PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP to UNLOCK Cingular Nokia 6682

Cell_site
17-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi :

I don't know if I''m posting it in a right place ??? Since i don't know what DCT4 or DCT3 for :-?

I got a Cingular Branded Nokia 6682 , and would like to UNLOCK it .. Unfortunately tried 3 different calculator WONT work :sad:

Any Idea What can I can get it UNLOCK with :???:

Thanks

EdgeCrusher
18-09-2005, 06:03 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I think 6682 belongs to the 6680 series, which can't be unlocked via codes nor any other way, just with a code from your provider.

I say "I hope I'm wrong" because these new series only allow three tries, not five like before. So, if you have tried already three times, even buying the correct code from your provider won't help.

The option that you have is buying the code, say to them that it is not working, and call to your customer service.

As I said, I don't have this much experience with this series as I don't have this phone nor it is selled in my country. But, at least for Nokia site, they are the same series, and probably the same unlocking method was used. If it so, basically you don't have much choice another than buying the code and then call customer service for help.

Best regards
Edge

fatboymal
19-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Edge,

You are correct, the 6682 is a BB5, and the codes cannot yet be calculated (but they can be purchased from your carrier).

thorny530
21-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Are we ever going to get the dongle to unlock the bb5 symbian phones?

EdgeCrusher
21-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Not for now it seems. Dejan Kaljevic (who was once the DTC3 master) seems to have managed to unlock bb5 handsets but not remotely.

So, there seems to be a solution, but if you're not in Serbia seems a little hard to get the handset unlocked, unless you buy the code from the provider of course.

Eventually there will be a solution as for everything. But, as the word implies, eventually does not set a dead line.

Best regards
Edge

brymnt
25-03-2006, 08:19 AM
these guys claim to be able to unlock the 6682..
http://www.unlockitnow.com/Nokia/
hope it works

mestrini
25-03-2006, 10:28 PM
NOT TRUE!!

this is the text one gets if 6630 is selected:

"Notify Me When Nokia 6630 can be Unlocked!

Notify Me by E-Mail

This phone might soon be unlockable by other methods. We are offering you the opportunity to be the first to know as soon as the Nokia 6630 phone can be unlocked. We will only use your email to notify you as soon as your phone model can be unlocked by our services."

so back to same state :P

Dr Tran
13-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Cingular provides the unlock codes for 6682 now.

bojinx
13-04-2006, 08:38 PM
these guys claim to be able to unlock the 6682..
http://www.unlockitnow.com/Nokia/
hope it works

did you check the bottom part that says:

Notify Me by E-Mail: This phone might soon be unlockable by other methods. We are offering you the opportunity to be the first to know as soon as the Nokia 6682 phone can be unlocked. We will only use your email to notify you as soon as your phone model can be unlocked by our services.

d60pdp
24-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Cingular provides the unlock codes for 6682 now.

How can we get it? Further info is appreciated.

Dr Tran
24-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Call Cingular customer service, tell them you want your 6682 unlocked.

Linica
24-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Did they actually provide you any kind of unlock code? If so, how did they deliver the code to you (SMS, email)?

I've tried. I called Cingular & Nokia like 4 times... Nokia (Let's Talk to be exact) told me that I have to call Cingular, and Cingular afer my 30-day return period had expired finally told me that they can't unlock this phone.

Does it make a difference wheather you buy the phone from Nokia directly or from Cingular? Is Cingular perhaps refusing to give me the code because I didn't buy the phone from them or are they telling the truth?

I also went to a T-mobile store and tried their SIM with this phone and got a message "SIM not accepted".

I've just about given up and am ready to get rid of this phone and Cingular. If anyone has any success please let me know.

Couple more things:

1. moderators - please forgive me if this question doesn't belong to this forum. I did the search and didn't find an answer.

2. could someone please in a simple way explain to me what is the DCT* and what are the differences between DCT2, 3, & 4? How do I know which one my phone would be?

Thanks,
Lina

EdgeCrusher
24-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Does it make a difference wheather you buy the phone from Nokia directly or from Cingular? Is Cingular perhaps refusing to give me the code because I didn't buy the phone from them or are they telling the truth?
Lina

Usually, when you buy the phone directly from Nokia, they are NOT locked and they have a generic firmware, meaning, no customized menus, functions, etc. It does make a difference... usually, buying directly from Nokia is more expensive. However, Nokia is correct when they tell that you should contact Cingular, since they are the ones who should supply you an unlock code. They deliver it usually by SMS or by mail.

I also went to a T-mobile store and tried their SIM with this phone and got a message "SIM not accepted".

I've just about given up and am ready to get rid of this phone and Cingular. If anyone has any success please let me know.
Lina

The sim is not accepted since the phone is locked. Don't give up yet... Cingular HAS to provide you the code. You can even threat them legally. The bad news is that only they can help you, not Nokia not even a flashing the phone (removing the firmware with a generic one)... They have to provide you unlock code if the contract has ended or if you are willing to pay for what is remaining. They may charge you a small fee anyways, but a small fee. Nokia and some providers have had some problems like this one before. If I recall correctly, in UK. I don't know how it ended, but I suspect Nokia have the winning cards, since from the point of view of commercial rights, you have the contract with the provider and not with Nokia, so is the provider the one that should give you the unlock code, more even if the contract has finalized.

Couple more things:

1. moderators - please forgive me if this question doesn't belong to this forum. I did the search and didn't find an answer.
Lina

It's ok.

2. could someone please in a simple way explain to me what is the DCT* and what are the differences between DCT2, 3, & 4? How do I know which one my phone would be?

Thanks,
Lina

They are different generation of phones. Basically, for the sake of unlocking them, they all have different methods. DCT2 and DCT3 phones can be unlocked with a simple clip, while DCT4 need to have a different kind of hardware attached, what we call a "box" or a DCT4 flasher. The hardware dedicated for DCT4 is much more expensive, in the range from €150 to €400+, and also the same hardware is used to repair phones (that's why any repair shop should be able to unlock a DCT4 phone also).

Now, your phone, a 6682, is another history. It's a new technology called BB5 or Base Band 5. Still there's no public solution to unlock this phone. So, currently, the only way is asking your provider for the code.

I hope this explains!

Best regards
Edge

subway999
25-04-2006, 02:05 AM
EdgeCrusher from what I picked up in America, all Cingular ae bothered about is selling phones

Their customer support is rubbish(Please see my post on 3220 phone and incorrect SIMS)

I have asked several times for an unlock code for the phone, and I have been told "We dont do that"

Also when you require warranty on a phone, the only option is,, if its not a software problem, is sending it back to Nokia, turnaround three weeks!

I feel sorry for americans, coz you just spend most of your time bashing your head against a brick wall!

Linica
25-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Edge, thanks a lot for your answers.
I guess I'll try to bother Cingular once again to give me the code.

Subway999 - I agree w/ you. Sometimes after so many years I still have to explain to my friends overseas that "I cannot use my phone anyway I please", or "with Sprint, you can't do text messaging..."

I just wish I never bought this new phone and never renewed my contract w/ Cingular, I'm such a sucker :(

Thanks again guys and I'll keep checking in case someone finds a hack.

Lina

Usually, when you buy the phone directly from Nokia, they are NOT locked and they have a generic firmware, meaning, no customized menus, functions, etc. It does make a difference... usually, buying directly from Nokia is more expensive. However, Nokia is correct when they tell that you should contact Cingular, since they are the ones who should supply you an unlock code. They deliver it usually by SMS or by mail.

The sim is not accepted since the phone is locked. Don't give up yet... Cingular HAS to provide you the code. You can even threat them legally. The bad news is that only they can help you, not Nokia not even a flashing the phone (removing the firmware with a generic one)... They have to provide you unlock code if the contract has ended or if you are willing to pay for what is remaining. They may charge you a small fee anyways, but a small fee. Nokia and some providers have had some problems like this one before. If I recall correctly, in UK. I don't know how it ended, but I suspect Nokia have the winning cards, since from the point of view of commercial rights, you have the contract with the provider and not with Nokia, so is the provider the one that should give you the unlock code, more even if the contract has finalized.

It's ok.

They are different generation of phones. Basically, for the sake of unlocking them, they all have different methods. DCT2 and DCT3 phones can be unlocked with a simple clip, while DCT4 need to have a different kind of hardware attached, what we call a "box" or a DCT4 flasher. The hardware dedicated for DCT4 is much more expensive, in the range from €150 to €400+, and also the same hardware is used to repair phones (that's why any repair shop should be able to unlock a DCT4 phone also).

Now, your phone, a 6682, is another history. It's a new technology called BB5 or Base Band 5. Still there's no public solution to unlock this phone. So, currently, the only way is asking your provider for the code.

I hope this explains!

Best regards
Edge

m_laver
04-05-2006, 09:23 PM
I feel sorry for americans, coz you just spend most of your time bashing your head against a brick wall!

I just wish I never bought this new phone and never renewed my contract w/ Cingular, I'm such a sucker :(
Lina

I wish I would have read this before I bought my 6682 today.

Subway, You are correct, cingular (or any other large corporation)does not care about customers, treating people as customers or retaining them. But they have the largest service area in the US. As a US consumer, you have to research anything and everything and not count on sales reps as they have no knowledge as to what they are really selling. Most US sales reps are just there to collect a paycheck. If I have said anything that has offended anyone, I'm sorry. I'm just calling it as I have been treated and as I have seen it.