PDA

View Full Version : is this possible?

spida_singh
25-10-2002, 12:02 PM
hi,after exploring my phones,changing text,screen bitmaps,menus etc...

i was just wandering if there is any possible way of changing the emergency telephone number,i had this idea 4 a wile,but dint no really how u cud change it,so i am asking the nokia experts,would it be possible to change the phone number,so that,when u rang,it was free!!!

I herd on other forums before that you could only change it 2 a 3 digit number as the deafult one is '999',but seeing how we have made animation,tones,and text longer,why cant we just make this number longer

Where is the emergency number stored,and what can be done to change it??

cheers

spida!:)

Matique
01-11-2002, 12:16 PM
Exellent idea i have no idea but can see where your going withit

Ill have a look around for you but can you let me know how you get on

mat

Kilrah
01-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Must be possible to change because it's not the same in all countries... eg. here it is 112!
I've seen that NokiaProfile can set it to 999 so maybe if we could listen what the program sends to the phone... it would be possible to get the address!
Interesting thing to look at...

But the problem must not be in the phone, but on the network's side... it also knows what number to allow to call for free!

Kilrah

spida_singh
01-11-2002, 08:16 PM
hmmmmm,surely there must be sum way to bypass your network finding out,would they block ur number,or imei, if they found out the free number had been changed??

n e 1 know where the number is stored??

cheers guys

spida!

joel2600
01-11-2002, 09:01 PM
if you can get to the *3001#12345# menu on your nokia phone, you can edit the emergency numbers in the phone from within that menu.

once you set a number as an emergency number, when you dial that number, it will say 'attempting emergency call'. what this is doing is sending the call with an emergency flag attached to the call.

about 7 or 8 years ago, this method used to work to give people free calls. it still does in some places.

since there was an emergency flag attached to the call, the call would always go through. the more that people started to do this, the more the cell companies started cracking down on it.

so now, instead of your call going through, no matter what number you dialed, your call will be forwarded to the proper authorites, in the united states this would be 911.

some cell companies around the world have not caught onto this yet, and you can still make calls this way. if you do get passed to the police, just tell them you dialed their number by mistake, instead of hanging up. this way they won't bother to try and trace your call thinking it was an emergency.

anywhere in north america this is not going to work, and you will always end up talking to the police. good luck.