PDA

View Full Version : Gain 400kbyte additional memory on your 7650!

IronBird
21-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Hi Guys!
Because of the little memory space on the 7650 I just tried soemthing out and it worked :-)
If you use a tool like eFileManager you can see that the phone has a drive d:. Actually I donīt know what it is good for, but on my device there is 400 kbyte of memory left to use. So I opened a new folder on that drive an copied my ebooks in there. Once you opened the ebooks with the eFileManager, HandyBook remembers where the book is stored, so you need the eFileManager only once.
Afterwards you can delete the old file, thats it!

benn007
21-11-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by IronBird
Hi Guys!
Because of the little memory space on the 7650 I just tried soemthing out and it worked :-)
If you use a tool like eFileManager you can see that the phone has a drive d:. Actually I donīt know what it is good for, but on my device there is 400 kbyte of memory left to use. So I opened a new folder on that drive an copied my ebooks in there. Once you opened the ebooks with the eFileManager, HandyBook remembers where the book is stored, so you need the eFileManager only once.
Afterwards you can delete the old file, thats it!

Just a question! The software I transfer to the d: will it functioning normally??

Benn :) :) :)

mydonnay
21-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks for sharing this "tip" :)

IronBird
21-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Well I just tried out the ebooks. Donīt know if you can install software there. Actually I donīt think so because the phone will not find the software. But maybe you give it a try. But you could definitly save pictures or something like that there. Its more like a storeroom ;-)

benn007
21-11-2002, 05:10 PM
Ya... you are right, just like a store, don't let it waste!!!!

Thanks for sharing your tips man!!!

IronBird
21-11-2002, 05:15 PM
:-) Happy if I can support this community, You are great guys!

DavidLanz
21-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Wow ...I love this place~~

thanks for ur tips!!!

mydonnay
21-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Benn,

It might not run since the installation is for drive c: (default) unless authors programmed their software to be run in drive d: or z:

One program that can is....Bemused software (new version- a program that can control winamp via BT) will allow the program to be run in drive d:

just want to inform everyone... Bemused is still freeware :) http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~ashley/bemused/

tiger42
21-11-2002, 05:28 PM
The D: drive should only be used for storing files temporarily, because the contents are completely erased when you turn off your phone...

Symbian
21-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Oh no,dont do this!!!
The drive D is a temporary drive,what is like ram.
if u reboot your phone,the files or apps.will even be delete.
And in some cases u will crash the phone.
(if there is more memory need,and so the phone want to move out the datas on the D,it will not have enough place,and let crash down the phone.

I know,it would be nice,but it is to dangerous!!!

mydonnay
21-11-2002, 05:34 PM
I'm glad that our forummates here are quick in giving warnings :)

I haven't followed the tip (but actually plan to transfer my images there) he he :)

now that you mentioned that it will deleted... uh-oh.. better not to mess with the drives....

benn - you've read what they wrote? don't do it :)

IronBird
21-11-2002, 05:35 PM
SH.... you are right. Itīs a RAM drive. Sorry guys. Would have been nice.
:(

benn007
21-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Ya... I'm reading now...

You guys are getting fast to reply...

I'm shock... I just leave for ten minutes, and there will be many replies already...

The idea is good, but of course, the nokia won't be that stupid to make something without a reason, it might can be a temp storage mem place, just act likes RAM.

Anyway, Happy to see you guy that ACTIVE in this forum.

Thanks for sharing all the above opinion!!!

Don't forget, KEEP IT ON...

hongkongphooey
21-11-2002, 10:15 PM
Isn't that wot we're 'ere for...to try 'n test things and if they do/do not work well so be it!

to boldly go where no1 has gone b4 .... or something like that!

Its really important, and very welcomed that every1 is thinking of how to make their 7650 more than just a weighty phone that certain people disregard as a step back to the past.

Small minds generate 0 ideas - keep up the good work guys 'n gals

:-D :-D

Z82
22-11-2002, 11:59 AM
I tried an experiment yesterday to increase memory space.

Experiment #1
I compressed memory with Task Manager.
The free memory showed exacly the same size as it was before I compressed it... Why?

Experement #2
I used eFileManager and went to c:\system\install\ where all the *.sis files are which summed up to a fair bit of memory usage so I thought the programs are all installed so I only really need the *.sis for uninstalling them right? so I deleted all the ones that I was sure I wouldnt want to uninstall. After this operation every program worked fine but my free space was still the same size... Why?

Symbian
22-11-2002, 05:11 PM
the 7650 will not know that u delete the install-sis.
this is not what Symbian-OS normaly allowed.
So the phone can not handel it....

how u guy now wanna remove one day your apps?

(ok,maybe u can overload the prog.again,and then remove it,but i am not shure about)

but the idea is not bad.....