PDA

View Full Version : Is my Nokia 6230 Destroyed? Please Help...

H17E5H
30-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi,

I recenlty took my Nokia 6230 to a friend who owns a Phone shop to have a LCD screen replaced, which he did but replaced it with a Nokia 6230i screen without knowing, The phone powered up but instead of the normal Nokia logo appearing the screen went fuzzy. He didn't expect anything like this as the 6230i Screen fitted exactly to the original 6230 screen, so he took it off and replaced it with the proper 6230 LCD screen he tried to power it up again but it wouldn't and still won't.

Just wondering what the problem could be? Has the 6230i screen destroyed my phone?

Please help... :(

electrophoretic
30-10-2005, 01:39 PM
the first thing i would do, if the phone is still under warrenty, is send it back to Nokia and tell them it just died :P , i cant see ANYTHING in the schematics that would explain your phone dying like this unless the new display has blown some LED Driver Transistors... in which case the phone would still power up, its just the backlights wouldnt work... can you confirm that the phone is actually TOTALLY dead?? if it is then the only thing i can suggest is to Flash the phone and after that buy a new one as the display is tied into the TIKU (CPU)!!

Hope this Helps

G

H17E5H
30-10-2005, 03:45 PM
the first thing i would do, if the phone is still under warrenty, is send it back to Nokia and tell them it just died :P , i cant see ANYTHING in the schematics that would explain your phone dying like this unless the new display has blown some LED Driver Transistors... in which case the phone would still power up, its just the backlights wouldnt work... can you confirm that the phone is actually TOTALLY dead?? if it is then the only thing i can suggest is to Flash the phone and after that buy a new one as the display is tied into the TIKU (CPU)!!

Hope this Helps

G

Thanks for the advice.

The phone is completely DEAD, it doesn't power up at all even when i plug in the charger, the charging icon doesn't appear.

I had the phone flashed as i was told it could be a software error but this still hasn't bought it to life.

Is there no way of getting the phone to work e.g Replacing with another screen or part? as there is important stuff in the phone which i would like back :-(

tulun
30-10-2005, 06:48 PM
As you've said that, you can flash the phone, but nothing appear, it means that the phone is still alive so you can flash it. How about returning back to 6230i display? Is it OK or K.O?

I suspect that the problem is in the display area. It will turn on but no display, may be you can hear the classic nokia startup sound or you can hear the keypad sound but no display. Try replace with 6230i display and see what will happen.

electrophoretic
30-10-2005, 10:14 PM
this one has really got me... i have looked at the schematics for the 6230 and the 6230i, i cant see a thing that would cause this... i might have missed something so i will mull it over some more but PLEASE when you find the solution POST IT!! you can be sure someone else will try to "upgrade" thier phone in this way!!!

G

H17E5H
30-10-2005, 11:31 PM
this one has really got me... i have looked at the schematics for the 6230 and the 6230i, i cant see a thing that would cause this... i might have missed something so i will mull it over some more but PLEASE when you find the solution POST IT!! you can be sure someone else will try to "upgrade" thier phone in this way!!!

G

I would be grateful if you could get to the bottom of this as this has really stumped me too...

I've tried to turn the phone on several times and it doesn't power up at all, theres no Nokia tune or keypad tones, its completely KO'd.

I've had it on charge for a while and there doesn't seem to be any life not even the charging icon :(

tulun
31-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Have you tried the 6230i display ?
How about new fully charged battery?
Also check the power switch ( I've seen somebody pushed very hard, damage the switch )
Most nokia phone is famous with the battery contact easily damaged..check it.

DaveLister
31-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Try pushing the power button down for a few seconds with a charged and known working battery in the phone. I have a 6230 that doesn't charge, and have to press the power button down (not hard though) for a couple of seconds before it charges. If you don't have a spare battery buy a desktop charger off Ebay and try that.

electrophoretic
02-11-2005, 08:38 PM
dunno if this would help but here is what "I" would do if faced with a 6230 that doesnt power up at all... even yours...

First i would check the current consumption using a Digital DC Power Supply, if the phone draws anything from 4 - 70 mA before OR after pressing the power button then i would Flash the phone using my UFS box... IF the phone set the UI Defaults (SIM Locks, Sec Code etc) at the end of the flash then i would know that the phone powered up to do this, if the phone STILL doesnt power up after flash then i would know that there is an underlying issue... like missing or damaged power switch or dry jointed RF IC, i would check the current consumption again to see if the phone IS powering up and its not just the display thats Dead!! normal consumption goes from about 4 mA then jumps to like 80 - 150mA!!

IF the phone draws NO Current or 70mA or more then i would reflow the UPP (CPU) the Flash IC and the PA (RF Amp) and measure the current again... if still the same then phone is DEAD!! if it has changed to that mentioned in the first case then flash the phone and keep your fingers crossed!!!

Hope This Helps

G

NokDoc
03-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi,

Whatever the problem, it is NOT caused by this screen swap.

I have put my 6230i screen into a 6230 too.

Useless, but nice mosaic image, completely full only random coloured dots.

Still that way I could see the 6230 still worked, only it's lcd was broken.

After replacing with a correct one, both phones worked correct again.

To me, most likely the guy fitted the 'old' lcd, while thinking he was putting the new one.

Oh, ps, the 6230 in broken state had also no reaction at all when starting it.

Appearently it halted when booting at the point it couldnot find it's lcd somehow.

My idea is try with another 6230 lcd, from which U know it works.

NokDoc