PDA

View Full Version : Error while reading Nokia 3310 Flash? Help!

charlie_tango
08-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi!
I am facing a problem while reading the flash from my Nokia 3310. When I try to read it with Nokia DCT3 Flasher by Rolis (v 4.78 Build 006), I get an error: Unkown Flash Type. Flash ID: 002088CE. When I try to read it using Knox95, I get an error also: Cannot prepare phone. I am using Dejan Interface on LPT1 for flashing. I tried with a Nokia 3395 and the flash was read without problems, so it means that the interface is working fine. I also upgraded my phone from 3310 to 3315 with KNOX95 (using a MBUS cable) and it worked fine.
I have read this forum trying to find answers to my problem. So far, I have done everything posted here (clean contacts, resolder IC pins)...but no success. I still need to flash my phone with a new language pack.
The features of my Nokia are: Software & HW: v 06.33 28-11-03 NHM-5
Any suggestions please?

mestrini
08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Rolis flasher is a program that gets phones and flash chips values from inside the exe while Knok does it from an external file. This means that when new chips and models came out Rolis should have been updated. But that's up to Rolis and he stopped developing it.

To fix this problem you can update Knok configurations files and use it to flash more recent DCT3 models

I won't tell you how to do this in this thread since it has been covered before, so better use the search feature and look for the solution

cheers

charlie_tango
09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks for answering so quickly.
I, in fact, found what I was looking for thanks to your guide. I was using the wrong software. I used Nokix and I could read and write to the phone by updating the configuration files of this software. I could successfully update the flash (as I can see the changes in the fonts and other features). Unfortunately, when I get the SIM card back to the phone, I get an error message that says: SIM Card not accepted. What could this be due to? Any ideas please? I was not expecting this and I am really worried with this resutls.
Thanks again!

NokDoc
09-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi,

Try unlock it.

And maybe U have to check and change Ur imei to Ur own one too.

NokDoc

charlie_tango
12-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi!
Well, I finally could use the phone with the flash I uploaded to it. It keeps restarting every 10 seconds or so. I updated the FAID succesfully (using NokTool_by_Rolis19). But still keeps restarting. I don't know what the problem could be.
There are quite a few things I don't quite yet understand. All these issues about MCU and PPM are quite confusing for me. I backed-up the full flash of my Nokia3310 using the same soft above mentioned. The file is 4.194.305Kb, so, it is quite large than the rest of flash I have seen out there. When I am to upload a new flash to my phone, do I have to check the option: "Don't erase before write"?
Another thing. Can somebody point me to a tutorial out there where I can understand all about MCU and PPM and flash files as such?
Any tips or ideas will be welcome.
Thanks

NokDoc
12-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi,

3310:

- Full Backup = 2.097.152 bytes = Mcu & Ppm & Eeprom.

- Upgrade file = 1.900.544 bytes = Mcu & Ppm.

- Language Pack change = Ppm, must be same as current Mcu version.

- Modding file: 1.900.544 bytes = Mcu & Ppm.

- Repair file: use socalled virgin Eeprom, or a complete full backup file U can find.

Don't flash eeprom area if there's no need to.

Ur own full backup will always get it back to the state when U read it.

Ur problem is, U not used a good file, it seems to have a bad flash checksum. (fchk)

If it was a modified flash (1.900.544) U can try to recalc or disable it (them) in the tools before U flash them.

If it was only an upgrade file, the checksums supposed to be set already by the factory, which would mean they never need a recalc.

The cable Faid command will ALWAYS work, but can be worthless with a bad checksum.

The phone will work, but have no network and keeps rebooting.

NokDoc

charlie_tango
12-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi NokDoc,
Great piece of information. This is something really usefull that has helped me clear out a few doubts. So, everytime I intend to upload a new flash to my phone, the first thing should be to check the flash checksum (fchk) and then write it to the phone, right? I still have not figured out why my full flash backup is over 4Mb!
By the way, few of the site I have tried to download full flash files from have broken links. Any suggestion for good full flash files?
Thanks again!

sergo_zmeia
13-12-2005, 05:49 PM
I guess it is so big cause U have made it from a 3330 nokia..not 3310...but..I U can flash it to Ur phone..than U have a 3330 phone..not 3310..easiest way to found out Ur phone model...open it..put pcb with elements side to U /powe up button up side/..now U will see 3 frames covered with shields...remove the shield of the one below...the biggest chip..in the middle is CPU...right from it there are two smaller..the upper one is flash chip..read its signature..if its 160=3310 if 320=3330..
Post some results..Ill give U a good FUBU with virgin eeprom in it..
Regards!
sergo_zmeia

charlie_tango
13-12-2005, 06:14 PM
I might defintely do that, but every software I have used to read the phone info has stated that it is a 3310 NHM-5 (Mainly Noki2.4). Besides, using PPMEdit 1.a to read the full flash file read from the phone, I get the following:

MCU Info:
Phone Type: 3310 SW-Type:NHM-5
Version: V 06.33 Release: 28-11-03

PPM Info:
Phone Type: 3310 SW-Type:NHM-5
Version: V 06.33 :ang: B Release: 28-11-03

Thanks for the info...I will post results after checking it. But it looks pretty obvious that it is, in fact, a 3310.

sergo_zmeia
13-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Do as I said...100% garanty..
Regards!
sergo_zmeia