PDA

View Full Version : nokia 6100 problem

opsw
28-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and it's my first post~ yeah~

Not that happy for writing my first post... because my phone got problem....

A few days ago, my phone hang, and I have to remove the battery in order to reboot it, it is still working well after that. Two days later, it hangs again (I've had this phone for 3 years already, but not hanging before), for this time, I do the reboot by removing the battery, but this time, it ask me to set up the date and time. Here comes the problem, it's ok to set the date and time by using the arrow button. But if I use the number key when setting the date and time, it will hang again. It's not really hang, it's like it switched off automatically, but I can switch it on again by pressing any other key on the phone, strange. And also, the phone will switch off automatically if I touch it. I mean if I just switch it on and leave it on the table, it won't switch off, but when I hit the key, it will hang.

I've opened up my phone and clean it up thoroughly, all the contacts were clean now and in good working order, just that the memory battery is having 0.76V, would that be too low?

Any idea will be appreciate

many thanks
Colin

tulun
30-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi, wow 6100, a beauty .. I love this phone. OK, as you've said before....
test the backup batt and 0.7v, that is too low, try replacing the battery. My 6230 also got the same problem, but it only lag in time & date setup,for a few seconds.Not before the backup batt runs out...so again my suggestion is try replace the backup batt.

opsw
31-10-2005, 01:44 PM
But where can I get a battery? (I'm living in UK) This one is so small and I have never seen one in the market. And also, is it difficult to take the battery out? It seems that the battery is soldered to the its terminal.

tulun
31-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Well, the backup battery is easy to get. Just walk-in to the watch shop or electronic shop and ask them for that kind of battery,make sure you bring the sample.

The battery is, yes soldered into the terminal,but with some soldering skill,you can remove it, but you have to do some modification for the new battery to fit.
If you're not so sure about it, I suggest you send the phone for repair.

Here in Malaysia, there's a lot of mobile shop out there that offer the repair service with a little charge as low as USD9 ( RM30 here in Malaysia ).I don't know in UK.

opsw
02-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh, seems it's better for me to take it to repair. Unfortunately, I've went down to the town hopefully to have it repaired, but they don't do on site(that's a nokia authorized shop). And also, not much 3rd party phone repair shop in UK... :'(

My origin is HK, it's the same as Malaysia, a lot of mobile shop around. I'm going back soon for a holiday, maybe I will get it sorted by that time. (Though I'm working in the electronic department in a university, I don't think my soldering skills is good enough for that tiny things....). Anyway, thanks for the help.