PDA

View Full Version : Handset Manager for 7650

eppy
21-11-2002, 08:49 AM
Do anyone know if exists a program like Handset Manager by Mobile Action for our Nokia 7650? I asked them on www.mobileaction.com.tw but they said me doesn't exists up to now. So I ask you: is there a program for PC to synchronize and manage all contacts on 7650? The Nokia PC Suite is only able to backup our phonebook but is not able to manage (modify, delete, add and so on) each single contact.

Please help me!!!! :confused:

mydonnay
21-11-2002, 09:15 AM
Do you have Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Express)?

I synchronize, manage (edit and add) using Outlook then synchronize using Nokia PC Suite.

eppy
21-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Do you do this with Contacts in Microsoft Outlook?

mydonnay
21-11-2002, 09:23 AM
yes :)

do you want help how to do it? do you have MS outlook 97 or 98 or 2000 or Lotus Notes or organizer?

eppy
21-11-2002, 09:35 AM
Do you do this with Contacts in Microsoft Outlook?

eppy
21-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Yes I have Outlook XP

mydonnay
21-11-2002, 09:44 AM
Great!

you can use Outlook to manage your contacts :) then once your done, use Nokia PC Suite to synchronize it :)

Enjoy :)

Z82
21-11-2002, 10:46 AM
On the subject of synchronising Outlook....

Im sure when I first installed PC Suite it would add entried in both directions but now if for example Outlook has an extra contact that my phone doesnt when I sync PCSuite deletes that contact from outlook but if it is the phone that has the extra contact then it gets added to Outlook.

I am aware there is a setting to tell PCSuite which one overwrites which but I want them to update in both directions otherwise I can only make changes to either outlook or my phone but not both.

eppy
21-11-2002, 12:26 PM
In fact, and i think it's not good.....therefore I'm searching for a software like Handset Manager....if someone has it, please TELL MEEEEEE!!!! :(

mydonnay
21-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Z82
On the subject of synchronising Outlook....

Im sure when I first installed PC Suite it would add entried in both directions but now if for example Outlook has an extra contact that my phone doesnt when I sync PCSuite deletes that contact from outlook but if it is the phone that has the extra contact then it gets added to Outlook.

I am aware there is a setting to tell PCSuite which one overwrites which but I want them to update in both directions otherwise I can only make changes to either outlook or my phone but not both.

I never experienced what you experienced because I don't add contacts using my phone :)
I always use Outlook to manage my contacts (add/edit/delete). This way you'll avoid the problem of deletion by PC Suite.

Z82
21-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by mydonnay

I never experienced what you experienced because I don't add contacts using my phone :)
I always use Outlook to manage my contacts (add/edit/delete). This way you'll avoid the problem of deletion by PC Suite.

Yeh I try to do that but what if you are out and about and someone gives you their phone number?.... Do i have to go back to the old fashioned method of writing it on a bit of paper till I get home?

mydonnay
21-11-2002, 04:33 PM
First I don't call it old fashioned way since whether I add/delete/edit contacts in phone or PC nothing is deleted.

It depends on users configuraton on the program.

If you are aware or very familiar on how to use Nokia PC Suite, I'm sure you know that there's an option for us to change the default settings in Nokia PC suites' syncronisation.

Note: if you don't change the default settings in Nokia PC suites' syncronisation, then you will meet the deletion issue that you are experiencing.

The most important item to configure is you need to define which will be the "Master Device" - your PC or your phone? if the user don't configure this or selected PC as the master device... then deletion will happen.

There's an option to choose between "Device overwrites PC" or "PC overwrites device" and another option to choose is the Directionss whether to update both and etc....

Let me know if I can be of help :)

Kobayashi2B
21-11-2002, 07:46 PM
mydonnay,

dude pls further elaborate on this last post of yours! thanks!
I never did know re that setting! well, I learn more and more each day here in the forum.

thanks dude!

grasey
21-11-2002, 09:08 PM
I use outlook xp and it works fine.

Kane
21-11-2002, 11:22 PM
It works fine for both Outlook XP and Lotus Notes. I use Outlook XP at home and Lotus Notes at work:)

mydonnay
22-11-2002, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Kobayashi2B
mydonnay,

dude pls further elaborate on this last post of yours! thanks!
I never did know re that setting! well, I learn more and more each day here in the forum.

thanks dude!

I will post the complete instruction (step by step) afterwards on how to configure Nokia PC Suite correctly so that users will not experience the "deletion" in 7650 contacts after running the synchronisation.

mydonnay
22-11-2002, 04:18 AM
Kobayashi2B,

Nokia PC Suite Synchronisation (Contacts):

Important: Create a task before synchronising your contacts:

[FROM 7650 to PC] This task means PC Suite will update your contacts in your Outlook. PC Suite will copy the contacts from 7650 to PC.

1. Open PC Suite, select Synchronise at the left frame
2. Select Contacts
3. Select Synchronise (located in the toolbar not the Sync now button) and select Configure tasks
4. If no task is define under contacts, click New Task button. Select PC Scheduler window should appear in your screen.
5. Select the PC Scheduler or the program that you are using (either MS Outlook or lotus), once selected, click OK
6. Contacts synchronisation options window will be displayed in your screen. Click Change button.
7. Under Details tab select "all details"
8. Under General Tab, select Device overwrites PC then select Only copy device entries to PC.
9. Under Microsoft Outlook 97/98/2000 tab, select the profile that you want PC Suite to synchronise. Click Apply and click OK
10. You can schedule it or run manually by clicking Properties (of the task)
11. make sure that your phone & PC Suite is connected using BT or Infrared. Hit the Sync Now button. PC suite should start synchronising.

[From Outlook/Lotus to 7650] This task means PC Suite will update your contacts in your 7650. PC Suite will copy the contacts from PC to 7650.

1. Follow steps # 1-7
8. Under General Tab, select PC overwrites device then select Only copy pc entries to device.
then follow steps in item # 9 - 11.

[Both direction] - This almost the same as the above but you need to configure if 7650 will overwrite PC or PC will overwrite 7650.

No deletion will happen in both devices (7650 or PC) if you configure the task properly and choose which device is the "master" :)

Deletion in 7650 will happen if the task is not configured properly and if the master device is the PC. So make sure that you choose which is the master ;)

Z82
22-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Thanx mydonnay but that is what I was doing and also in the "Both Direction" setting it was still deleting.

I tried this workaround though:

[FROM 7650 to PC]

1. # 1 - 7
8. Under General Tab, select PC overwrites device then select Only copy pc entries to device.
9. # 9 - 11

[FROM PC to 7650]

1. # 1 - 7
8. Under General Tab, select Device overwrites PC then select Only copy device entries to PC.
9. # 9 - 11

This is back to front and what it does is that for instance:
[FROM 7650 to PC] Its copying all entries from your 7650 and puting them into your PC but because its set that PC overwrites 7650 no overwriting is carried out cause it only works in one direction but this method is no use if you have changed an existing contact detail on your 7650 as it wont touch the detail on your PC

Maybe its my phone as its been acting wierd since I did a reformat :confused:

mydonnay
22-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Thanx mydonnay but that is what I was doing and also in the "Both Direction" setting it was still deleting.

If you created a task to synchronise or update in "both directions" you must decide which will be the master device in case there will be a conflict in entries. If your 7650 contains new entries or you edited contacts using 7650, the task should be configure as "device overwrites PC" for conflict entries.

There will be a deletion in your phones' contacts IF you're synchronisation task is configured to "PC overwrites device (7650)" using both directions synchronisation.

[FROM 7650 to PC] Its copying all entries from your 7650 and puting them into your PC but because its set that PC overwrites 7650 no overwriting is carried out cause it only works in one direction but this method is no use if you have changed an existing contact detail on your 7650 as it wont touch the detail on your PC

Wrong setting you got there mate. If you will use [FROM 7650 to PC] you need to select "device overwites PC" not "PC overwrites device.
If you will choose "device overwrites PC", synchronising will SURELY touch the detail in your PC.

Go figure :)

I've been using all the synchronisation task (7650 to pc, pc to 7650 and both directions) and all is well....

Just configure the task correctly and synchronising is the best and easier way to update the device or the PC. No need to get other software (of course I will grab one if it's Free LOL!).

Maybe its my phone as its been acting wierd since I did a reformat

you did a hard reset? I did it 6 times in my phone (hard reset) but no problem so far (cross finger here)... but if you think there's something wrong.. bring it to Nokia center for a "check-up" :)