PDA

View Full Version : Help with Nokia 6300

Allie18
10-01-2008, 05:34 PM
First of all, hello - I'm new here!

Secondly yes I know it's a BB5 phone and can't be unlocked with free codes and whatnot.

My friend gave me her (previously on O2) Nokia 6300. This sounds VERY dodgy but honestly it's true - she thought she'd lost it, phoned O2 and got sent a new one, and then subsequently another friend found the phone at their house, where she'd actually left it. So she'd already got a new phone from O2, and donated the old handset to me.

I have an Orange PAYG SIM - when I put it into the phone, the Orange logo comes up where the operator logo goes at the top left-hand corner of the screen and it gets a good signal and everything. But it won't make or receive calls or text messages. Does this mean it still needs unlocking, or is there some other problem? I presume we wouldn't actually be able to get an unlocking code from O2 seeing as I can't imagine them being happy about her 'lost' phone suddenly turning up when they've just forked out for a replacement, and even less happy about her now wanting to use a different network's SIM in it.

bcatlock
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
orange,,,,normally wont giv signal,if blocked,,,,,,your nokia would say,
sim regestration failed,but work normally in another phone.
best to do is put a voda sim in,(cos that gets network,even if blocked).dail out,if you hear three high pitched bleeps,then phone has been reported,and now blocked,,,anything else like call failed,or whatever,,,,then id suspect hardware prob.or a prob with phone locks,try reset 1st.also this is symbian phone,,,it may av virus....unlikly but possible.....i,d go for ---- you are in offline mode----
there setting somewhere,for it to ask you to use offline or online mode,when you power on mob...
or if u only av ur orange sim,,,,,put it in (making sure you are not in offfline mode)dail out,,,,,,,,,three high pitched,,try it in normal phone,to see if sim is working properly,if ok in other mob,then it is blocked,,,,,,not alot you can do then with that mob,,,,,u will still b able use it for txting,,,,but no calling

Allie18
10-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks...it does say 'SIM registration failed' when I first put the SIM in, but then the Orange operator logo and signal still comes up. I tried dialling out with the Orange SIM in the phone and it just said 'connection error', no high-pitched bleeps or anything. My SIM works fine in my old phone. I guess maybe O2 blocked the phone when my friend said she'd lost it, then?

Allie18
21-01-2008, 10:38 PM
OK so O2 had blocked the phone, so my friend phoned and asked them to unblock it. They said it would be done in 72 hours...that would've been Thursday evening. I was checking it every now and then and it still wasn't working, and then suddenly on Saturday night it worked - I had signal, I received a text message and everything. Great, I thought - so I put my SIM back into my old phone for five minutes so that I could transfer all my stuff from that phone onto my computer. But when I put the SIM back into the new phone, it wouldn't work and was just saying 'SIM card registration failed' again. Any ideas, anyone?