PDA

View Full Version : MP3 files on my 6682

PeakCelln
29-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi all, I scanned this section for an answer to my question before I posted and couldnt find one; so if this is redundant, I appologize. I have a lot of customers asking me how they can compress the mp3 files on their MMC cards (in both 6682's and 6230's) so they can fit more songs on a 512 and 1gig card; without losing quality. I thought I had read of a way with a software download, but I could be mistaken. Thanx in advance.

EdgeCrusher
29-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Well, mp3 is one of the more compressing file formats on the scene. As far as I know, the only way to make an mp3 file smaller is reducing the quality. I really doubt that with a cell phone and earplugs one can clearly discern between a 128kbps mp3 file, a 192kbps file and a 256kbps file...

Anyways, if I recall correctly, at 192kbps, mp3 format has a ratio of about 1MB per minute of audio. If you have a 1GB card, and half of it is destined to mp3 files, that makes 512 minutes of audio... which is a lot, probably more than what the phone can reproduce without emptying the battery.

So... I would say: tell your clients to sample the mp3 files at 128kbps, and check if -in the cell phone- they notice any substancial difference. I don't think so really. If you'd like a software recommendation, CDex 1.51 (freeware) does that job pretty well. Slow, but with good results.

I hope this helps a little!

Best regards
Edge

bugmenot
29-04-2006, 01:30 PM
you could try oggvorbis too:
http://symbianoggplay.sourceforge.net/S60NonMMF.html

Its newer than MP3, and it claims that you can get CD quality at 64kbit. In reality its really up to you what bitrate you find acceptable, but you'll get better quality than MP3 at lower bitrates

its only for series 60 phones tho (you cant install good software on a 6230 because isnt series 60). it also might be complicated to tell your customers to go get a program that can convert ogg, and also to install the oggplayer on the phone.

just advise them to buy a bigger MMC card and enjoy the extra profits :)