Thread: GEN explained

EdgeCrusher is offline Super Moderator

GEN explained

I've seen a lot of people wonders what GEN means, and thus asks for a code request. Since code requests are not allowed in this forum, and I understand most people is able to generate the code by themselves with a little knowledge, I've decided to post a little explanation of what does GEN mean.

I hope this helps a little and reduce the code requests, and the quantity of users banned. Please forgive me for the gramatical mistakes, english is not my mother tongue.

I've posted this same answer on the general forum, and a little explanation of GEN is on the FAQ section, but most people does not seem to make a search before posting, they don't even read the rules.

If moderators find this a little helpful, maybe they will make it a sticky.

My best regards and best of lucks in the unlock process
    Edge

-------------------

What GEN means:

When a provider locks a phone to a certain network (or nokia for the sake, sometimes I understand they do), they use a piece of hardware called dongle.

That dongle has a serial number in it and defines a part of the dct4 algorithm, the mathemathical algorithm that results in the seven codes that calculators give to you when you ask them to calculate.

You can try to see that change changing the GEN variable. You will see that almost all the codes seems the same, but the first numbers of the codes slightly change.

Now, when you have to calculate the right code for you, you must use the same serial number that was used to lock the phone. The denominations like v2, GTCL-001, Prodigy, ONE, Original, etc, they all denominate a serial number. We call it GEN, but sometimes we call it box, boxSN, etc.

To know which is the right box to your phone, it is good to sometimes post a new thread on the forum, because probably someone already generated a working code for that provider and model and knows which is the serial that works.

For a basic rule of thumb or as an starting point, type *#0000# on your phone. If the firmware is old, '03 and backwards, let the GEN, or boxSN on v2, or sometimes GTCL-001, depending sometimes on the model (for example, the majority of 1100s are locked with GTCL-001, 33552, but newest models are using other boxSN, like Original or even asic6).

If your software is newer, '04 and forward, probably Original will work, but there is not a constant. For example, newest 1100s as I said before are using Original, sometimes ONE, even asic6 boxSN. Virgin, as posted by Mr. Gieffel, is using a specific box, 32811 if my memory does not fool me.

So, in asbtract:

When generating a code, there are four variables. Three of them are static, while one is dynamic:
    a)Imei: that is a static variable, every phone has a different and unique imei.

b)Network code: static variable also, every provider has a unique network code.

c)asic type: static variable. Depending on your phone, it's gonna be one and just one asic type. Too see which ASIC is your phone, go to http://nokiaport.de/unlock/asictype.php

d)GEN, or boxSN: dynamic variable, because there is not rule to know which dongle was used to lock the phone.

The best way to find out the appropiate boxSN to use, is doing a search on the forum by your phone, the network that it is locked to, etc., because it's probably already there (as an example, this question and explanation has been made several times before ), or in case you do not find anything, posting a new thread.

Hope this helps a little!
    Best regards
    Edge

fatboymal is offline Registered User
    EdgeCrusher,

A good guide, but it contains a few inaccuracies you may wish to correct.

A phone is not locked with a certain serial. It is simply locked.

An unlock code is calculated with a serial.

As these serials are published on forums such as this, Nokia changes the firmware on new phones to reject certain serials, a "blacklist" of known serials if you like. Hence v1 and v2 do not work on some new models.

However, "new" serials - that is serials that are not "blacklisted", do work on older phones. Hence you can use just about any serial on a really old phone!

So the trick is to use a serial that you know is not blacklisted as yet - and use it on all phones.

How to find a "safe" new serial, that is one that is not blacklisted? Easy, pay for an unlock code from a network for a new model of phone, then extract the serial number from it (search on old posts on how to do this).

Mmm, I'm a little lost here. Are you completely sure about it? As I understood, newer serials were compatible with older firmwares because there is a logical argument that must be followed to generate a valid code. The provider locks the phone using one of the possible variables that follow the logical argument.

So when they release a new serial, it is just another valid variable that complies with the logical argument. But not the only one. The firmware dictates which variables are valid or not to generate a valid lock. That way they can blacklist a dongle that has scaped the security barriers.

If my memory does not fail, I got that info here, and saw it confirmed in gsmhosting. But this is internet and we have two Dejans, so it well may be a good joke

Let's see if we can make this clear, because as I see both arguments are perfectly valid hehe...

Best regards
    Edge
    Last edited by EdgeCrusher; 18-04-2005 at 09:47 PM.

gsmsolutionsltd is offline Registered User
    This explains.....

The history of unlock codes, Version 1, Version 2, and Griffin Nokia unlock codes. What are the differences, when to use them and why they exist?? Read This article to find out!

Ok a lot of people have requested to read an article on this topic and I will share my views on why there are different variants of Nokia unlock codes.

It will be easier to explain this chronologically so prepare your self for the history of Nokia unlock codes! When unlock codes originally appeared they were in the form of software as they are now but the software was dongle protected. The dongle actually contained the program code which calculated the Nokia unlock codes and the software acted as a front end to display the codes. The dongles calculated only one type/variant of unlock codes (known today as version 1 codes). These codes worked great for many months, but I guess Nokia got a little unhappy with this situation and as a result more and more people were reporting that these codes were not working on the odd 7650 and 3510i's.

And so came the release of some new unlock code software, again dongle protected. The new software produced a different variation of unlock codes. These so called newer codes could still unlock all the old DCT4 handsets but could also unlock these awkward 35101i's and 7650's. A lot of the GSM traders loved this as they had just made loads of bucks selling version 1 dongles and now they began to sell these newer dongles/software at an extra high price! This newer software calculated codes that today we call version 2 codes.

Sadly no one really analysed the difference between these two variations of unlock codes, well not until some considerable time had past. Or if they did no one announced it publicly (for money reason I guess). I will give you an example and lets see if you can spot the difference:

IMEI: 111111111111111
    MCC+MNC: 23433
    Orange UK
    Type: 2

#pw+239555457767356+1# Version 1 codes
    #pw+229555457767356+1# Version 2 codes

THAT'S RIGHT! The only difference between the two codes is that the 2nd digit has had 1 subtracted from it (zero goes to a nine). Of course eventually this was spread around the forums and many people that had purchased the original software and then upgraded to the new software felt a little cheated! Over time the price of the unlock code software became lower and lower (about 30 towards the end).

As always within the GSM scene someone managed to extract the code hidden within these dongles. As a result a small DOS based program was released into the GSM scene, namely:
    dct4nck.exe by jozso

This was free software and meant absolutely anyone could calculate their own nokia unlock codes! To use it you had to be a little familiar with DOS command lines. For those that are the usage of this free software required three parameters, as you would expect: 1) locktype, 2) IMEI, 3) provider
    Although there is also a mysterious optional 4th parameter called box serial, which we will discuss later.

The screen shot below shows an example using dct4nck, the optional 4th paramater [boxserial] can also be seen:

By default this program generated version 1 codes. Although it was free it was not very easy to use. Therefore a flood of shells that acted as a front end to dct4nck became available. Many of these shells you will find in my downloads section. At this point I would like to make clear that all free DCT4 unlock code calculators (including those in my downloads section) use dct4nck by jozso in the background. At present the actual DCT4 unlock code algorithm has still not been made public! These shells could easily manipulate the output of dct4nck to produce version 2 codes. So again for a few months everyone was calculating DCT4 codes without problems.

Nokia decided to fight back again! But this time they were a little more creative. Nokia realised that for us to calculate the correct unlock code we (us unlockers) required the MCC+MNC (Mobile Country Code + Mobile Network Code) for the network the handset was locked to.
    e.g MCC+MNC for Orange UK = 234 33.

For a long time these provider codes have been public knowledge and there are many websites that list these provide codes like this site:

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

Traditionally these codes have always been 5 digits in length ( 3 digits for the country and 2 digits for the network within that country). For some networks Nokia started to used extended MNC (Mobile Network Codes). This meant that the full MCC+MNC could now be as long as 8 digits. The GSM gurus out there soon cottoned on to what was going on and software utilities were developed that can read the extended MNC value directly from the phone. To explain this with an example may help:
    Virgin in the UK used to use the MCC+MNC 23400 (5 digits), when version 2 unlock codes began to fail on Virgin 3510i's the reason was because virgin (in conjunction with Nokia) had adopted a new extended MCC+MNC of 234 00001.

So long as we kept an updated provider list of MCC+MNC codes unlocking Nokia's was again very easy!

Nokia did throw up one final surprise for AT&T 3650 owners in the US. For a long while no one could unlock certain AT&T 3650's! The reason for this was Nokia changed the MCC+MNC for the AT&T network. Rather than use an extended MCC+MNC Nokia changed it to a completely random 5 digit code (24407 instead of 3103. But to add to the confusion this new code was only apllicable to certain 3650's within a particular IMEI range. But after time the soloution was found to be:

Vodafone Sweden also tried something different but the soloution to unlocking their handsets proved to be as simple as entering code 4 followed by code 1.

So we have pretty much come to present day. Nokia have tried to counter the easy ability in which their handsets can be remotely unlocked and to some degree its worked but those that keep up to date with the latest software / shells continue to unlock Nokia's easily!

What Box Serial Numbers are Used These Days?
    So what's all this stuff you have been hearing about these newer box serials and code variants all about? Well to this day so long as you are using the correct MCC+MNC version 2 codes still work just fine! There have been rumors that the new 3200 and 1100 cannot be unlocked with version 2 codes. It is for this reason that people have been releasing newer code variants. These code variants come about from using different box serial within dct4nck.exe by joszo. Remember the mysterious 4th parameter I mentioned above used in the dct4nck DOS program? Well this is where they come in to use. Below is a list of code variants and what box serial is used to calculate them:
    32820 - v1
    33820 - v2
    33552 - Griffin Clip
    32819 - Griffin (old)
    34144 - Griffin (new)
    33821 - prodigy codes
    32779 - original codes

Any of the variants above other than version 1 codes will unlock any Nokia on the market! Whether any of these newer variations will prove to be more successful than version 2 codes is yet to be proved or disproved.

Those that are wondering where the terms Griffin and Prodigy come from:
    Prodigy is the name of a DCT4 flasher that also generates codes Nokia unlock codes.
    Griffin is also the name of a DCT4 flasher that includes an unlock code generator. Griffin also produce a "clip" that when linked to a computer produces Nokia unlock codes.

So part of the reason we see many different variants is due to these DCT4 flasher manufactures that choose to include Nokia unlock code calculators in their software that produce different codes to those that we are familiar with (the reason they have done this is unclear).

A software utility has recently been released that can deduce the box serial used from any unlock code. Download DCT4Key.

With the release of this utility it is no doubt that further working box serials / code variants will be released. As mentioned previously the value of these different variants is yet to proved.

I was recently advised that any box serial beginning with 33 or 32 will unlock Nokia phones successfully! I think this is probably true, although I have not been able to test this theory personally.

Why do Box Serials Exisit at All?
    So why are there different box serials at all? I heard a very interesting theory which I believe to be true.

Apparently Nokia distributed 2000 original unlock code dongles around the world. These are the dongles Nokia supply directly to the mobile networks so that the networks can calculate unlock codes for their customers. The dongle that was originally sold to by GSM traders around a year ago was a clone from an original Nokia dongle (presumably one stolen from a network provider). The dongle that was originally cloned calculated what we call version 1 codes.

The theory is that EVERY Nokia phone can accept 2000 variants of unlock codes. So for example a phone with IMEI 123456789012345 and provider 12345 can accept 7 x 2000 unlock codes!

Nokia realised that one of their dongles must have been cloned. So Nokia analysed codes that were being posted by unlockers on the internet (they also look in forums!). They then discovered which one of their original dongles had been cloned. Nokia then just 'deactivated' that dongle ID/serial in their NEXT firmware/software updates. This is what happened when unlock codes began to fail for 3510i's and 7650's.

So each network is issued (by Nokia) with an unlock code dongle with a unique serial number. If Nokia feel that a particular dongle has been lost or cloned they can make it useless to unlock future handsets. But the GSM hackers have out done Nokia by finding the source which generates unlock codes for ANY serial number. It's as if we have all 2000 dongles at our disposal!

Will Nokia find a way to fight back? We will have to wait and see. I hope so or things will begin to get a bit dull and a bit too easy )

I would like to finish off by thanking you for taking the time to read this in-depth article. If you have any feedback or spot any errors please feel free to contact me. And finally if you would like to use this article please ask my permission!! I normally say yes and all all I ask is that you supply a link back to my site and say thanks to me! It took me a considerable time to write this ).

Thanks to dan from unlockme for this info

xtream is offline Registered User

Great

Great stuff man but could ad some of the latest software aswell

alucard_0 is offline Registered User

hi

hi im mexican i want say hello to everyone and i like to know how can i configurate the nokia calculator.
    i unlocked some nokia but there were some that i cant......
    i read in others forum that i need configurate but they dont say how....
    please, who can help me or in which page can i see and study...

thanks....

gsmsolutionsltd is offline Registered User
    I have attached a step by step guide for operation of my FoneCalc, hope this helps you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

alucard_0 is offline Registered User

Thumbs up thanx

Quote Originally Posted by gsmsolutionsltd
    I have attached a step by step guide for operation of my FoneCalc, hope this helps you.

thankx gsmsolutios for ur guide..............

thankx

superman is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmsolutionsltd
    ...This meant that the full MCC+MNC could now be as long as 8 digits. .....
    I have seen 13 digit mcc+mnc code, read by twister, for about one year now.
    (all different digits) calculating did not work only cable unlock did the job.

Quote Originally Posted by superman
    I have seen 13 digit mcc+mnc code, read by twister, for about one year now.
    (all different digits) calculating did not work only cable unlock did the job.
    It will be very helpful if you post detailed info, as country, networks, phone models, firmware dates and versions, etc.

Best regards
    Edge

superman is offline Registered User
    e.g.
    log from twister:

1100b v422
    SLconf: 310-99-90100000000 tracfone usa

3120b v0501
    SLconf: 344-34-23563583000 c&w caribbean

Barny007 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeCrusher
    c)asic type: static variable. Depending on your phone, it's gonna be one and just one asic type. Too see which ASIC is your phone, go to http://nokiaport.de/unlock/asictype.php
    That I want. Too see which ASIC are different Nokia models. But now it's the site down. Perhaps somebody know one alternative site.

Thanks.

True... it is down.

Here's a relatively updated info.

Normal S40 (all the phones not listed here): Asic 2
    DCT-4 Phones Symbian S60 (z.B. 3650/3660/7650/6600/Ngage/NgageQD): Asic 5
    DCT-4 Phones UMTS S45 (6650/7600): Asic 7
    DCT-4 Phones Tiku (6230): Asic 6

6620 while it's symbian, it is an Asic 2 type

Best regards
    Edge
    Last edited by EdgeCrusher; 23-12-2005 at 04:09 AM.

feby is offline Registered User

6670?

hy i live in romania and i was wondering if to or not to buy a nokia 6670...this thing depends if it can be unlocked or not..
    so pls tell me what asic is and if it can or not be unlocked,
    10x in advance

feby is offline Registered User
    ohh c'mon guys gimme the answer i know i know i don't have a personal life , well u'r wrong that's my xmass gift a new mob phone and i had to chose between sagem myx 6-2 and nokia 6670 but ofcourse the problem with the operator ocoured ... and so... now i'm in a pikle ...
    so can 6670 be unlocked and if so how ??

Cosmictej is offline Moderator
    yes the 6670 can be unlocked using
    asic 5
    box: 32779 (orignal)

Tej

dbagve is offline Registered User

whats a v2.50

This is what my fone gives me when i press*#0000# . some ...any information would be great

st_service is offline Registered User

Angry I need Nokia Asic List

I have been looking for a complete Nokia Asic list with every model but it seems no one wants to give this out!

If anyone wants to help, I will compile a list in PDF format and make it available to everyone, not just the people who keep it a secret for the Unlocking Business or for Donations for their services which will not be as needed if this list was available!

Also, I will make a list of gen codes with models afterwards! For the same above reasons!!!!!!!!

Check the update note on asic types that I left above. Far from that there's not too much.

The main problem is listing the local variations of any country. That's why it's easier to do an excluding list than an including list. Since almost all local variations are asic2 type, it's far easier to include the others and exclude those.

Anyways, if you are willing to compile a complete list of all the models, of course I would be glad to help you.

About the GEN or serials list, on that point I would be more careful. Mr. mestrini and others including me have been testing some serials and some error messages on that point. Mr. mestrini made a sticky about serials study that is very interesting.

Anything you may want, you can contact me through PM.

Best regards
    Edge

Largo11 is offline Registered User
    I have "Calc by Yeti v1.8" and I want to add a new GEN (Original). I have number(32779) and I can't add a new GEN. I try in "Box Serial" but it fail. Please help me!!

hipek is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Barny007
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeCrusher
    That I want. Too see which ASIC are different Nokia models. But now it's the site down. Perhaps somebody know one alternative site.

Thanks.
    New URL for nokiaport.de list is: http://www.nokiaport.de/index.php?mid=2&pid=asic

Quote Originally Posted by hipek
    New URL for nokiaport.de list is: http://www.nokiaport.de/index.php?mid=2&pid=asic
    Thanks for the link update.

Best regards
    Edge

JoeGons is offline Registered User

Mnc

It's a pitty noone came up with a way to calc the MNC given the unlock code,Box serial and IMEI.
    That would be really neat.
    Australia Vodafone comes to mind. All is not what it seems.
    Joe

Candi_433 is offline Registered User

help me..

Ok so I just read your article hoping to try and understand what the unlock code for my nokia 6300 could be and I got very confused. Are you able to help me? my IMEI is: 357671014970856 its locked to Vodefone Australia and is a 6300 handset... Thanx if you can help

The history of unlock codes, Version 1, Version 2, and Griffin Nokia unlock codes. What are the differences, when to use them and why they exist?? Read This article to find out!

Ok a lot of people have requested to read an article on this topic and I will share my views on why there are different variants of Nokia unlock codes.

It will be easier to explain this chronologically so prepare your self for the history of Nokia unlock codes! When unlock codes originally appeared they were in the form of software as they are now but the software was dongle protected. The dongle actually contained the program code which calculated the Nokia unlock codes and the software acted as a front end to display the codes. The dongles calculated only one type/variant of unlock codes (known today as version 1 codes). These codes worked great for many months, but I guess Nokia got a little unhappy with this situation and as a result more and more people were reporting that these codes were not working on the odd 7650 and 3510i's.

And so came the release of some new unlock code software, again dongle protected. The new software produced a different variation of unlock codes. These so called newer codes could still unlock all the old DCT4 handsets but could also unlock these awkward 35101i's and 7650's. A lot of the GSM traders loved this as they had just made loads of bucks selling version 1 dongles and now they began to sell these newer dongles/software at an extra high price! This newer software calculated codes that today we call version 2 codes.

Sadly no one really analysed the difference between these two variations of unlock codes, well not until some considerable time had past. Or if they did no one announced it publicly (for money reason I guess). I will give you an example and lets see if you can spot the difference:

IMEI: 111111111111111
    MCC+MNC: 23433
    Orange UK
    Type: 2

#pw+239555457767356+1# Version 1 codes
    #pw+229555457767356+1# Version 2 codes

THAT'S RIGHT! The only difference between the two codes is that the 2nd digit has had 1 subtracted from it (zero goes to a nine). Of course eventually this was spread around the forums and many people that had purchased the original software and then upgraded to the new software felt a little cheated! Over time the price of the unlock code software became lower and lower (about 30 towards the end).

As always within the GSM scene someone managed to extract the code hidden within these dongles. As a result a small DOS based program was released into the GSM scene, namely:
    dct4nck.exe by jozso

This was free software and meant absolutely anyone could calculate their own nokia unlock codes! To use it you had to be a little familiar with DOS command lines. For those that are the usage of this free software required three parameters, as you would expect: 1) locktype, 2) IMEI, 3) provider
    Although there is also a mysterious optional 4th parameter called box serial, which we will discuss later.

The screen shot below shows an example using dct4nck, the optional 4th paramater [boxserial] can also be seen:

By default this program generated version 1 codes. Although it was free it was not very easy to use. Therefore a flood of shells that acted as a front end to dct4nck became available. Many of these shells you will find in my downloads section. At this point I would like to make clear that all free DCT4 unlock code calculators (including those in my downloads section) use dct4nck by jozso in the background. At present the actual DCT4 unlock code algorithm has still not been made public! These shells could easily manipulate the output of dct4nck to produce version 2 codes. So again for a few months everyone was calculating DCT4 codes without problems.

Nokia decided to fight back again! But this time they were a little more creative. Nokia realised that for us to calculate the correct unlock code we (us unlockers) required the MCC+MNC (Mobile Country Code + Mobile Network Code) for the network the handset was locked to.
    e.g MCC+MNC for Orange UK = 234 33.

For a long time these provider codes have been public knowledge and there are many websites that list these provide codes like this site:

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

Traditionally these codes have always been 5 digits in length ( 3 digits for the country and 2 digits for the network within that country). For some networks Nokia started to used extended MNC (Mobile Network Codes). This meant that the full MCC+MNC could now be as long as 8 digits. The GSM gurus out there soon cottoned on to what was going on and software utilities were developed that can read the extended MNC value directly from the phone. To explain this with an example may help:
    Virgin in the UK used to use the MCC+MNC 23400 (5 digits), when version 2 unlock codes began to fail on Virgin 3510i's the reason was because virgin (in conjunction with Nokia) had adopted a new extended MCC+MNC of 234 00001.

So long as we kept an updated provider list of MCC+MNC codes unlocking Nokia's was again very easy!

Nokia did throw up one final surprise for AT&T 3650 owners in the US. For a long while no one could unlock certain AT&T 3650's! The reason for this was Nokia changed the MCC+MNC for the AT&T network. Rather than use an extended MCC+MNC Nokia changed it to a completely random 5 digit code (24407 instead of 3103. But to add to the confusion this new code was only apllicable to certain 3650's within a particular IMEI range. But after time the soloution was found to be:

Vodafone Sweden also tried something different but the soloution to unlocking their handsets proved to be as simple as entering code 4 followed by code 1.

So we have pretty much come to present day. Nokia have tried to counter the easy ability in which their handsets can be remotely unlocked and to some degree its worked but those that keep up to date with the latest software / shells continue to unlock Nokia's easily!

What Box Serial Numbers are Used These Days?
    So what's all this stuff you have been hearing about these newer box serials and code variants all about? Well to this day so long as you are using the correct MCC+MNC version 2 codes still work just fine! There have been rumors that the new 3200 and 1100 cannot be unlocked with version 2 codes. It is for this reason that people have been releasing newer code variants. These code variants come about from using different box serial within dct4nck.exe by joszo. Remember the mysterious 4th parameter I mentioned above used in the dct4nck DOS program? Well this is where they come in to use. Below is a list of code variants and what box serial is used to calculate them:
    32820 - v1
    33820 - v2
    33552 - Griffin Clip
    32819 - Griffin (old)
    34144 - Griffin (new)
    33821 - prodigy codes
    32779 - original codes

Any of the variants above other than version 1 codes will unlock any Nokia on the market! Whether any of these newer variations will prove to be more successful than version 2 codes is yet to be proved or disproved.

Those that are wondering where the terms Griffin and Prodigy come from:
    Prodigy is the name of a DCT4 flasher that also generates codes Nokia unlock codes.
    Griffin is also the name of a DCT4 flasher that includes an unlock code generator. Griffin also produce a "clip" that when linked to a computer produces Nokia unlock codes.

So part of the reason we see many different variants is due to these DCT4 flasher manufactures that choose to include Nokia unlock code calculators in their software that produce different codes to those that we are familiar with (the reason they have done this is unclear).

A software utility has recently been released that can deduce the box serial used from any unlock code. Download DCT4Key.

With the release of this utility it is no doubt that further working box serials / code variants will be released. As mentioned previously the value of these different variants is yet to proved.

I was recently advised that any box serial beginning with 33 or 32 will unlock Nokia phones successfully! I think this is probably true, although I have not been able to test this theory personally.

Why do Box Serials Exisit at All?
    So why are there different box serials at all? I heard a very interesting theory which I believe to be true.

Apparently Nokia distributed 2000 original unlock code dongles around the world. These are the dongles Nokia supply directly to the mobile networks so that the networks can calculate unlock codes for their customers. The dongle that was originally sold to by GSM traders around a year ago was a clone from an original Nokia dongle (presumably one stolen from a network provider). The dongle that was originally cloned calculated what we call version 1 codes.

The theory is that EVERY Nokia phone can accept 2000 variants of unlock codes. So for example a phone with IMEI 123456789012345 and provider 12345 can accept 7 x 2000 unlock codes!

Nokia realised that one of their dongles must have been cloned. So Nokia analysed codes that were being posted by unlockers on the internet (they also look in forums!). They then discovered which one of their original dongles had been cloned. Nokia then just 'deactivated' that dongle ID/serial in their NEXT firmware/software updates. This is what happened when unlock codes began to fail for 3510i's and 7650's.

So each network is issued (by Nokia) with an unlock code dongle with a unique serial number. If Nokia feel that a particular dongle has been lost or cloned they can make it useless to unlock future handsets. But the GSM hackers have out done Nokia by finding the source which generates unlock codes for ANY serial number. It's as if we have all 2000 dongles at our disposal!

Will Nokia find a way to fight back? We will have to wait and see. I hope so or things will begin to get a bit dull and a bit too easy )

I would like to finish off by thanking you for taking the time to read this in-depth article. If you have any feedback or spot any errors please feel free to contact me. And finally if you would like to use this article please ask my permission!! I normally say yes and all all I ask is that you supply a link back to my site and say thanks to me! It took me a considerable time to write this ).

Thanks to dan from unlockme for this info[/QUOTE]

kost23 is offline Registered User
    Hi, im trying to unlock a Nokia 5230, but i'm not sure about which GEN should i use.

I leave here some info about the phone, maybe it helps:
    Code:
    Network: Vodafone - SPAIN
    Software version: 10.0.067
    Software version date: 02-10-2009
    Custom version: 10.0.067.205.03
    Custom version date: 21-10-2009
    Language set: 09
    Model: 5230
    Type: RM-588
    Can someone help me??

Thanks.

Gieffel is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kost23 View Post
    Hi, im trying to unlock a Nokia 5230, but i'm not sure about which GEN should i use.

I leave here some info about the phone, maybe it helps:
    Code:
    Network: Vodafone - SPAIN
    Software version: 10.0.067
    Software version date: 02-10-2009
    Custom version: 10.0.067.205.03
    Custom version date: 21-10-2009
    Language set: 09
    Model: 5230
    Type: RM-588
    Can someone help me??

Thanks.
    5230 (RM-58 is a BB5 model, DCT3/DCT4 calc is nor applicable
    no calculator available fo BB5 plarforms

Br

Quote Originally Posted by Gieffel View Post
    5230 ( RM-588 ) is a BB5 model, DCT3/DCT4 calc is nor applicable
    no calculator available fo BB5 plarforms

Br
    Thanks for the info Gieffel. So what method should i use to unlock it??

There's any BB5 calculator or something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by kost23 View Post
    Thanks for the info Gieffel. So what method should i use to unlock it??

There's any BB5 calculator or something similar?

Thanks in advance.
    there is no calcultor similar to DCT3/DCT4 generations

you have to use professional tools, the best is to find an unlock shop
    or ask to your provider, dependig conditions it can be free

br

Quote Originally Posted by Gieffel View Post
    there is no calcultor similar to DCT3/DCT4 generations

you have to use professional tools, the best is to find an unlock shop
    or ask to your provider, dependig conditions it can be free

br
    Thanks mate. I've already taken that decision.

dwik25 is offline Registered User
    I also have a 5230, From T-Mobile in the U.S. are all 5230's unlockable by code? or only certain ones?

Quote Originally Posted by dwik25 View Post
    I also have a 5230, From T-Mobile in the U.S. are all 5230's unlockable by code? or only certain ones?
    are you disccusing about "GEN" ?

I don't think it's the right place for your question

Regards
    Last edited by Gieffel; 22-04-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Thread Information