PDA

View Full Version : E61 won't connect to PC

abhmnj
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I have a Nokia E61 that's locked up with an unknown security code (it asks for "Lock code" when turned on). I'm trying to follow wesh's guide to dump the data from the phone.

I've got a CA-53 cable that seems to be good (tested okay according to pin-outs on web), but the phone doesn't register on my PC when it's plugged in.

Once, while powering up the phone, it caused the PC to recognize something, but then the phone powered itself off. If the phone powers on fully, then the PC doesn't see anything at all.

Any idea what I can do to make the PC see the phone?

bcatlock
07-01-2008, 01:50 AM
I have a Nokia E61 that's locked up with an unknown security code (it asks for "Lock code" when turned on). I'm trying to follow wesh's guide to dump the data from the phone.

I've got a CA-53 cable that seems to be good (tested okay according to pin-outs on web), but the phone doesn't register on my PC when it's plugged in.

Once, while powering up the phone, it caused the PC to recognize something, but then the phone powered itself off. If the phone powers on fully, then the PC doesn't see anything at all.

Any idea what I can do to make the PC see the phone?

try powerin on without sim......does it ask code then????
exactly what is message,,??????
default phone code is 12345,but that is the phone code...
an i not familier with weshs guide,but a ca-53 cable is a usb cable,it would require you to put drivers in 1st,reboot then plug mob in.

abhmnj
07-01-2008, 02:33 AM
I have been turning it on with any SIM installed.
The display when turned on (after showing "NOKIA"), is just that: "Lock code:"
(with a space to enter the code underneath).

Believe me, I've tried the default code many times. It's not that.

I've already installed the Nokia drivers for USB. The problem is that when I plug the cable in, the computer has no reaction whatsoever. The device manager doesn't show any new USB devices.

Like I said, once, when hitting the power on the phone with it plugged in, the computer did show the message saying that it saw a new USB device, but then the phone shut itself off right away and the computer then showed an error message regarding the lost USB connection.

It seems like the E61's USB connection is under software control on the phone side, and the phone has locked the connection out. Is there any other way to access the phone?

bcatlock
09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I have been turning it on with any SIM installed.
The display when turned on (after showing "NOKIA"), is just that: "Lock code:"
(with a space to enter the code underneath).

Believe me, I've tried the default code many times. It's not that.

I've already installed the Nokia drivers for USB. The problem is that when I plug the cable in, the computer has no reaction whatsoever. The device manager doesn't show any new USB devices.

Like I said, once, when hitting the power on the phone with it plugged in, the computer did show the message saying that it saw a new USB device, but then the phone shut itself off right away and the computer then showed an error message regarding the lost USB connection.

It seems like the E61's USB connection is under software control on the phone side, and the phone has locked the connection out. Is there any other way to access the phone?

lock code it askin for,is network unlock code.....do not enter anything,,if you av u may permanently lock ur phone,,,,
you r using the wrong sim ,,,,try using phone without any sim,,,,mob will go in offline mode,,,,,,,,
ur phone islocked to a network,,,,,,u need that networks sim to power it on it wont ask u code then.

abhmnj
10-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I have been powering up the phone with no SIM inserted.
It still asks for Lock Code, and won't go into off-line mode.

After 5 tries, it says that I can't try again for 15 minutes
(although it comes back and asks for Lock Code right away again).

I have no idea what network the phone may have been used
with before. There are no markings on the phone at all.

Is the phone only unlockable with a BB5 UID box or something like that?

bcatlock
10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
that sounds like a 3rd party program,,,,,,,do hardware reset,but this will delete anything,like pics,progs etc,it be as it was from factory.

abhmnj
11-01-2008, 07:28 AM
I would like to do a hardware reset. How do I do that?

(I've already tried typing some documented codes into the keyboard: no effect.)

abhmnj
09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I figured this one out myself (with a lot of Googling).

To connect the phone to the PC, I had to put it in "test mode". To do this, you:
1. Remove the battery
2. Put some electrical tape over the battery's middle contact.
3. Bend a 4.7K ohm resistor to fit between the middle and - contacts.
4. With the resistor over the phone's contacts, reinsert the battery.
5. Power on. The phone should come up in test mode.

I was then able to access the phone using NSS and then used NSS to do a factory reset (just retrieving the security code didn't work). The phone and I are happy now!

(According to some other posts I saw later, the resistor should have been 7.5K-8.2K ohms for this phone, but 4.7K seemed to work okay. The suggested resistor varies per phone model.)