:03 PM
...if we would know what is the start day in what language then i can make it switch automaticaly - user would not have to think about it.
It's NOT a good idea, IMHO. Take me, for example: :-) I always set my phone to Russian, but i live in Israel, where the week starts on Sunday, unlike Russia.

should the Sa-Su be always separated by a line from two sides?
Here in Israel Saturday (and sometines Friday) is considered to be the weekend. Sunday is the first day of the week and appears in the first column in calendars.
I think that it'll OK to select during patching, where the line should appear and which day is the first - no real need to create additional menus for this. People usually don't change these things often.

LoMaster
05-04-2006, 01:40 PM
All the translations are updated - see the first post.

Scriptmakers - please take a look at the problems list.

BlinK_
05-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Have you translated long and short weekdays strings to russian and hebrew? If so, how did you do that? I cant find these strings in the calendar_ppm_txt file...

LoMaster
06-04-2006, 08:20 AM
2 BlinK_
The strings are in the "locate_ppm_weekdays.txt" file.

BlinK_
06-04-2006, 08:26 AM
oh.. here they are.. and lots of micaleneaus scripts.. thank you very much..

ShadoW2004
21-07-2006, 02:12 PM
How to encode russian strings?

LoMaster
09-02-2007, 03:44 PM
New translations - see the first post. Some of them may be buggy - I didn't test them with newest releases (like those updated scripts by nuukiaworld).